Old Guy Considering A Trident 660

mcat

Local time
Today, 05:09
First Name
mike
My Ride
2013 R3T
Hi all. I'm not on here much but mostly when I run into a problem with my '73 Tiger. Mostly it's pretty damn reliable.

I have 5 bikes, most of them old, but those I commute on are a '08 Gold Wing and a '13 Rocket Touring.
I'd like to maybe trade in or sell the Rocket and get a Trident. But the riding position scares me when I watch the vids.

I had one knee replaced and it works well but the other gets stiff. I'm 64, a cancer survivor and current cancer fighter (PC) and I'm ready for fun in a smaller package. I do ride my '73 Tiger 750 quite a bit, and an '80 LTD 1000, which are both standards. I suppose the Trident more approaches a standard set up than embraces it.

I think there's no moving the pegs around on the 660.
Best,
MCat

tobyb

Riding for 48 Years
Local time
Today, 20:09
First Name
Toby
My Ride
020 Street Twin
Hi all. I'm not on here much but mostly when I run into a problem with my '73 Tiger. Mostly it's pretty damn reliable.

I have 5 bikes, most of them old, but those I commute on are a '08 Gold Wing and a '13 Rocket Touring.
I'd like to maybe trade in or sell the Rocket and get a Trident. But the riding position scares me when I watch the vids.

I had one knee replaced and it works well but the other gets stiff. I'm 64, a cancer survivor and current cancer fighter (PC) and I'm ready for fun in a smaller package. I do ride my '73 Tiger 750 quite a bit, and an '80 LTD 1000, which are both standards. I suppose the Trident more approaches a standard set up than embraces it.

I think there's no moving the pegs around on the 660.
Best,
MCat
Have you had a look at the Street Twin?

mcat

Local time
Today, 05:09
First Name
mike
My Ride
2013 R3T
Have you had a look at the Street Twin?
I've looked at a Speed Twin but I think a Street Twin wd be worth a look. I had a '03 Speedmaster for years and loved that bike. I miss the lightness of that bike. Good suggestion.
mcat

B25bsaboy

Riding for 53 Years
Local time
Today, 04:09
First Name
Richard (Rick)
My Ride
1970 Triumph TR25W, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900
I've looked at a Speed Twin but I think a Street Twin wd be worth a look. I had a '03 Speedmaster for years and loved that bike. I miss the lightness of that bike. Good suggestion.
mcat
Hi Toby, The 73 Triumph Tiger is an amazing motorcycle especially if you know the history of Meridan OIF. At the time they were introduced, the OIF BSA/Triumph’s were hated because of it’s added height in comparison with the T120’s. Today, they are very much sought after by collectors. I have restored several 76, 77 and 79 T-140‘s. One in particular was the 1977 T140V J Silver Jubilee that is now on display at the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, Iowa. Once all my OIF went to good homes across the planet, I then went to the Hinkley Triumph Thunder Bird 900. Not exactly a direct cross over as to what you are looking for. My suggestion is the seriously look at the Triumph Bonneville as these machines have the retro look and the engines are very much bullet proof. I hope you realize this is an old guy talking who loves sharing his worldly motorcycle knowledge. Good luck in your search!

Gogreen

Riding for 48 Years
Local time
Today, 11:09
First Name
Phil
My Ride
Thunderbird Sport; T140D
I agree with mcat, look at the twin series, early Bonneville's are cheap now and reliable. easier to live with than Meriden twins and with electric foot. A bit more Triumph than the Thai Trident. There are better value bikes from Asia as well

rodhotter

Local time
Today, 06:09
First Name
bernard czech
My Ride
2012 triumph bonneville
you are right on! i traded my 2012 mag wheeler i only rode 5 thou in about 8 years. even though i consider myself above average health + fit wise the tight fit + slightly rearsets did NOT agree with me!! OK for short 30-45 min but after that not!! i traded for a preowned T120 + was considering the T100 as well until this good deal. more upright is surely better + cruisers with feet forward are even better IMO, so be sure before you plop your $$$$ down. lighter is surely better but most sportier bikes are best left to younger riders + only YOU know how you feel!!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom