Need Some Recommendations For Service

deank1

Local time
Today, 01:13
First Name
Dean
My Ride
2000 Triumph Legend TT 900
Hey all! Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong thread. I have a 2000 Legend which is obviously the little sister to the Thunderbird. Recently, my starter clutch went bad and of course, it is buried in the engine. The bike has less than 9000 miles on it and it is in otherwise, immaculate condition. I could not afford the $1600 that the Triumph dealership wanted to repair it. Can anyone recommend an experienced Triumph mechanic in Central Pennsylvania? I’d hate to scrap the bike.

we have a member who recently did this job him self he had never done it before but did a great job !

check out this thread by member @B25bsaboy

Triumph Thunderbird 900​

Hey all! Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong thread. I have a 2000 Legend which is obviously the little sister to the Thunderbird. Recently, my starter clutch went bad and of course, it is buried in the engine. The bike has less than 9000 miles on it and it is in otherwise, immaculate condition. I could not afford the $1600 that the Triumph dealership wanted to repair it. Can anyone recommend an experienced Triumph mechanic in Central Pennsylvania? I’d hate to scrap the bike.
An independent bike mechanic will be a little less expensive up front and more expensive on the back end when he doesn’t do it exactly to specs.
Credit card time

Extreme Motorsports just a few miles north of Huntingdon, PA on route 22. Small shop run by one guy, so his availability is spotty and he generally has a backlog of work; so call him before you go in. He is not an experienced Triumph mechanic as far as i know, but I do trust him. His specialty is off-road machines, but I see him working on and restoring road bikes pretty regularly. If he says he can do it for you he will, and he will do it right; if he doesn't know if he can do it right he will tell you. He always has a huge backlog of work, which shows how much all of the locals have learned to trust him to fix whatever is wrong with their rides. I do all my own work, so I haven't used him for anything but parts, advice, and the purchase of one second-hand bike; but he is honest, and that is the most important trait in any mechanic.

This is the Achilles heel of the 900 T3 series motors, the earlier bikes were weaker but they're all susceptible and very early models had an access hatch for this, but your's wont. The weakness is acerbated by a weak battery and trying to start with low cranking amps. It is a motor out and strip down job, not for the inexperienced. You should find some video's on UTube or Fb and there is an upgraded replacement. An immaculate Thunderbird should be valued at about $3000 - $4000 so with your purchase price in mind there is some sense in having the job done. They're great bikes good luck.

your location aka town + state always can help. a GOOD-HONEST indy is next to DIY + having a factory manual for him can help as most real mechanics can get it right from there!! dealers are what they are + their overhead + profit margins cost you $$$$ + even dealers can screw it up!!!

It's not a difficult job for a skilled trained mechanic but a real stretch for a DIYer no more so than say a gearbox repair (the gearbox is in the same area) but like rodhotter says bike shops are in business and have to meet overheads. I've done this in a day but the first one took me longer. even so 8 hours at say $100 ph + parts makes the $1600 quote in the ball park.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom