Premium Member
Staff
Local time
Today, 17:47
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
Riding Since
2019 licensed about a decade earlier.
I just bought a five gallon Justrite safety gas can. I have an old 2.5 gallon one I bought around 40 plus years ago. It has some very mild surface rust in the inside. Not throughout but in some patch areas. It probably has not been used in years. I put some WD 40 inside. I’d like to take it back into service, thoughts on what I should do?CC9D2AE4-E980-4E25-96DD-2C71C20ED3D4.jpeg

WD-40 and a few BB’s...3E5A8344-6067-4367-B0DA-DE0834D534BC.jpeg

Those and some nuts and bolts, and a lot of shaking might do the trick, but speaking only for myself, I would toss the can and get a new one.

Those and some nuts and bolts, and a lot of shaking might do the trick, but speaking only for myself, I would toss the can and get a new one.
I just got a new one. Trying to rejuvenate the old one. It has very mild rust, so I thought I’d try to clean it up for an additional spare.

Good luck TUP

There's a thread on here somewhere about cleaning rusted tanks. Would apply to your old gas can as well. Check the classics section. Would want to recoat the inside as well to prevent further rusting.

Go for it ..never give up !

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom