Joeracer44

Riding for 44 Years
Local time
Today, 05:26
First Name
Tim Peters
My Ride
2019 Speed Twin
Heading out to Woodstock Triumph to pick up my Speed Twin this morning, will post pics as soon as I can. It is red.

The Speed Twin is to replace a 2006 Buell XB9S not so much X which I am the original owner. About 5 years ago I began looking for a replacement for the Buell. I wanted a 1000cc+ twin, sporting standard, light, great handling and something that could be slowly crafted to be my bike. The only bike that even came close to this was the Moto Guzzi 8V Griso, but this bike was just to heavy and the bike felt to way long to me (says the guy coming off an ultra short wheelbase Buell).

Last week I happened in a dealer in Grand Rapids, MI that sells multiple brands, I was sitting on a Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe when the sales guy started asking questions. About 2 minutes into our conversation he says I got the bike for you and shows me the Speed Twin. I was impressed with the stats and overall look, quality and feel of the bike in the showroom. Last weekend after getting home from my trip to MI I called Woodstock Triumph to see if they had a Speed Twin on the floor, they had two.

I went Sunday (after the snow melt from our freak late April blizzard) and took a test ride. I was hooked before I left the parking lot. Bought the bike Tuesday night after seriously thinking about it, reading and watching reviews.

My plans for the bike are to add a stepped saddle for solo riding and upgrading suspension. I have already contacted Fox, Ohlins and Noleen to see if they will be producing aftermarket bits. Noleen replied no and have not heard back from Ohlins or Fox. Let me know if you have any info on aftermarket suspension pieces.

Look forward to others ideas and upgrades/customizing you plan to do with your Speed Twin. Let me know if you are going to Motoblot in Chicago in June.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 07:26
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville

Joeracer44

Riding for 44 Years
Local time
First Name
Tim Peters
My Ride
2019 Speed Twin
Ran through my first full tank of fuel today so here is my 130 mile report card -

Overall stock bike grade - B+ see reasons below -

Handling - on smooth pavement, excellent. On corners with the all to often frost heave here in North East Illinois the rear suspension lets the bike down. In a good lean and hitting a bump it wants to throw the rear end out and I wasn't even close to maximum lean. The front fork for having no adjustability is really good and I am pushing 230lbs with gear on. On straights with frost heaves or uneven pavement the front soaks it up but you get a nice kick off the back end.

Suspension - To keep the rear from dropping to far in the travel I adjusted preload to setting 3. No sag info so I went with 25 - 30mm which got me to preload setting 3 on the rear shock. I am sure this added to the not so smooth feel in the rear end on the bumbs. New shocks will be my first aftermarket purchase.

Riding Position - Really, really good. I am 6' tall and have a 31.5" inseam so I have a very long torso. I like a little more forward lean so will eventually drop the bars about a 1/4" either with different bars or through a new riser. However this can wait for my other planned changes.

Seat - Not a bench seat guy but my wife likes it (and doesn't that matter most?) I will eventually buy a second seat that has a bum bump to if for solo riding. The stock seat does put a little to much pressure on my inner thighs do to the location of the seam/rib. This may go away with more saddle time and getting acclimated to the seat. This seat does allow for really good side to side movement in S turns and I put about 30 straight miles on the highway with no issues. I am sure after getting used to this seat that 300 - 400 mile days wouldn't be an issue for me.

Engine - Glorious. I have been riding a slightly modified Buell XB9 that is putting out a dyno'd 86 WHP and 79ftlb torgue. The 9 motor revs to 7200 RMP so my Buell motor and the Triumph are very similar in overall numbers. With that said the Triumph pulls much harder right off idle and feels much stronger overall. The little 9 Buell makes most of its power from 4500 to 6800 RPM. Trying to keep the revs under 5000 RPM during break in but this engine is smooth and has a beautiful sound even with the stock cans. Could not ask for anything more. The engine breaking is also similar to the Buell and with all that torque down low I just keep it a gear high in the corners to prevent any jerkiness if closing the throttle mid corner.

Brakes - Front - Good feel but a little lacking compared to the massive ZTL Buell rim mounted system. When it comes time I will probably change to a more aggressive front break pad compound. One thing the Buell ZTL forces you to do is brake before the corner as they will cause the bike to stand up with even a small amount of brak

Joeracer44

Riding for 44 Years
Local time
First Name
Tim Peters
My Ride
2019 Speed Twin
My dog jumped on me and accidentally ended my Speed Twin review above - See below for the rest of the info -

Brakes - Front - Good feel but a little lacking in initial bite compared to the massive ZTL Buell rim mounted system. When it comes time I will probably change to a more aggressive front break pad compound. One thing the Buell ZTL forces you to do is brake before the corner as they will cause the bike to stand up with even a small amount of front brake input when leaned over. I am sure a change of pad compound will help with initial bite of the Brembo brakes..

The rear brakes are there, I typically only use a rear brake for trail braking or in an emergency stop when every inch matters. Didn't use the rears enough to give an opinion.

Styling - I fell in love with this bike when I first saw it so no plans on changing anything in the style department.

The single biggest thing from giving this bike an A is the rear shocks. For me they just aren't good and for a few hundred dollars more at MSRP a decent shock with rebound adjustment could have been spec'd. Good thing is this is a very easy change that should eventually have a lot of options.

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 06:26
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
The single biggest thing from giving this bike an A is the rear shocks. For me they just aren't good and for a few hundred dollars more at MSRP a decent shock with rebound adjustment could have been spec'd. Good thing is this is a very easy change that should eventually have a lot of options.
I have had two Bonnevilles and the factory suspension is merely adequate. It will do the job; but it is certainly not anything special. I upgraded front and rear suspension on both. It was like a new bike with the upgraded suspension. Every rider of Bonnevile famimly bikes I know (over 50 of them) has upgraded the suspension.

I have done nothing with the suspension of my Tiger 800XC. This suspension was really good ride out of the box.

xlfish888

Riding for 32 Years
Local time
First Name
John
My Ride
2019 Speed Twin
20190509_175827.jpg
Almost done with mods, waiting for x pipe. Suspension replacement when available.

ChrisAnglophile

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
Today, 20:26
First Name
Chris
My Ride
T955i
Heading out to Woodstock Triumph to pick up my Speed Twin this morning, will post pics as soon as I can. It is red.

The Speed Twin is to replace a 2006 Buell XB9S not so much X which I am the original owner. About 5 years ago I began looking for a replacement for the Buell. I wanted a 1000cc+ twin, sporting standard, light, great handling and something that could be slowly crafted to be my bike. The only bike that even came close to this was the Moto Guzzi 8V Griso, but this bike was just to heavy and the bike felt to way long to me (says the guy coming off an ultra short wheelbase Buell).

Last week I happened in a dealer in Grand Rapids, MI that sells multiple brands, I was sitting on a Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe when the sales guy started asking questions. About 2 minutes into our conversation he says I got the bike for you and shows me the Speed Twin. I was impressed with the stats and overall look, quality and feel of the bike in the showroom. Last weekend after getting home from my trip to MI I called Woodstock Triumph to see if they had a Speed Twin on the floor, they had two.

I went Sunday (after the snow melt from our freak late April blizzard) and took a test ride. I was hooked before I left the parking lot. Bought the bike Tuesday night after seriously thinking about it, reading and watching reviews.

My plans for the bike are to add a stepped saddle for solo riding and upgrading suspension. I have already contacted Fox, Ohlins and Noleen to see if they will be producing aftermarket bits. Noleen replied no and have not heard back from Ohlins or Fox. Let me know if you have any info on aftermarket suspension pieces.

Look forward to others ideas and upgrades/customizing you plan to do with your Speed Twin. Let me know if you are going to Motoblot in Chicago in June.
In Australia we have a Company that use to be Called Progressive Springs.
They manufacturer Ikon Rear Shocks and Springs , there Catalogue is OnLine.
They bought out the motorcycle side of Koni , and renamed it , by moving the I to the front.
Like a lot of companies, the parts are actually made in Taiwan. They imported into Australia, where they are checked and all the parts are Assembled here. Gives them Quality Control.
Made in a small town , called Albury - Wodonga. In New South Wales.
Family Company. They make the front and Rear Springs in Dual and Triple Compound Springs to suit the Weight of the Rider etc.
They will sell to you direct. No need for all that , go through a Dealer Rubbish , that massive companies insist on.
They use to sell Kits , even for 1970's rebuildable Koni's , but shocks have improved since then.
Hope that helps.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 07:26
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
I have Ikon shocks on my Bonneville. Excellent product TUP

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 06:26
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I installed Ikons on my 03 T100. I was well pleased.

Joeracer44

Riding for 44 Years
Local time
First Name
Tim Peters
My Ride
2019 Speed Twin
Going with the K-Tech shocks, talked to some guys I know who race and they highly recommend them. Will go through the dealer, part of my bike sale was a $200.00 gift card and 20% off my first accessory purchase. Going to add the stainless slip-ons, its only money.

Joeracer44

Riding for 44 Years
Local time
First Name
Tim Peters
My Ride
2019 Speed Twin
View attachment 43945
Almost done with mods, waiting for x pipe. Suspension replacement when available.
Is that saddle taller/thicker than the stock saddle? Do you feel the seams on the side? The stock saddle seam/ribbing on the saddle side irritates my thighs a bit after and hour plus of riding. It's not bad but will eventually put a different saddle on the bike.

xlfish888

Riding for 32 Years
Local time
First Name
John
My Ride
2019 Speed Twin
To be honest with you, I didn't put too much miles with the stock seat. Only from the dealer to my house, which is about a 10 minute drive.
The triumph accessory seat seems ok, I put around 170 miles on it so far. No issues.

Last edited:

xlfish888

Riding for 32 Years
Local time
First Name
John
My Ride
2019 Speed Twin
Nelson Rigg CL-1060-S2 Sport Tail bag.
The V & H is definitely louder than stock, but not obnoxiously loud. I prefer it a little louder though, so an x pipe will be ordered soon. My bike's not broken in yet, so I haven't really opened it up. I plan on putting more miles this weekend.

Joeracer44

Riding for 44 Years
Local time
First Name
Tim Peters
My Ride
2019 Speed Twin
Had a feeling that bag was an N/R bag, I am looking at the bag one size smaller than you have..

Joeracer44

Riding for 44 Years
Local time
First Name
Tim Peters
My Ride
2019 Speed Twin
New additions to the Speed Twin

Oil fill plug, stock one hard to grab
Brake and clutch levers, always upgrade these parts, really good levers make a difference in feel on how you connect with the bike. The red adjuster lever accents well with the red gas tank.
Nelson Riggs commuter tail bag, big enough for my every day ride stuff and it looks really good on the bike.Triumph 1.jpgTriumph 2.jpgTriumph 3.jpg

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Top Bottom