Shaggy5991

Riding for 8 Years
Local time
Today, 09:45
First Name
Chris Nelson
My Ride
14 Bonnie and 13 Tiger
Hey guys! I just picked up a 13 Tiger 800 from my local dealer with only 9k miles. They said the serviced it and changed the oil. I’ve put just over 400 miles in the week I’ve had it, checked the oil last night and it looks a little strange color wise, bike runs great just checking. I run Motul in my Bonnie so I’m sure it’s probably me just being paranoid with the new purchase. What you guys think?1EA4033A-B49B-483A-B0B8-27C198B927ED.jpegoil

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 29 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 10:45
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
I use Motul in all my modern bikes and it tends to run a bit dark, but I've never had a problem with the current fleet and those before them.
I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I'll let the Tiger guys offer an opinion.
Do you know what oil the dealer used?

Welcome to TT, BTW BBEER

Shaggy5991

Riding for 8 Years
Local time
First Name
Chris Nelson
My Ride
14 Bonnie and 13 Tiger
I’m not sure what they used I’m going to call them today and ask, I’ve already ordered some Motul oil to just change it to be safe. I just wanted to make sure it didn’t look like an issue. I’ve always run Motul 7100 in my Bonnie since new so I’m used to it being red :) I was just surprised the oil wasn’t translucent at all.

Shaggy5991

Riding for 8 Years
Local time
First Name
Chris Nelson
My Ride
14 Bonnie and 13 Tiger
I use Motul in all my modern bikes and it tends to run a bit dark, but I've never had a problem with the current fleet and those before them.
I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I'll let the Tiger guys offer an opinion.
Do you know what oil the dealer used?

Welcome to TT, BTW BBEER
Called they use Castrol, I think I’ll switch it over to Motul just because I use it on my other bikes, I was just worried about the almost milky look.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 29 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
I'm surprised about the milky look.
Castrol is great oil and I used it for many years before I changed over to Motul about 15+ years ago, but to ease your mind it's probably a good idea to change over to Motul and keep an eye on it.

Qship

Riding for 41 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
Checked mine a couple of days ago and has that almost same look. Used Amsoil on my last oil change before winter storage. Only had about 200 kms on the oil.
Must be the site glass causing it to have that look.

brooke

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
16 thruxton r. 2011 tiger 800
I am still using the Shell diesel oil and it acts in a similar fashion . After just one ride it’s lost it golden colour and gone to the dark side of brown . A couple of rides later and it’s almost as dark as it will be at oil change time . Think it might be a synthetic oil thing , my old Honda called for Castrol GTX , a car oil , and it would brown gradually over time but with just a few k kms it could still be quite golden . I checked the Brides Rav 4 last week , almost time for an oil change , and it’s was still golden . Supposedly , they are putting a full synthetic in it . I change the lawn tractor whenever it’s not golden enough any more and that seems to be at least every 5 years . Using the diesel stuff in it too . But to your point my Tiger seems to dirty the oil quickly and looks a bit foamy as well

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 29 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
I am still using the Shell diesel oil and it acts in a similar fashion . After just one ride it’s lost it golden colour and gone to the dark side of brown . A couple of rides later and it’s almost as dark as it will be at oil change time . Think it might be a synthetic oil thing , my old Honda called for Castrol GTX , a car oil , and it would brown gradually over time but with just a few k kms it could still be quite golden . I checked the Brides Rav 4 last week , almost time for an oil change , and it’s was still golden . Supposedly , they are putting a full synthetic in it . I change the lawn tractor whenever it’s not golden enough any more and that seems to be at least every 5 years . Using the diesel stuff in it too . But to your point my Tiger seems to dirty the oil quickly and looks a bit foamy as well
Good reply brooke TUP
I don't think he has anything to worry about.

brooke

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
Good reply brooke TUP
I don't think he has anything to worry about.
Thanks Rocky , nice to know someone’s got my back . I very seldom have any earth shattering news , so my tid bits must be stretched and embellished to be considered a chapter .

Shaggy5991

Riding for 8 Years
Local time
First Name
Chris Nelson
My Ride
14 Bonnie and 13 Tiger
Thanks Rocky , nice to know someone’s got my back . I very seldom have any earth shattering news , so my tid bits must be stretched and embellished to be considered a chapter .
Thank you!! That was my concern I just didn’t feel like my other bikes changed the oil color so quickly!

Shaggy5991

Riding for 8 Years
Local time
First Name
Chris Nelson
My Ride
14 Bonnie and 13 Tiger
Last update, changed the oil just to bad safe and look at the oil closely (put some in a clean cup) the oil looked great no water or junk in it was clean and normal outside of the engine. Changed over to Motul 7100 (other 3 bike run it so keeping consistent) and took 100 miles looks clean and clear, just oil as normal :)

Attachments

• B1429574-8767-4594-858B-20EA5CFC7EF6.jpeg
    B1429574-8767-4594-858B-20EA5CFC7EF6.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 4

brooke

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
Last update, changed the oil just to bad safe and look at the oil closely (put some in a clean cup) the oil looked great no water or junk in it was clean and normal outside of the engine. Changed over to Motul 7100 (other 3 bike run it so keeping consistent) and took 100 miles looks clean and clear, just oil as normal :)
Exactly what I would have done when I was younger and had ambition .

hemibee

Texas Tiger
Riding for 52 Years
Local time
Today, 08:45
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
On my '13 I have trouble seeing the oil. I run She'll Rotella and it seems to remain clear in the sight glass. I've never seen anything as you described.

brooke

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
On my '13 I have trouble seeing the oil. I run She'll Rotella and it seems to remain clear in the sight glass. I've never seen anything as you described.
Your just trying to be a trouble maker ....

hemibee

Texas Tiger
Riding for 52 Years
Local time
Today, 08:45
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
Your just trying to be a trouble maker ....
The only complaint I have about my 800 has been the oil sight glass. Well the second complaint would be not being able to ride it enough.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 29 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
The only complaint I have about my 800 has been the oil sight glass. Well the second complaint would be not being able to ride it enough.
I agree, oil sight glasses are a bit of a pain. I have three bikes with them. Oh well, whatcha gonna do BGRIN

brooke

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
I’m getting to like the glass oil inspection site . Having a flashlight with you helps if your in the garage .

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom