Notorious Tiger 900 "I" Bikes

Dr Joe

Local time
Today, 03:57
First Name
Joe
My Ride
Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC
Does anyone in the USA have a Tiger with an "I" in the VIN? In the USA this is not allowed and I have had a hell of a time getting a title and insurance. Also, the MyTrumph App does not recognize the bike. Triumph is well aware of the issue. Let me know if you have an "I" bike, as I think we should ask Triumph for some consideration as a group.

What does the "I" indicated?

The "I" is in the VIN. I'm USA the letters "I" and "O" are not allowed in a VIN. Obviously because they are too easy to confuse with the numbers 1 and 0.

That’s crazy . Obviously you have checked the ser # as it is stamped on the frame ? My 2011 has a 1 and a 0 .

Last edited:
Yes, of course. The numbers are ok. Just not the letters "I" and "O".

Which position in the VIN is the "i"? Is it possible that it is actually a "1" and someone transposed it incorrectly? The I & O thing is not just the USA, it's universal. See VIN Lookup - How to Decode your VIN | Edmunds
No transposition. It is a new 2022 Tiger 900. It is already an identified problem by Triumph, and they have sent a notice to the dealers, and registered the problem with the government.

Do you think the bike will eventually be worth more $ to collectors as a weird error bike? I understand that only a total of about 450 bikes (all 2022's) were accidentally given the bad VIN numbers, worldwide. Maybe I should put in in a glass case and just buy another one to ride.

No transposition. It is a new 2022 Tiger 900. It is already an identified problem by Triumph, and they have sent a notice to the dealers, and registered the problem with the government.

Do you think the bike will eventually be worth more $ to collectors as a weird error bike? I understand that only a total of about 450 bikes (all 2022's) were accidentally given the bad VIN numbers, worldwide. Maybe I should put in in a glass case and just buy another one to ride.
That's why I asked about just where in the VIN the number appeared. There's a good chance it's pointing to a factory or a country that doesn't exist .....

Step 1​

Locate the VIN number. The VIN number is stamped on a small VIN plate underneath the seat and on the registration documentation. For example, SMTTF600MGX100001.

Step 2​

Write down the first three digits. These digits correspond to the manufacturer. For example, SMT means Triumph.

Step 3​

Write down the next two digits. These digits indicate the model type. For example, TF denotes a TF which is short for Sprint ST TF.

Step 4​

Make a note of the next three digits. These indicate the model number. A 600 would indicate a 600 cc motor, which to follow the previous examples means a Sprint ST TF 600.

Step 5​

Write the following digit, which is the motor number. This digit represents the engine configuration, which is the number of cylinders multiplied by the bore and divided by the stroke. An "M" indicates a 3*79/65 motor configuration.

Step 6​

Proceed to with the next digit, which denotes the final drive ratio. A "G" in this case. This is equal to a drive ratio of 18/43.

Step 7​

Write the following digit to identify the year of manufacture. "X" is 1999, according to Triumph's VIN codes.
Write the final digits to determine the chassis number. This example uses a chassis number of 100001.

That's why I asked about just where in the VIN the number appeared. There's a good chance it's pointing to a factory or a country that doesn't exist .....

Step 1​

Locate the VIN number. The VIN number is stamped on a small VIN plate underneath the seat and on the registration documentation. For example, SMTTF600MGX100001.

Step 2​

Write down the first three digits. These digits correspond to the manufacturer. For example, SMT means Triumph.

Step 3​

Write down the next two digits. These digits indicate the model type. For example, TF denotes a TF which is short for Sprint ST TF.

Step 4​

Make a note of the next three digits. These indicate the model number. A 600 would indicate a 600 cc motor, which to follow the previous examples means a Sprint ST TF 600.

Step 5​

Write the following digit, which is the motor number. This digit represents the engine configuration, which is the number of cylinders multiplied by the bore and divided by the stroke. An "M" indicates a 3*79/65 motor configuration.

Step 6​

Proceed to with the next digit, which denotes the final drive ratio. A "G" in this case. This is equal to a drive ratio of 18/43.

Step 7​

Write the following digit to identify the year of manufacture. "X" is 1999, according to Triumph's VIN codes.
Write the final digits to determine the chassis number. This example uses a chassis number of 100001.
Its the 6th digit from the end, a part of the chassis number.

Sounds down right crazy for this to cause you such a headache, Triumph should lead on this ...

Yes. I'm a bit miffed that Triumph has not yet fixed their app so I can use the navigation, or reached out to us at all. I do plan to contact them to complain about this.

Yes. I'm a bit miffed that Triumph has not yet fixed their app so I can use the navigation, or reached out to us at all. I do plan to contact them to complain about this.
My 2023 850 has two B’s in the ser # which the insurance company thinks should be eights . Had to send them a photo of the steering head which convinced them , it was no issue at all at the motor vehicle registration office .

My 2023 850 has two B’s in the ser # which the insurance company thinks should be eights . Had to send them a photo of the steering head which convinced them , it was no issue at all at the motor vehicle registration office .
Interesting... I should say that I ultimately reached out to Triumph and I spoke to an actual person who was very nice and accommodating. They also fixed the app to recognize may bike and it works, even the Nav, just fine. I am not a fan of the turn by turn Nav. With such a luxurious size screen, just put the map up there like other brands.

Once will flipping through the display on the 850 a Nav icon jumped up on the screen . When I got home I tried to find it again to no avail . Checked the manual , definitely not supposed to have anything Nav related in there ?

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom