Oil Cap Removal

BillyR3

Local time
Today, 15:32
My Ride
2006 Rocket III
I recently purchased a used Triumph Rocket III.
How do you remove the oil cap? I don't want to break it. It does not seem to be a screw-top but I don't want to break it by prying it off.

Here is the manual for you to download and read, because it seems you didn't get a manual when you bought the bike from the previous owner: https://images.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/media-library/files/central marketing team/owners-manuals/rocket-iii-roadster/rocket iii roadster en_us.pdf?la=en-us
Thank you for the link to the manual. That could come in useful in the future; however, I don't think it answers my question.

The manual refers to 'Tightening' the cap which implies it's a screw top, but my research at other websites after posting this question indicates it's actually a plug that you pull off.

I expected this to be a super easy question that someone could answer off the top of their head.

I'll ask my neighbor, who has a Rocket 3.

I'll ask my neighbor, who has a Rocket 3.
Thanks Greyfell. That would be great. I should have thought to check the oil when I bought the bike and then I would have found out from the previous owner.

My neighbor said it is a plug/stopper, just pull straight off. He also said, when it comes to doing your own oil change, it may depend on the “generation” of your Rocket, which you can tell by whether you have a silver engine or black engine. Rockets have a dry-sump system, so you’d need to drain the oil tank and the sump; the difference in the two generations is if you one drain plug or two for the sump.

My neighbor also mentioned he has the Triumph Shop Manual for the Rocket, in PDF format, that he could make available (300+ pages).

Well, that's a new one on me. I was quite confident that it was a screw-in - and almost said so FACE
I also didn't know about the R3 dry-sump.
It's always a good day when you learn something new TUP

My neighbor said it is a plug/stopper, just pull straight off. He also said, when it comes to doing your own oil change, it may depend on the “generation” of your Rocket, which you can tell by whether you have a silver engine or black engine. Rockets have a dry-sump system, so you’d need to drain the oil tank and the sump; the difference in the two generations is if you one drain plug or two for the sump.

My neighbor also mentioned he has the Triumph Shop Manual for the Rocket, in PDF format, that he could make available (300+ pages).
Thanks Greyfell! I have obtained the shop manual. Thanks for the tip on the Black vs silver engine and drain plugs. Greatly appreciated.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom