Rear Suspension Compatibility

Triplet

Local time
Today, 01:29
First Name
Ken
My Ride
2003 TBS & 1996 Daytona Super111 setup for Sport Touring
I own a 2003 TBS. I love it. My favorite bike most of the time. I rebuilt the rear shock recently with a full upper and lower fork revalving Kit from RT, new springs up front the rear was fine and measured ok for my weight. I'm in no hurray to have to change out the rear shock, it's great now. Of course it was 13 + years old with 30k on it, a hard 30k at that. I babied the bike for years but it's become such an extension it gets ridden like a bike heavy dirt bike on the tar and chip back roads and karst hilltops.

Aside from those big heavy steel wire wheels (not the aluminium) the tire choice for the rear stinks! I want to swap out the rear suspension members for a unit from another Hinkley like what's on my Super III and use 180/55's on the rear. I use these tires on 4 or 5 other bikes and sometimes throw my old DOT track tires on there when I burn up a track day or two on them.

Any reason why I couldn't do this? Same frame right? Must you swap the steel Trellis frame parts in too or just the arms, linkage and brake strut? The Super III and many other Daytonas and I presume maybe the trophy as well?

I'm guessing my 03' shock would need replaced as maybe it's length isn't the same. Anyone who could help me here I'd be grateful and not buy these parts when I see them not knowing about fitment. I also entertain the idea of a Daytona kickstand as the oem one is way too long!

dearborn

Local time
Today, 01:29
First Name
Doug
My Ride
1996 Thunderbird, 1975(ish) Norton Commando
Check out the threads here about swapping a ZX9 rear shock, etc. I've done this on my 1996 Thunderbird, (not "Sport), and it worked GREAT!!. You are right on about poor tire choices for these bikes. Spent a good bit of time with reps. from a big handful of tire companies; doubletalk from ALL of them! Some of their comments were; "No such thing as "radial tubes", "Never use a tube not intended for radial tires". "We don't make that size tire anymore". Our tire is a different size but will work". "Our tire is a tubeless radial, it is not intended to be used with a tube". And from Triumph USA; "We can only recommend the original equipment tires", (though the rear tire is no longer made in that size and due to the wire spoke wheels, they came with tubes in their radial tires! When the rep. from Triumph was told that the OEM tire was no longer available and was asked for a recommended alternative, he simply repeated verbatim his previous statement.
I even got a letter published in "Motorcyclist" magazine "tech help" column on this
So, since the original plan for this bike was to "fix&flip"; I went with a bargain priced set of bias ply Dunlop 404s and tubes. These are OEM for various H-D models, I've used 'em on a number of H-Ds I've owned and they are OK, (but not great), "cruiser tires". In retrospect, I should have spent the extra $$$$.
Funny thing, though, the more I "sorted" this bike, the more I liked it! (Galfer braided stainless clutch/brake lines, DynoJet carb work, "green" cams, "superbike bend" 'bars, upgrade brake pads, Racetech front springs, the ZX9 rear shock swap, etc, etc. Winter project- a 6 speed swap.) I LOVE this bike, it has a permanent place next to the Nortons and the Aprilia in the garage. (And no bike payments!!!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Top Bottom