Jamie

Local time
Today, 13:59
First Name
Jamie
My Ride
Triumph Adventurer 99
Hi all
I have finally found a zx9 rear shock I have stripped it down as it had no pressure in the res.oil was very black but overall it seems ok
Question I have there was no bump stop on it is this normal??
The bladder seems fine would like to replace the seal head or at least the shaft seal but not much luck with parts here in aus. can find the part numbers on line but not sure there still available??
Thanks in advance for for any advice
Cheers

Bumpstop is made of a spongy, foam type material. Degrades with time, pressure washer, etc. For parts try RaceTech in USA. They sell seals, bladder, oil, etc. Dirt bike shop can re-charge nitrogen. Some have been able to use compressed air. Not a lot of places selling parts for shock units and most street bike OEM shocks are not re-buildable. I used ZX9 spring with with pre-load set for "sag", happy with results. A tip or two; Since you're upgrading the rear, when done you'll see how crappy the OEM Triumph front springs are on your first ride. So, if you're ordering stuff from RaceTech, get the recommended front springs, too. Trust me, money well spent! I am a typical, fat Yank, about 215 lbs, OEM Triumph springs were WAY too soft. RaceTech sells the excellent "Gold Valves Fork Emulators". Great stuff, but a bit $$$ and likely overkill on a street bike that's not ridden really hard. I didn't fit them, am really happy with what I have now.

Further; Nitrogen re-charge cost me $20 (USD), cash only, "Come round the back", no receipt, wink, wink. You'll look far and wide for parts and won't find them any where else. See "YouTube" videos FIRST on how to dismantle shock/replace oil. Messy job. Some gentle grinding needed to remove shaft retaining nut. Alloy body of shock reservoir polishes up nicely. You will need to re-position hose a few degrees, so dry fit everything first. A couple of "P-clips" and the stock Kaw bracket will allow mounting on R/H frame, inboard, above rear footrest. Looks factory. CALCULATE "SAG"!!! for proper rear spring pre-load!! ZX9 shock longer, will raise rear ride height a LOT!! Buy a used set of adjustable length "dog bones" ($20, Ebay), the ones with the 3 holes in one end to retain proper ride height. These WILL NOT affect rear suspension geometry. Riding solo, (I weigh about 215lbs), comp set at about 10 clicks out, with 110lb daughter on back about 7-8. No real need to re-adjust rebound. Oh, and make your own tool to measure front fork oil level, you don't need a $$$$ Triumph "special tool" Made mine out of a couple of the metal stiffeners from an old set of windshield wiper blades; a piece tack welded at 90deg to the long one that goes down into the fork, marked for the proper oil level, (220mm, as I remember)

To your original query; The bump stop is made of a rubbery foam that degrades and falls away with time. These are available from RaceTech as well.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom