Riding for 47 Years
Local time
Today, 18:26
First Name
John
My Ride
Triumph speed triple
First of all thanks for letting me join the forum
My 97 speed triple is having starting problems. I replaced the fuel pump recently and thought I had sorted it but it failed to start again today after a six mile run in damp conditions. The engine turns over but it won't run.
Does anyone have experience of this please

suzook12

Riding for 42 Years
Local time
My Ride
TR6
Hi Jonny,
There could be a few factors.
The first port of call would be battery voltage while cranking, less than 10V she aint gonna fire.
Check you have spark while cranking
Have you checked/replaced the plugs and coil caps recently? She's getting on a bit, could be insulation breaking down.

Are these similar circumstances to previous non starts? Did you replace the fuel filter when you changed the pump? Common problem on bikes with in tank filters

Has air filter been replaced recently?

Johnny banjo

Riding for 47 Years
Local time
First Name
John
My Ride
Triumph speed triple
Hi Jonny,
There could be a few factors.
The first port of call would be battery voltage while cranking, less than 10V she aint gonna fire.
Check you have spark while cranking
Have you checked/replaced the plugs and coil caps recently? She's getting on a bit, could be insulation breaking down.

Are these similar circumstances to previous non starts? Did you replace the fuel filter when you changed the pump? Common problem on bikes with in tank filters

Has air filter been replaced recently?
Thanks for those suggestions, I'll check them out

Dashfixer

Riding for 48 Years
Local time
First Name
Richard
My Ride
Triumph T140E
First of all thanks for letting me join the forum
My 97 speed triple is having starting problems. I replaced the fuel pump recently and thought I had sorted it but it failed to start again today after a six mile run in damp conditions. The engine turns over but it won't run.
Does anyone have experience of this please
I've had this same problem with an older BMW. Does your bike have an external coil or stick coils? I had a tiny crack in the coil outer insulation and in the damp it wouldn't start unless I gave it a good covering of WD40.

Johnny banjo

Riding for 47 Years
Local time
First Name
John
My Ride
Triumph speed triple
I've had this same problem with an older BMW. Does your bike have an external coil or stick coils? I had a tiny crack in the coil outer insulation and in the damp it wouldn't start unless I gave it a good covering of WD40.
Thanks

Johnny banjo

Riding for 47 Years
Local time
First Name
John
My Ride
Triumph speed triple
Thanks to everyone who offered advice on this problem. After much investigation,testing parts swapping and downright mystification it turned out to be a faulty fuel connection on the tank. When the dry break fitting on the flow side was pushed in and 'clicked' the male side of the fitting wasn't far enough in to release the non return valve in the female side. We are talking about 0.5 mm slack here and when a trusty thumb was applied to push the male side marginally further in, the fuel would flow for a time and then stop which explains my intermittent starting problem!
Both connections are being replaced this week so I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom