Never again !

Spent 50 years working in machanical trades. Never had a desk job, and.I am afraid.I have the body to prove it. ...J.D.

FEDEX just brought me.these yesterday. Working on filling.in the blanks in the toolbox. ...J.D.

Metric tap & dies.jpg

I’m inspired, at 60 I could have 20 plus quality years ahead! I dream of a space for my cars, motorcycle and wood shop when I retire. My wife retired a few years ago, but being the youngster I need to work a bit more.

Just an inexpensive set, but it fills in the blanks. I plan to replace any breakage with higher quality pieces. This is a way to get started. I machine some of my own pieces. My tap & dies have been pretty much bits and pieces, but I have a mini lathe and a large drill press. From my experience [retired almost 12 yrs.] it is best to buy the big stuff BEFORE you retire. I have two shops on this property. I bought it back when things were a lot cheaper, and I was a lot younger. The Covid-19 thing has given me new focus. I plan my projects a little ahead now so I am not setting around for a week waiting for pieces. ...J.D.

Lathe-01-2020.jpg

Just an inexpensive set, but it fills in the blanks. I plan to replace any breakage with higher quality pieces. This is a way to get started. I machine some of my own pieces. My tap & dies have been pretty much bits and pieces, but I have a mini lathe and a large drill press. From my experience [retired almost 12 yrs.] it is best to buy the big stuff BEFORE you retire. I have two shops on this property. I bought it back when things were a lot cheaper, and I was a lot younger. The Covid-19 thing has given me new focus. I plan my projects a little ahead now so I am not setting around for a week waiting for pieces. ...J.D.

View attachment 47999
I’m looking to get a metal lathe and mill before I retire. Wise words.

Do you have some experience in the machinist's trade ? ...J.D.
I’ve worked as a mechanic during my college years and had some machine shop courses so I’ve done it a bit, and always was drawn to machining parts. We had some old milling machines from WW1 naval ships donated to our college. They were old when I used them in the early 1980’s, but they were functional. I do all my own work on my cars and motorcycle and I have good experience in all things mechanical from drawing to minor fabrication. Not an expert, but understand the fundamentals. I look for tips from experts, so I will draw on the experience of those I know.

My machine shop experience is much the same. A little here. A little there. I am not.great at it. But it beats playing video
games. One thing I have planned this winter is a new shift rod for my America. I did not like the position of the factory heel/toe shifter. I have removed the stop for the shifter on the left footrest and added a.piece on the rod to lower the heel position. I want to make a new, one piece rod out of some stainless hex stock to replace the existing temporary setup. ...J.D.

Looking forward to following your project!

My thinking is by remaking the shift rod out of a little stiffer material, it will make it's shifting a little more precise. Here is what it looks like with the current rod in place. ...J.D.

Heel_Toe Shifter.JPG

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom