Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 19:12
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I believe the Bonneville family uses the same oil filter. I am not sure if other Triumphs use the same filter or not.

This chart does not recommend motorcycle oil filters; the author strongly recommends automobile filters. If you have a Bonneville, I'll save you some grief; automotive filters will not work. The only auto oil filter I tried was the NAPA Gold 1365. While it was the right threads and right size, it would not seal. It has a convex top and it would not draw tight enough to seal the gasket. The filter housing on the Bonnie is too shallow to allow the automotive filters to seal. The motorcycle oil filters are flat across the top. I have not tried any other auto filter. But I plan to take a motorcycle filter and compare it to the auto filters in this table.

I have used the Amsoil SMF103, the Fram PH6017A, and the NAPA Gold 1358. These work just fine.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

Last edited:

Sunshine Jim

Local time
Today, 00:12
eya CarlS

thanks for posting that chart and link.

question: what's a good aftermarket filter housing for the classics?

dazco

Local time
Yesterday, 16:12
Wait Carl....I'm not sure what you're saying. It sounds like you are saying automotive filters won't seal but then you named 3 that you said work fine. In any case, i've used the Bosch 3300 from day one and my bike has never leaked a drop. Cheap too. And happily that chart says it has superior filtering which i didn't know. They also have a longer one that i imagine is even better being bigger, (the 3323 if i recqall correctly) tho i don't use that one since i found out the hard way it doesn't clear the top of my lift ! :eek:h:

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Dazco, the three filters that I listed are motorcycle filters that I bought at NAPA, Wal Mart, and Advance Auto Parts. I have tried two automotive filters and and compared the motorcycle filter to five or six more. I have not found any automotive filter that will work on the Bonnie. I will check out the Bosch.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Jim, I do not know the answer to that. I have never replaced an oil filter housing on the classics.

dazco

Local time
Ok, I see. The bonnie and cruiser engines should be the same in this regard so they should work for you. I have changed the oil on mine probably a good 6-7 times and used the Bosch each time w/o any issues. At $6 i have now saved about 440-50 on filters i believe, not to mention the ease of being able to get them at the neighborhood auto parts store.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I change oil every three to four thousand; so I am very glad to have an alternative to the Triumph filter.

Apkah

Local time
First Name
Paul
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800
eya CarlS

thanks for posting that chart and link.

question: what's a good aftermarket filter housing for the classics?

the original thread is old enough that a response may be silly...but that is kinda who I am and I know a good write up for this. OIF Bonnie's don't have a conventional oil filter outside of the metal mesh found in the bottom of the sump. Detergent oils make the sump less meaningful because the oil is intended to keep debris in suspension rather than letting it settle into the sludge to prevent early wear. The link below takes you to the Georgia British Motor Bike Association tech write up for the solution.

http://www.gabma.us/docs/oil_filter.pdf

The resource page is loaded with great info on vintage Brit bikes and can be found at the link below

http://www.gabma.us/page2.htm

It has about nothing for newer Bikes.

hope someone finds these useful

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 47 Years
Administrator
Local time
Today, 01:12
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Well it is always great when even on an old thread you can get alternative solutions so a post like this is never wasted at all TUP

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Thank you for the link. That is a good site and those folks are good people. I have met a lot of them at Brits in the Blue Ridge.

rodhotter

Local time
First Name
bernard czech
My Ride
2012 triumph bonneville
another bosch 3300 user on a 2012 bonnie works fine

tiger-justin

Local time
First Name
Justin
My Ride
1978 tiger 750
Hey all, I'm not looking to get into the debate of should you install an external oil filter or not. I've made up my mind in that regard, but for those who do use them is there a better one? I read GumpT's thread, but I also so a different external filter from MAP (here: http://www.mapcycle.com/map/index.php/oilfilter-kit-oil-in-frame-tri-bsa.html) can anyone tell me which one is the better choice?
Thanks for your input.

Justin

Bonnie79D

Local time
Today, 07:12
First Name
Ian
My Ride
1979 Triumph 140D
Hi Apkah,
Thanks for the post.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom