Putting on high handle bars

There is always something to be said about doing all the work yourself, sure feels good!

The paperwork that came with the device says it has to be windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10. My macs are new and they will not accept those old window programs. Plus, I need a laptop too. My Mac's are desk tops. I need a laptop to be there, when I plug the cable into the bike computer and the other cable is a firewire cable that goes into the laptop PC. Because, the devise is as small as a flip cell phone and has two cables. One plugs into the cable on the bike and the other cable is a firewire cable, that goes into the laptop. Then you go to their website and download all this 2018 Triumph Bobber info, codes and other stuff. Just for that bike and you do all of your ECU code readings and things on the laptop. That's why I have to but an older laptop PC with windows 10 on eBay. My sister is a PC person and said that I should buy either a good used Dell or an Acer laptop with windows 10. I was going to buy a used one with windows 7. Because, I'm only going to use the PC for diagnostics anyway. But my sister said that I should buy a laptop with windows 10 instead of 7. She also said windows 10 was really easy to use and that I should buy either a dell or an acer with windows 10. But that's why, I have to buy a laptop PC with windows 10.

The paperwork that came with the device says it has to be windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10. My macs are new and they will not accept those old window programs. Plus, I need a laptop too. My Mac's are desk tops. I need a laptop to be there, when I plug the cable into the bike computer and the other cable is a firewire cable that goes into the laptop PC. Because, the devise is as small as a flip cell phone and has two cables. One plugs into the cable on the bike and the other cable is a firewire cable, that goes into the laptop. Then you go to their website and download all this 2018 Triumph Bobber info, codes and other stuff. Just for that bike and you do all of your ECU code readings and things on the laptop. That's why I have to but an older laptop PC with windows 10 on eBay. My sister is a PC person and said that I should buy either a good used Dell or an Acer laptop with windows 10. I was going to buy a used one with windows 7. Because, I'm only going to use the PC for diagnostics anyway. But my sister said that I should buy a laptop with windows 10 instead of 7. She also said windows 10 was really easy to use and that I should buy either a dell or an acer with windows 10. But that's why, I have to buy a laptop PC with windows 10.
I screwed that up. Let try it again. The paperwork that came with the device says it has to be windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10. My mac is brand new and it will not accept those old window programs. Plus, I need a laptop too. My Mac is a desktop. I need a laptop to be there, when I plug the cable into the bike computer and the other cable is a firewire cable that goes into the laptop PC. Because, the device is as small as a flip cell phone and has two cables. One plugs into the cable on the bike and the other cable is a firewire cable, that goes into the laptop. Then you go to their website and download all this 2018 Triumph Bobber info, codes and other stuff. Just for that bike and you do all of your ECU code readings and things on the laptop. That's why I have to buy an older used laptop PC with windows 10 off eBay. My sister is a PC person and said that I should buy either a good used Dell or an Acer laptop with windows 10. I was going to buy a used one with windows 7. But, she said no. Buy a laptop with windows 10. Because, I'm only going to use the PC for diagnostics anyway. She said 10 is much better than 7 is. She said to stay away from 8 and 8.1. She also said windows 10 was really easy to use and that I should buy either a dell or an acer with windows 10. But that's why, I have to buy a laptop PC with windows 10, instead of using my Mac desktop. Now I got it right. Sorry about that. Right in the middle of correcting my spelling, my mother had to have her ostomy bag cleaned and I ran out of time, to edit my story, while cleaning it. This is what it's supposed to say.

Under those circumstances, yes, I have to agree with your sister, though I don't want to. Windows 10 is easier for most people, but it wasn't for me. When my employer move me to a Windows 10 laptop, it took me nearly all day to tweak it to make it easier for me.

Acer makes good computers for a good price.

I agree with the Acer recommendation.

Under those circumstances, yes, I have to agree with your sister, though I don't want to. Windows 10 is easier for most people, but it wasn't for me. When my employer move me to a Windows 10 laptop, it took me nearly all day to tweak it to make it easier for me.

Acer makes good computers for a good price.
That's why I've always owned a Mac. I can use a PC as well as a Mac. I just prefer Mac's myself, for my own personal use. The PC laptop is only going to be used for the Triumph Diagnostics with my Dealertool and that's all. The only time, that it will ever see the internet, is going to be when when I use that ECU and that's it. Buy the way, I'm going to have to buy a set of tires soon. I'm not going with the Avon Cobras again. I'm going to try out the Pirelli MT 66 Route 66 tires or the Continental Conti Tour Tire. I'm more of a cruiser rider, than a sport rider. So, I'm looking for longevity in the tire, at the same time. I really don't want to spend a fortune on tires either, like the Michelin Commander II. Which is a great tire, but cost a bit more money, than I have to give right now. So, It's come down to either, the Pirelli MT 66 Route 66 tires, or the Continental Conti Tour tires. Has anybody out there, tried any of these two tires out? If so, could I get your pros and cons about these two tires? Thanks folks.

I used to do system administration and PC support, until my employer centralized those functions and eventually off-shored them. All through that time, I was a Mac user (still am) simply because it works better with the way my brain works; and I still help friends with PC troubles. In fact, this summer I'm going to get certified as a computer technician, to open up doors for after retirement.

I bought that acer laptop with windows 10 Pro on it, along with all the goodies for 70.00 bucks and free shipping. Next is tires, since I only have a 1,000 miles left on my rear tires at 10,000 miles with the Avon Cobras. But I'm switching them out for the Michelin Commander III's Cruiser tires and not the Michelin Commander III Touring tires, which I understand, is a very good road tire. The reviews on the tire are very good, with people getting around 25,000 miles on the rear tire, on a fully loaded HD. Plus they handle very good also in the rain and in the hills in good weather. For the set, front and rear. I'll be paying 340.00 bucks. But with that kind of mileage, it's worth it for me. If those tires are getting that kind of mileage on a fully loaded down, HD dresser. My Bobber is much lighter, than an HD dresser is. Then, I should get some great mileage out of these tires. Plus, they are supposed to handle really good in the rain also. I've never owned a set of Michelin's, that I wasn't happy with. My other choices were the Continental Conti Tour tires and the Pirelli MT66 Route 66 Tires. But the mileage on the others, are around the same as the Avon Cobras. Plus, I've always been a big fan of Michelin tires anyway.

I forgot to tell all you kind folks, that I checked with the DealerTool people and they said that I cannot use bootcamp at all. It has to be a PC with windows 7, 8,8.1,or 10. So, I bought a used student Acer laptop, at a church auction, for 70.00 bucks with free shipping. So I'm getting there.

I used to do system administration and PC support, until my employer centralized those functions and eventually off-shored them. All through that time, I was a Mac user (still am) simply because it works better with the way my brain works; and I still help friends with PC troubles. In fact, this summer I'm going to get certified as a computer technician, to open up doors for after retirement.
Do you know where I might be able to pickup a windows 10 download? I bought that acer laptop but I can't download the drivers for my dealerstool. Because, I'm not the administrator. So I had to call Microsoft today and wasted a good portion of the day, on the phone with them and Microsoft ended up having me put the computer into some mode, that removed everything on the computer. Then, they told me that I need to install windows 10 on the computer in some kind of flash drive. Here's what they said that I need to do :

Dipanjali (Microsoft)
Saturday, July 25, 2020 1:05 AM GMT
Hello Richard,

Create bootable media-
Go to the link below: Download Windows 10
Download tool now
Accept the license
Select the option create media for another computer(USB/DVD, ISO)
USB
Select the drive

Windows 10 installation steps through USB :

1.Please plug in the flash drive and restart your computer, during restart process.
2.Please keep tapping F2/ Delete so that it enter into boot menu.
3.If flash drive is set as default then the installation will take place automatically.
4.If not then click on boot order and select the boot sequence, and change the priority to 1. Click on save and exit.
5.A black screen will appear on the screen stating 'Press any key to boot from USB'.
6.Please tap any key on the keyboard.
7.It will get you a window where you have to select language, time format and keyboard. Click on next.
8.Enter the product key.
9.Select the Windows edition.
10.Accept the license.
11.Please select the custom install option.

12. Select the partition and click on Next.

Thank you,

Dipanjali.

Now, I'm a Mac person and I always have been. I've never owned a PC in my life. So, I really need some help with this. So I'm asking for some help, on how I can do this. I don't know anybody with windows 10. I don't want to pay a bunch of money to some shop to do it. But I got to get it done, so that I can download those drivers for my dealerstool and I can't do that if I'm not the administrator. That's why I have download it and set it up. So, that way if I need to use it, I can. Help please. Because, I have absolutely no idea what he's talking about.
Thanks Folks

Snakesfield,

Is your sister close enough to you to help you?

Otherwise, the first part of their instructions should be done on a PC, either at a FEDEX-Kinkos store, a UPS store, or you local library. And I'd modify those instructions thus:

Create bootable media-
a) select Windows Edition [Windows 10]
b) select language [English]
c) select 32-bit or 64 bit [64-bit]
d) now you are ready to do next step

Download tool now [be aware of where it is being downloaded to, you may have to find the downloaded file]
Accept the license
USB
Select the drive

The rest of their instructions would be done on the new computer, and those instructions, those not highly detailed, are easy enough to follow you should be able to handle it, especially with people willing to answer questions.

I have no idea what you and the Microsoft people are talking about? I'm really that computer illiterate. Especially with PC's. I've alway owned Mac's. This is my first and will be my last PC, that I'll ever own. If somebody out there, could please explain it to me, in laymen's terms, on how to properly download Windows 10. Back on this acer laptop, I'd really appreciate it. My sisters Acer laptop, I found out last night from her. Has been updated to XP, by her husband. That doesn't help me very much at all. Everything on the computer, has been removed by Microsoft yesterday, on this Acer laptop by the Microsoft people. So now, it a blank slate and all I need to do, is to reinstall Windows 10. So that I can get my new codes from Microsoft and become the new administrator of the Acer laptop. Then I can download my Dealertool apps. Otherwise, I'm going to have to take it, into the shop and have it done, and that's going to cost me money, that I really don't have to spend. I don't need a licence. I just need the Windows 10 app. To re-download and that's all that I need to do. I don't need anything else. Because, to download, The Dealertool drivers and to make the Acer work properly? I need to be the administrator and have the codes. So that Microsoft will let me download my Dealerttool apps. I bought the Acer laptop on eBay, from a church action. It was a student learning computer from a school. . What I need to do, is to just re-download Window's 10 and that's all. The Windows people had me run the computer in a mode that deleted everything on it, including the old Windows 10. Because, I was not the administrator and I need to be, to get this thing up and running like it should be. So that I can download everything, for my Dealerstool, so that it will work. I'd really appreciate the help.

I have no idea what you and the Microsoft people are talking about? I'm really that computer illiterate. Especially with PC's. I've alway owned Mac's. This is my first and will be my last PC, that I'll ever own. If somebody out there, could please explain it to me, in laymen's terms. On how to properly download and reinstall Windows 10. Back onto this acer laptop, I'd really appreciate it. My sisters Acer laptop, I found out last night from her. Has been upgraded to XP, by her husband. That doesn't help me out very much at all. Plus, he's out of town most of the time, because he works for Amtrak. Everything on the computer, has been removed now, by Microsoft yesterday, on this Acer laptop. So now, it's a blank slate and all I need to do, is to just reinstall Windows 10. So, that I can become the new administrator and get my new codes from Microsoft, for this little Acer laptop. Then I can download my Dealertool apps. Otherwise, I'm going to have to take it, into the shop and have it done, and that's going to cost me money, that I really don't have to spend. I don't need a licence. I just need the Windows 10 app. To be re-installed and that's all that I need to do. I don't need anything else. Because, to download The Dealertool drivers and updates, I need to make this little Acer work properly? I need to be the administrator and have the codes. So that Microsoft will let me download my Dealerttool apps, along with any updates. I bought the Acer laptop off of eBay, from a church action. It was a school learning laptop. When I bought the laptop, they didn't give me the administrator codes and I didn't know to ask for them either or I would have. So, what I need to do, is to just reinstall Windows 10 and that's all. The Windows people had me run the computer in a mode that deleted everything on it, including the old Windows 10 app, along with everything else on the laptop. Since, I'm not the administrator and I don't have the codes, I can't download anything. To get this thing up and running like it should be. So that I can download all the apps, for my Dealerstool. So that it will work. I'd really appreciate the help. That's the only reason that I bought this laptop. Was for The Dealertool. Because, The Dealerstool doesn't work with Macs or bootcamp either. This is what the Microsoft tech said to do. But, I have no idea, what they're even talking about?
Dipanjali (Microsoft)
Saturday, July 25, 2020 1:05 AM GMT
Hello Richard,

Create bootable media-
Download tool now
Accept the license
USB
Select the drive

Windows 10 installation steps through USB :

1.Please plug in the flash drive and restart your computer, during restart process.
2.Please keep tapping F2/ Delete so that it enter into boot menu.
3.If flash drive is set as default then the installation will take place automatically.
4.If not then click on boot order and select the boot sequence, and change the priority to 1. Click on save and exit.
5.A black screen will appear on the screen stating 'Press any key to boot from USB'.
6.Please tap any key on the keyboard.
7.It will get you a window where you have to select language, time format and keyboard. Click on next.
8.Enter the product key.
9.Select the Windows edition.
10.Accept the license.
11.Please select the custom install option.

12. Select the partition and click on Next.

Thank you,

Dipanjali.

I have no idea what you and the Microsoft people are talking about? I'm really that computer illiterate. Especially with PC's. I've alway owned Mac's. This is my first and will be my last PC, that I'll ever own. If somebody out there, could please explain it to me, in laymen's terms, on how to properly download Windows 10. Back on this acer laptop, I'd really appreciate it. My sisters Acer laptop, I found out last night from her. Has been updated to XP, by her husband. That doesn't help me very much at all. Everything on the computer, has been removed by Microsoft yesterday, on this Acer laptop by the Microsoft people. So now, it a blank slate and all I need to do, is to reinstall Windows 10. So that I can get my new codes from Microsoft and become the new administrator of the Acer laptop. Then I can download my Dealertool apps. Otherwise, I'm going to have to take it, into the shop and have it done, and that's going to cost me money, that I really don't have to spend. I don't need a licence. I just need the Windows 10 app. To re-download and that's all that I need to do. I don't need anything else. Because, to download, The Dealertool drivers and to make the Acer work properly? I need to be the administrator and have the codes. So that Microsoft will let me download my this post I screwd it up apps. I bought the Acer laptop on eBay, from a church action. It was a student learning computer from a school. . What I need to do, is to just re-download Window's 10 and that's all. The Windows people had me run the computer in a mode that deleted everything on it, including the old Windows 10. Because, I was not the administrator and I need to be, to get this thing up and running like it should be. So that I can download everything, for my Dealerstool, so that it will work. I'd really appreciate the help.
Please disregard regard the first post, I screwed up on it. The second post is what I'm trying to say and makes more since. Thanks folks.

Let's work, firstly, with just the first part of Microsoft's instructions. Since your ACER has been cleaned of any operating system, you need to use a different PC to proceed. I followed the instructions on my MAC, and clicked on the link [Download Windows 10]. that is how I got the additional information (see the quoted text in mr first reply). You MIGHT be able to download Windows 10 on your Mac, I'm just not sure, because I didn't proceed further...give it a try.

Before you do, however, get yourself a 32GB USB drive; that is the minimum size required.

I figured it out and downloaded everything that I needed for my dealerstool myself. I just had to think about it a little more and I downloaded Windows 10 by myself also. All is well now with my little PC and my Dealerstool. I even added chrome to it also. I can pretty much do anything, now with it, if I think about it and then just make it happen.

Well done!!!!

I credit everything to going on a long bike ride for about three hours and calming myself down. A good long motorcycle ride does me a world of good. Always has worked and still does. I still have to buy those Commander III's cruising tires though in September.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom