Plug Change

toshvmax

Local time
Today, 19:50
First Name
Richard
My Ride
Bonneville scrambler & Rocket 111
Did a spark plug change yesterday, didn't need to remove fuel tank or air duct to access the plugs, it wasn't as bad a job as I thought it would be. put some fresh iridium plugs as alternative to standard plugs. although the bike has a full main stealer service it was evident they were the original plugs and never been changed along with other service parts and rear diff oil.... gotta love main dealers.... robbing wankers!!
oil change scheduled later today
1f609.png
;)

By all accounts the iridium plugs have a life span of 50000 miles, so why do Suzuki recommend to change them every 7500 on my V Strom. Nothing to do with getting £££ out of you of course.

From NGK themselves
A traditional IX iridium plug such as NGK ZFR6FIX-11 has an iridium Center Electrode, however the ground electrode is a traditional nickel construction. Therefore, the ground electrode will wear out first. NGK gives them a life expectancy of 40-50k miles.

Irridiums are great. I used them when i had a speedmaster and they don't even show any wear after like 20000 miles. Had i owned the bike a lot longer i have no doubt they would still be in there. Regular plugs show wear in a few 1000 miles. You can see the sharp edges on the electrode becoming round and the gap widening. But with some bikes the advantages go beyond that. There was a improvement in midrange power that was very evident on that bike. Several others who tried them in the speedys said the same. I have them in my Tbird but they don't make them in the proper range so i had to go one colder. Runs fine tho, zero fouling or any of that. I think maybe because the colder range there was no obvious power improvement. Either that or maybe in this bike it doesn't benefit due to it having 2 plugs per cylinder. I;d never use anything else tho as long as i can because they are definitely great plugs and not the snake oil others i have tried were. Side gapping regular plugs give a similar benefit but they wear out much too fast when side gapped. You have to replace em constantly.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom