B25bsaboy

Local time
Today, 11:03
First Name
Richard (Rick)
My Ride
1970 Triumph TR25W, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900
Good day,

It has been slow as I take each module and concentrate on that area. The engine was first to replace the evil Sprag Clutch, which we all know on the early models the whole engine has to be split! There are time I wish my fellow engineers would take the time to put wrench's instead of drawing and building it!

The back end is now done with the rims and hubs cleaned, new seals, fender cleaned and polished, new rear drive sprocket 47 TPI, new chain and the hydraulic hose line changed out to a stainless steel braided line. The rear signal lights stems have been replaced with stainless steel, as the factory original were pitted and starting to rust.

Attachments

• IMG_3668.JPEG
    IMG_3668.JPEG
    351.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3697.JPEG
    IMG_3697.JPEG
    193.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3698.JPEG
    IMG_3698.JPEG
    352.7 KB · Views: 16
Moving right along. Good for you TUP

Looking very good indeed. Cannot wait to see it all finished.

Good progress! TUP

Looks GREAT!! As a lifelong, licensed mechanic, (40+ years), let me say, categorically, that "engineers" are mechanics mortal enemies! These overpaid "geniuses' dream up this goofy stuff sitting on their rears in an office cubicle, while we mechanics are the ones who have to make it actually work. :)

Good day,

It has been slow as I take each module and concentrate on that area. The engine was first to replace the evil Sprag Clutch, which we all know on the early models the whole engine has to be split! There are time I wish my fellow engineers would take the time to put wrench's instead of drawing and building it!

The back end is now done with the rims and hubs cleaned, new seals, fender cleaned and polished, new rear drive sprocket 47 TPI, new chain and the hydraulic hose line changed out to a stainless steel braided line. The rear signal lights stems have been replaced with stainless steel, as the factory original were pitted and starting to rust.
The front end is now completely disassembled with new head steady bearings being installed and front for seals replaced. The front wheel bearing seals will be replaced and the bearings are sealed and the TBird doesn't have enough miles on her to warrant replacing. New Avon ST tire is waiting to be mounted after the rims are cleaned and polished. Getting close to being finished, but da**t spring still a wee ways out :y20:

The front end is now completely disassembled with new head steady bearings being installed and front for seals replaced. The front wheel bearing seals will be replaced and the bearings are sealed and the TBird doesn't have enough miles on her to warrant replacing. New Avon ST tire is waiting to be mounted after the rims are cleaned and polished. Getting close to being finished, but da**t spring still a wee ways out :y20:
Yes, it will be a few days before your Spring riding weather. But great progress. TUP

Good day,

Thought I would chip in for an update on the progress of getting the TBird bak on the road;

Got the head light ears back in place along with new stainless steel signal light stems. The original ones were badly corroded thus went to a scrap dealer got some 304 stainless rods and had a friend turn down new stems.

The hardest reassembly was the carburetor and air box. Upgraded the intake rubber that is used in the carburetor for the TBird Sport as the internal orface is not restricted as the original ones were.

Wanted to upload some photos, but was notified they were too large?

Good day,

Well its now early April and everything is back to normal and the 1995 TBird 900 is totally back together after a long winter.

There were several things that want to share with you folks:

1. The one goes to the length I did to mechanically restore the 25 year old Triumph TBird, the one thing I didn't do and this is a total sin. When I went to start the TBird it was hard starting and didn't want to idle. After some fiddling still was hard starting. Now what! I wondered out loud if I should have change the spark plugs, as this engine has been started and stopped so may time with previous owners trying to get it to run at all. Off came the fuel tank and changed out the plugs. Crap, they were wet, black and LONG OVER DUE for a change. Without refitting the tank and what little fuel was left in the Mikuni's, the engine fired right up and idled perfectly:Opps2: Oh the joys of being stupid!:y41:

2. Secondly, when I went to disconnect the fuel line from the petcock, I didn't pay any attention to the setting Off/On/Reserve and what position they are supposed to be. Had to quickly reconnect the line as no matter where I set it, fuel just flowed out. Once I drained the fuel out of the tank the hard way, was able to remove the tank and looked at the petcock. I discovered that who ever owned this TBird previously took the pet cock apart and put to all back to gather back wards and was missing a stop screw that stops at Reserve, On and Close. One of the stop screws body threads looked like it had seen better days but managed to rethread and found several stop insert screws that had to be fitted to work. Put some o-ring grace on the o-ring at the body of the tap barrel and reassembled. My question is in all the newer triumph's I've owned, why would any body take the pet cock apart and very obvious did have a bloody clue how to reassemble? Oh, such are the joys of restoring motorcycles.

tempImage4hzLDw.jpg

Thanks for the update. She looks great TUP

Glad it's mostly sorted. Sometimes one cannot see the forest for the trees.
Looking great too.

Looking gooooood!!

Good day,

Well I put some kiddy up go juice into the fuel tank and took the TBird for a sort ride. Wha a treat as to the smoothness and acceleration power:y44:I see that I have some more work to do as the left front valve cover gasket (its new) needs some attention.

Very satisfying I'm sure TUP

Well I put some kiddy up go juice into the fuel tank and took the TBird for a sort ride. Wha a treat as to the smoothness and acceleration power:y44:I see that I have some more work to do as the left front valve cover gasket (its new) needs some attention.
Took the TBird for a longer shake down ride and what a treat. I have had four (4) other TBirds in the life time and none were as solid as this one. I am looking for a used seat and pan and have listed it in the wanted section as my seat is way to low as I am such a long legged bugger!
Can some one help me out?

Is this TBird lower than the other four were?

The bike is looking very very tidy and a credit to your hard work BBEER

Is this TBird lower than the other four were?
That's a great question for which I can't answer! I am looking for some original photos of my first 2003 TBird and will compare.

Took the TBird for a longer shake down ride and what a treat. I have had four (4) other TBirds in the life time and none were as solid as this one. I am looking for a used seat and pan and have listed it in the wanted section as my seat is way to low as I am such a long legged bugger!
Can some one help me out?
Finally able to attach some photos!

Attachments

• CF23B564-43E0-45D3-86D2-56D4B948B986.jpeg
    CF23B564-43E0-45D3-86D2-56D4B948B986.jpeg
    482.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 07C12283-E2B8-412E-BA17-EB320713F738.jpeg
    07C12283-E2B8-412E-BA17-EB320713F738.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 12
  • BB4CC5D4-BEF9-4D2D-A200-D647793C2F15.jpeg
    BB4CC5D4-BEF9-4D2D-A200-D647793C2F15.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 10
  • CBAB08FE-092C-4438-8D82-6AD3A42063C0.jpeg
    CBAB08FE-092C-4438-8D82-6AD3A42063C0.jpeg
    400.4 KB · Views: 11
Looking great!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom