New E5 and E10 based ethinol petrol

Dejojo74

Local time
Today, 08:22
First Name
Paul
My Ride
Triumph legend 900 TT 2000
Will my 2000 triumph Legend 900 TT be ok to use with E5 Ethanol based petrol that's now coming to the UK..

Triumphs seem to have no problem with E10 ethanol here in the States. However, I mostly use non ethanol petrol.

Will my 2000 triumph Legend 900 TT be ok to use with E5 Ethanol based petrol that's now coming to the UK..
Hello Dejojo. It's well documented that ethanol can mess up carburetted bikes like your Legend, especially if left for long periods (+/-3 weeks or more). Ethanol is very bad news for carbs.
Why Your Carburetor Is The Problem | MotorcycleMD (not sure about the bacteria claim though, but the rest is spot on).
Here's the good news. I looked into this issue myself before buying my year 2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport (also carbed). The best solution is to add a bit of "Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment" every time you fill up, and especially when you winterize the bike if you decide to store it with fuel in the tank. The review below states that Star Tron "Removes water, breaks down impurities, increases performance, and improves your overall gas mileage." I've been using it for over a year and my bike runs great, no deposits and starts fine after being winterized.

PS I don't think the new E5 and E10 labelling means there is any more ethanol or biofuel in UK pumps - it's a new labelling system. However, it looks like ethanol content is set to go up in future:

"The majority of unleaded sold in the UK must contain up to five per cent ethanol under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation, though no such requirements are in place for super-unleaded."

I'm extra cautious so I try to fill up with Esso Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded, Shell V-Power Unleaded or (cheaper) Tesco Momentum 99.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hello Dejojo. It's well documented that ethanol can mess up carburetted bikes like your Legend, especially if left for long periods (+/-3 weeks or more). Ethanol is very bad news for carbs.
Why Your Carburetor Is The Problem | MotorcycleMD (not sure about the bacteria claim though, but the rest is spot on).
Here's the good news. I looked into this issue myself before buying my year 2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport (also carbed). The best solution is to add a bit of "Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment" every time you fill up, and especially when you winterize the bike if you decide to store it with fuel in the tank. The review below states that Star Tron "Removes water, breaks down impurities, increases performance, and improves your overall gas mileage." I've been using it for over a year and my bike runs great, no deposits and starts fine after being winterized.
I found in my T955i , 1.1/4" of mud crud and a pint of water , after purchase.
The bike has 50,000 kms clocked. And all steel was corroded in the tank. So I was fascinated to read the Arrival... So True ...!

I found in my T955i , 1.1/4" of mud crud and a pint of water , after purchase.
The bike has 50,000 kms clocked. And all steel was corroded in the tank. So I was fascinated to read the Arrival... So True ...!
That's not cool. Hope you managed to get it all cleaned out. Did you do it yourself or take it to a mechanic, Chris?

That's not cool. Hope you managed to get it all cleaned out. Did you do it yourself or take it to a mechanic, Chris?
Did it my self.
Mechanics now a days , would not recognise a "set of points".
Not hard doing mechanics, just take your time and common sense.
But like all things , you need the tools and a good relationship with a Auto Parts Supplier, on the same frequency.
Used a Toyota replacement pump and a small filter he found and good fuel hose. But have seen kits on EBay for about US$ 64.00 + p&p. Its the same kit for Triumphs , BMWs and Yamaha's , along with Toyotas , Opel , Audi, and 10 other brands or more.But there are tricks and tests you need to do.
With tools , I like to test a measuring tool against something , otherwise its just a Guess.
. And I painted all the steel with ferrous prime paint , then silver paint. I suppose U could use Galvanic Paint , but that could be highly reactive with petrol. So No to Gal Paint.
Also used a lot of Paper Towels, not Toilet paper , because that's Crap.
I use Mineral Turps and Mentholated Spirits for Cleaning.
Don't like to use Petrol , its too unprofessionally.
Chris

Many Thanks
Paul

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom