no were land between 4th and 5th

hendo01

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:58
First Name
paul
My Ride
1978 triumph bonneville
hi all just a quick one when rideing my bonnie the other day going from 4th to 5th it was hard to get into 5 gear like it split 4th and 5th has done it twice now any idear wat it could be

Probably wont know until you tear into her.. nothing external that could be the problem.. Bummer..

Gear box oil?
Cannot find it in owners manual for 2012
Thought it was splashed by engine oil

Oh CRAP...I was thinking this was in the Classic Bonneville section!! I just looked at the thread placement now. My mistake!

I click on "New Posts" and only saw the topic title. That, and I looked at Hendo's "bike" information and saw 1978 Bonneville

Last edited:
When did you last change your oil? Are you using synthetic motorcycle specific oil?

Gear box oil?
Cannot find it in owners manual for 2012
Thought it was splashed by engine oil

T6 Pilot, The topic does in fact relate to a '78 .

Oh CRAP...I was thinking this was in the Classic Bonneville section!! I just looked at the thread placement now. My mistake!

I click on "New Posts" and only saw the topic title. That, and I looked at Hendo's "bike" information and saw 1978 Bonneville

I believe you were correct AJ
Right bike,wrong section.

i think you'l find the the syncro's worn ,if it is that then you'll find its hard to change at a higher rev than it is at a lower rev .

I got confused about what the bike was. No, if it is a classic Bonnie, you do not want to use a synthetic.

Ok I am confused where is this thread supposed to be then, please move it to the correct area and maybe rename it to reflect model number BBEER

Sorry for the confusion,
Modern classics does that refer to 2006 and up bikes?
I was just going over the owners manual for the 2012 and couldn't find anything on gear oil.
So far have about 400 miles on my Bonneville lots of fun, I see some suspension upgrades in it's future though
Bike is an attention getter that's for sure
Keep riding

Modern classics refers to all the Bonneville models since they were introduced from Hinckley.
There is no gearbox oil. It's all shared from the crankcase.
If you're having shifting problems at 400 miles that's a warranty claim.
Have the dealer take it out for a test run.
There really shouldn't be any shifting problems, but as the bike wears in the shifting may improve.
From day one I was impressed at how snappy and positive my '06 Bonneville shifted.

Modern classics refers to all the Bonneville models since they were introduced from Hinckley.
There is no gearbox oil. It's all shared from the crankcase.
If you're having shifting problems at 400 miles that's a warranty claim.
Have the dealer take it out for a test run.
There really shouldn't be any shifting problems, but as the bike wears in the shifting may improve.
From day one I was impressed at how snappy and positive my '06 Bonneville shifted.

More confusion here than in Confucius land.
Rocky,T6pilot has no shifting issues with his 400 mile 2012 bonny, he was asking what a modern classic was.
The original poster,hendo01 has the shifting problem with his 78 bonnie.

Harry, I am glad you saw thought the maze. I was confused. :y2:

Thanks for sorting that :y2:

sorry for muck up always put things in wrong spots it was gear box oil was low thanks all

sorry for muck up always put things in wrong spots it was gear box oil was low thanks all

If that's truly the case, you're a lucky dawg !! :y2:

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom