New 2019 SS: Firm Suspension Questions

John Bakker

Local time
Today, 02:00
My Ride
2019 Street Scrambler
Is new suspension supposed to be this firm? Still breaking in my new 2019 SS. Only concern I have is the suspension, even with shocks in their softest preload setting. Both front and rear are really firm to me (I'm 155lb). I can feel every bump & ripple in the road. The bike handles great like a sport bike, but really is the suspension this firm when new from the factory? Do things soften up a bit over time? Appreciate comments from other new owners to see if there may be something wrong here or if this is normal. Thanks. John.

Think most factory suspensions are designed for a bit heavier rider. You can buy aftermarket springs/shocks designed for your weight and riding style. There are many riders out there that do just that and rave about the differences. May be able to soften the front a bit just by going with a lighter oil. Progressive makes springs for the front shocks of the last generation Bonneyvilles, not sure who makes any for the Street Scrambler.
Maybe try giving it a few weeks to see if the springs soften up a bit as they break in.

The default suspension settings on my Scrambler do give a firm ride. The dealer said the factory set them for a 190lb rider but I think that's a 225lb rider who tells folk he's 190lb. I'm under 180lb so I need to make some changes but despite the fully adjustable suspension I've yet to get a round to that.

On another tack, I hit the first service kms yesterday and it was a 2 ½ hour round trip today to buy the Castrol synthetic oil Triumph recommend. I did manage to buy an oil filter locally at Canadian Tire although it's a Fram equivalent. I'd have happily ordered on line from Triumph but they only ship to the nearest dealer. For me that would be a 6 - 7 hour round trip, so that's not happening. It may be a system that has merit in the UK or Europe but in Canada it's plain stupid.

The default suspension settings on my Scrambler do give a firm ride. The dealer said the factory set them for a 190lb rider but I think that's a 225lb rider who tells folk he's 190lb. I'm under 180lb so I need to make some changes but despite the fully adjustable suspension I've yet to get a round to that.

On another tack, I hit the first service kms yesterday and it was a 2 ½ hour round trip today to buy the Castrol synthetic oil Triumph recommend. I did manage to buy an oil filter locally at Canadian Tire although it's a Fram equivalent. I'd have happily ordered on line from Triumph but they only ship to the nearest dealer. For me that would be a 6 - 7 hour round trip, so that's not happening. It may be a system that has merit in the UK or Europe but in Canada it's plain stupid.
My dealer too is 2 1/2 hours away. They are GPBikes in Ontario. Check out their website. They did not have the oil in stock the day I bought my bike (recommend Castrol semi-synthetic, which they sell at $11.00/L.) They offer free shipping over $49 so are sending 7L to me for no extra shipping cost.
Thanks for your comments about suspension. At least I know there is nothing out of the ordinary with my bike and I hope it softens up a bit with time.

Think most factory suspensions are designed for a bit heavier rider. You can buy aftermarket springs/shocks designed for your weight and riding style. There are many riders out there that do just that and rave about the differences. May be able to soften the front a bit just by going with a lighter oil. Progressive makes springs for the front shocks of the last generation Bonneyvilles, not sure who makes any for the Street Scrambler.
Maybe try giving it a few weeks to see if the springs soften up a bit as they break in.
Thanks for your comments. I had considered the idea of lighter fork oil. Don't see any drain screws. Don't tell me the forks have to be removed and turned upside down to drain fluid!!!

The brand of oil that a manufacturer recommends is a business deal between the manufacturer (Triumph) and the oil producer (Castrol), What is important are the specifications and the weight. There is nothing wrong with Castrol; but there are a lot of very good motorcycle specific oils out there.

Thanks for your comments. I had considered the idea of lighter fork oil. Don't see any drain screws. Don't tell me the forks have to be removed and turned upside down to drain fluid!!!
Unfortunately, that may well be the case. If you have to do this, remove one fork at a time. .

The brand of oil that a manufacturer recommends is a business deal between the manufacturer (Triumph) and the oil producer (Castrol), What is important are the specifications and the weight. There is nothing wrong with Castrol; but there are a lot of very good motorcycle specific oils out there.

That's true but the Castrol synthetic that I bought and is as recommended was the only oil I could find nearby that meets the full spec. I'll have time to research alternatives before the next service. Compared to the cost of the bike, the cost of 'expensive' full synthetic oil is still peanuts really and I had a nice father's day ride out.

Check your tyre pressure because too much air your tyres will give a ride like you discribe, I’ve found that suspension softens a bit after 500 mile.

That's true but the Castrol synthetic that I bought and is as recommended was the only oil I could find nearby that meets the full spec. I'll have time to research alternatives before the next service. Compared to the cost of the bike, the cost of 'expensive' full synthetic oil is still peanuts really and I had a nice father's day ride out.
Glad you hasd a good Fathers Day ride. TUP

Don't know why GP Bikes would try to sell you semi-synthetic oil when Triumph recommends FULL synthetic. Can get Castrol 10W-50 full synthetic at Canadian Tire for $17-18 per litre and they sell 10W-40 Amsoil for a couple of bucks more. I ran the 10W-50 Castrol last year with no issues.

My 2019 Owner's Handbook says to use Semi or Full-Synthetic 10W40 or 10W50, so Castrol semi should be good. Perhaps I'll go to full synthetic once it's broken in.
Shaun64, thanks for your input.

Is new suspension supposed to be this firm? Still breaking in my new 2019 SS. Only concern I have is the suspension, even with shocks in their softest preload setting. Both front and rear are really firm to me (I'm 155lb). I can feel every bump & ripple in the road. The bike handles great like a sport bike, but really is the suspension this firm when new from the factory? Do things soften up a bit over time? Appreciate comments from other new owners to see if there may be something wrong here or if this is normal. Thanks. John.
I

Could be your tires. I was planning a trip so I set my rear shocks from 1, to 5.
Felt like I was riding in the back of a WWII jeep.
Changed from Metzlers to Pirellis and kept my shocks at 5. Now feels like floating Magic Carpet Ride

Interesting! At 155 lb, I find the springs very stiff even at the softest preload. The shocks handle well as the bike corners beautifully, but rough pavement will just beat me up. I only have 500 miles on the bike and am told that the suspension will soften up a bit with some miles. I like the shocks otherwise and am just wondering if anyone has modified the stockers to get even less spring preload. I'm looking at the adjustment track and wondering if I can deepen the groove for the softest setting a bit. What do you folks think of this idea? Anyone done this? Thanks.

I don't believe you will be able to deepen the groove on your shock to soften the spring enough for your liking. If you change the "ramps" on the spring adjuster you will have to try and change all 5 settings or else the difference from lowest to next may be too much to be able to compress the spring. Think you would be better off changing springs, or springs and shocks combined. Shocks would probably be too stiff as well.
Progressive can help you custom tailor a shock/spring for your weight and riding style. There are other companies that do this as well.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom