Polished Valve Cover

Allen B.

Local time
Today, 00:35
First Name
Allen
My Ride
2011 Bonneville T100 Forest Green/ New England White
Last year I tried to find a chrome valve cover to replace my black powder coat cover, unfortunately the chrome cover triumph used to sell is discontinued. I couldn't find a used one so I bought a used powder coat one and stripped and polished it.

I planned on installing it sometime over winter, and finally got it on last night. Pretty happy with the results. I'm surprised at how much effect it has on the overall look of the bike, seems to give it a more vintage appearance.

Attachments

• 20230418_102517.jpg
    20230418_102517.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 41
Excellent job TUP TUP
I bought the chrome cover for my T100 when they were still available.
It's exactly what the engine needs to match the chrome covers.

Great job!

LOOKS GREAT! That IMHO is one of the best paint combos, what year is she, wanna sell her? LOL

LOOKS GREAT! That IMHO is one of the best paint combos, what year is she, wanna sell her? LOL
Thanks, it's a 2011. I think I'll keep it.

Last year I tried to find a chrome valve cover to replace my black powder coat cover, unfortunately the chrome cover triumph used to sell is discontinued. I couldn't find a used one so I bought a used powder coat one and stripped and polished it.

I planned on installing it sometime over winter, and finally got it on last night. Pretty happy with the results. I'm surprised at how much effect it has on the overall look of the bike, seems to give it a more vintage appearance.
Bonny Crop.jpg

Interesting to see the polished and the chrome on the same bike . I Think the chrome looks unreal , but the polished looks real , both good .

Interesting to see the polished and the chrome on the same bike . I Think the chrome looks unreal , but the polished looks real , both good .
Totally agree. The “chrome” is just too shiney.

Back in the day before lacquer coating were used we polished a lot of stuff . A year old Kawasaki triple could look terrible or better than a new one if you gave it a little rub every couple of weeks . An aluminum tunnel on a snowmobile could be polished to a mirror finish but that didn’t happen often . Just on pampered racers .

Did it take much polishing.

I have a 2020 Watercooled T100....the rocker cover is painted.....bit of a bugger to get it off.....only had it off once.

I did polish the Brushed ali side covers....did not like the brushed lacquered finish.....came up great.

Did think....one day love to polish the painted rocker cover.

But....will the paint come off with out a huge fight.

Nick in the UK.

Did it take much polishing.

I have a 2020 Watercooled T100....the rocker cover is painted.....bit of a bugger to get it off.....only had it off once.

I did polish the Brushed ali side covers....did not like the brushed lacquered finish.....came up great.

Did think....one day love to polish the painted rocker cover.

But....will the paint come off with out a huge fight.

Nick in the UK.
It was pretty difficult to get the old powder coat off, the aluminum seemed a bit rough under the coating as well, which makes sense to leave it rough if you're going to coat it. Took a lot of sanding to get it smooth enough for polish. The polishing wasn't too bad with a buffing wheel on a bench grinder,, removing the powder coat was hardest, especially in the deep areas over the plug access. It was a lot of work but totally worth it for me. In the end I like the look of polished aluminum more than chrome and have contemplated replacing the chrome engine covers with polished as well, but I have to many irons in the fire already.

Last edited:
It was pretty difficult to get the old powder coat off, the aluminum seemed a bit rough under the coating as well, which makes sense to leave it rough if you're going to coat it. Took a lot of sanding to get it smooth enough for polish. The polishing wasn't too bad with a buffing wheel on a bench grinder,, removing the powder coat was hardest, especially in the deep areas over the plug access. It was a lot of work but totally worth it for me. In the end I like the look of polished aluminum more than chrome and have contemplated replacing the chrome engine covers with polished as well, but I have to many irons in the fire already.
Thankyou Allen.....great job.

Polishing my valve covers on my Thruxton is still a project I’m planning on later. Have not had a reason to take them off yet. Mine are just clear coat over brushed aluminum like the rest of my covers.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom