Power loss . Legend 900 here ,my 1999Legend 900 starting losing electrical power recently running good then all of sudden stalled ,restarted

Legend man 900

Local time
Today, 07:03
First Name
Vince
My Ride
1999 Triump 900 Legend / Also 2001 Victory V92 / want A 1700 T Bird next
Bike ran fine then stalled restarted ran for another 10 miles then stalled agian did that several times no no power at all ,when I turn on Keyed ignition ,known good battery check all grounds and fuess all hood ,tried tracking it down , when I unplugged wires going to stater and run jumper across get power to lights in Light pod and dash , Is there a relay or safety switch ,some where that might not allow power up to dash or control lights ,have a triumph service manual but it has no wiring diagram ,Any ideas ?

I would say its ether the ignition switch or there could be a break in the harness were it comes round the headstock ?

I would say its ether the ignition switch or there could be a break in the harness were it comes round the headstock ?
IThanks I, was hoping it would be something simple , there is nothing easy when it comes to electrical , that switch is very expensive ,I,ll have to do some more diagnostic , before I drop the bucks on the keyed switch , I have a triumph service manual but doesn't,t have A wiring diagram ,

Just give the harness a visual check around the head stock to look for damage or any pinch points , the ignition switch may have become dry over time you can dismatle it with a bit of care clean and the use a little grease to lube it .... but be carfull there are a lot of little springs in there and you need to make sure you dont turn anything so it goes back together in the same place .

Just give the harness a visual check around the head stock to look for damage or any pinch points , the ignition switch may have become dry over time you can dismatle it with a bit of care clean and the use a little grease to lube it .... but be carfull there are a lot of little springs in there and you need to make sure you dont turn anything so it goes back together in the same place .
Thanks , I,ll be back in the shop tommorow I,l check both of those area,s ,! I,m asummin the power goes to the switch from the battery ,Unless it goes to some type of relay ,do you know who makes a good wiring diagram or electrical manual ,thanks

If you have a search on Google i think you should find a wiring diagram or somthing to help you .

Bike ran fine then stalled restarted ran for another 10 miles then stalled agian did that several times no no power at all ,when I turn on Keyed ignition ,known good battery check all grounds and fuess all hood ,tried tracking it down , when I unplugged wires going to stater and run jumper across get power to lights in Light pod and dash , Is there a relay or safety switch ,some where that might not allow power up to dash or control lights ,have a triumph service manual but it has no wiring diagram ,Any ideas ?

Start Logic
Summary

The Igniter is an (inclusive) OR gate - either one OR both wires must be earthed for the engine to run. The starter relay will NOT activate unless the bike is in neutral OR the clutch is pulled in.

Problem Solving:

The starter relay activates (engine turns over) but no spark? This indicates a lack of earth at the Igniter

Grey/White wire - this can be caused by:
a) broken wire (open circuit). Test for earth at Igniter Grey/White wire.
b) alarm connector block fault (open circuit).
c) faulty sidestand switch.

The starter relay DOES NOT activate (engine will NOT turn over). This indicates a fault in the Neutral

supply to the Starter Relay (Green/Yellow wire) and can be caused by:
a) broken wire (open circuit). Test for earth at Starter Relay negative terminal.
b) faulty clutch switch (open circuit)
........but will activate when clutch pulled in - faulty neutral switch.

This of course assumes that the starter relay is fully functional!

The easiest way to test for all these conditions would be to attach an automotive 12volt light bulb to the igniter's Grey/White wire using that as the earth, and connect the other end to +12 volts. You can then use this bulb and the Neutral light as simple logic indicators - ie glowing lamp means earth is present and you can check them off against the logic table above.

Attachments

• wiring diag.pdf
    407.1 KB · Views: 4
  • switches.pdf
    306.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Start_Ignition_2.jpg
    Start_Ignition_2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 5
  • switches.pdf
    306.7 KB · Views: 6
Hi, I bought a 99 Adventurer with no key last year. I made a temporary Ignition Switch whilst I sent the old one off to get a key made, which worked OK.

If you suspect that your Ignition Switch is faulty, remove the headlamp and locate the white, 8-Way connector. If you have a 3-Pole, N/O Contact switch, then you could use that to temporarily replace the Ignition Switch, like I did (see picture).

Or cut 3 pieces of thick-ish wire and bare the ends about 1/4". Use them to short White-Brown, Blue-Red and Green/Yellow-Black/White (Green/Yellow in the manual, but mine was actually Green/White). The Yellow wire doesn't go anywhere on mine, but it could be an extra 12V for auxiliary stuff on yours.

Probably best to connect them in the order as they're written, so that there isn't a live end exposed. i.e. push the wire into the fed contact first before connecting the other end to the live, feed contact.

The wires should stay in the female contacts OK, especially if you fold the bare copper back over the insulation and ram the insulation into the contact, but it would be far safer if you had access to male, 1/4" Crimps.

Obviously, probably don't need to tell you this, but try not to leave try not to leave any stray, uninsulated conductors sticking out.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Ignition Connector Back.jpg
    Ignition Connector Back.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Ignition Connector Front.jpg
    Ignition Connector Front.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Temporary Ignition Switch.jpg
    Temporary Ignition Switch.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Ignition Switch Wiring.jpg
    Ignition Switch Wiring.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 5
Hey Legend Guy...we're you ever able to solve your electrical power loss problem. My 2000 Thunderbird is totally dark even though the battery is good and all six fuses are sound. I jumped the keyed switch as suggested, but still no lights, horn or ignition. Thanks, BSAA65

Hey Legend Guy...we're you ever able to solve your electrical power loss problem. My 2000 Thunderbird is totally dark even though the battery is good and all six fuses are sound. I jumped the keyed switch as suggested, but still no lights, horn or ignition. Thanks, BSAA65
Thanks for the reply ,well I traced it down to the ignition switch,I ordered it back in April ,just got it last week was back ordered 6 months ,luckily I have multi bikes ,to ride , I,m going to install it sometime next week ,if all goes well I should have it going next week

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom