Replacement Head Light Bulb

dynajohn

Local time
Today, 04:54
First Name
John
My Ride
2016 Thruxton R
I replaced the stock 50/55 watt H4 bulb on the Thruxton today. This is something I do with all my motorcycles for better night vision. I used the PIAA Xtreme white plus power sport bulb which puts out equal light to a standard 100/110 watt H4 bulb but uses the same amount of power as the stock H4 50/55 bulb. The bulb is rated at 4000 kelvin which is a very white light and a noticeably whiter brighter beam that lights up the road about 150 feet further than the stock H4 bulb. These PIAA bulbs are available in a anti-vibration heavy duty version (for Harleys presumably) which I use. I usually find these on Amazon for around 22 dollars for a twin pack. Cheap improvement for night vision especially here in KY where deer are everywhere at night.

John

There are some impressive bulbs around for bikes these days nothing like the candle we had burning in the 70's :D

However with that said I have just left my ones standard as I try not ride when it's dark as my vision at night is not great anyway, I suppose better lights would help.

My vision is not great at night anymore either Dave. I also try not to ride at night, same as you, but I cannot always avoid it so I need the extra edge the high output bulbs give me. They are also more noticable during the day when I use the high beam setting all the time.

John

This is always a good mod for the reasons stated.

My vision is fine, but I rarely ride at night and it's usually only coming home from bike night or something similar through well lit suburban areas into the city.
What I have noticed in recent years is the super bright car headlights that can be quite blinding at times which also puts me off riding at night.
I'm quite impressed with the headlights on the modern bikes I have, compared to years ago, so I haven't bothered to make a bulb change.
But I never say never BGRIN

My vision is not great at night anymore either Dave. I also try not to ride at night, same as you, but I cannot always avoid it so I need the extra edge the high output bulbs give me. They are also more noticable during the day when I use the high beam setting all the time.

John

In May 2016 I was riding my HD Superglide on a secondary rural road outside Louisville on my way home. I had a standard H4 bulb in the bike because my PIAA extreme white bulb had failed after 3 years and the replacement PIAA bulb had not arrived. It was in the late afternoon and a pickup truck turned left into a home entrance directly in front of me. Broke my neck, left foot and bones in my left hand and totaled the Harley. Claimed he never saw me. I spent 6 weeks in the hospital and a recovery facility. I still believe if I had that H4 extreme white bulb on bright he "probably" couldn't have missed me or at least I would have had a better chance. I use these bulbs on bright during the day for self preservation and if anyone flashes me during the day I go to low beam, otherwise I run the bright all the time during the day. In town at night I use the low beam and it only very rarely causes another driver to flash their high beams at me.

John

Last edited:
I just installed an LED headlight bulb. It's fanless, so no crazy black box to hide, It's 6500 lumens. That's really bright/ It hurts your eyes to look at the thing.

Dave where did you buy the LED bulb from and who made it???

I bought it from J&P Cycles online. They're a Harley-oriented store if that bothers you. It's made by Pathfinder and is fanless.

I replaced the stock 50/55 watt H4 bulb on the Thruxton today. This is something I do with all my motorcycles for better night vision. I used the PIAA Xtreme white plus power sport bulb which puts out equal light to a standard 100/110 watt H4 bulb but uses the same amount of power as the stock H4 50/55 bulb. The bulb is rated at 4000 kelvin which is a very white light and a noticeably whiter brighter beam that lights up the road about 150 feet further than the stock H4 bulb. These PIAA bulbs are available in a anti-vibration heavy duty version (for Harleys presumably) which I use. I usually find these on Amazon for around 22 dollars for a twin pack. Cheap improvement for night vision especially here in KY where deer are everywhere at night.

John
Thank you the informative post.Aways seeking more light for the night rides.

Sounds like you have the same lights as i have that came from j&P Cycles too and Mine work great!

Yup. It works great, although I still expect people to pull out in front of me. Bright headlights won't change stupid.

Nah Dave, I have bought many parts from J&P. You see I have owned 3 HD's over the last 45 years, the latest one being a 03 Superglide Sport. Before anybody laughs at the word sport this Harley has a S&S motor built in the S&S factory race shop that tops 150 HP & 150 ft/lbs of torque. Thanks for the information Dave

• One more thing Dave, The JP website says the LED H4 bulb is adjustable if needed, I assume they meant the LED could be rotated to adjust beam pattern. Did you have to make this adjustment?? The LED bulb was shipped from JP yesterday. As usual excellent service.

Agreed the PIAA is a great modification for the money but in the great white we pay more like $80 for the twin PAC. I installed just one in tigger so I could the see difference and was impressed considering the stock tiger gets good reviews on the original lamp. I got mine from Action Truck Acc. They stock them. DId not try my Harley store which does a great job on everything except genuine Triumph stuff. now if they would just get a trump dealership ....??? Brooke. Happy New Year.

• One more thing Dave, The JP website says the LED H4 bulb is adjustable if needed, I assume they meant the LED could be rotated to adjust beam pattern. Did you have to make this adjustment?? The LED bulb was shipped from JP yesterday. As usual excellent service.
Yes, I had to make an adjustment. The bulb has several stops so you can adjust it to your liking.

I just installed an LED headlight bulb. It's fanless, so no crazy black box to hide, It's 6500 lumens. That's really bright/ It hurts your eyes to look at the thing.
Hi Dave, I'm an old timer like you (73 years old) and want to upgrade my headlight blub on my Thruxton R. I issues with some bulbs melting the headlight badge. Any issues with the LED you used? Also any issues installing it in the stock headlight bucket? I do not ride much after dark but am scared shitless by the deer in my area. Please let me know what blub you went with and if you still like it. Thanks Neal. PS attached is a picture of my ride.

Attachments

• Thruxton R pix 2.jpg
    Thruxton R pix 2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 7
Hands down, the best, (and cheapest!!!) improvement made to ANY bike is the brightest headlamp you can buy and the LOUDEST horn you can fit!!
Friend has H-D with "Daymaker" H-D accessory headlight--astonishingly great!!!, (but not cheap!!)

Side note; I saw some tiny, white LED lights on EBay for something like 4 bucks a pair. "Can't hurt" says I. Mounted on the sides of the radiator cover facing forward, on my '96 Thunderbird. Have been asked a bunch of times about them by other riders, said they really stood out. Seems that they catch the eye of oncoming traffic as they are "different" or "out of the ordinary" and "draw attention" thus making me more visible. Bought a pair of red ones, too and mounted those under rear turn signals- as bright as the tail lamp and extra measure if bulb fails, (have blown tail lamp fuse and had bulb fail, too). Have not, as yet, despite a few tries, found super bright LED tail lamp bulb to my satisfaction.

This is always a good mod for the reasons stated.
Too true, better lights day OR night just might save your life. I recently put a Phillips X-TremeViisoin G-Force in my Street Cup. Although I do very little night riding it's good to know the extra lighting is there both day AND night.

My incandescent Lucas 370 45/35W headlight bulb lasted a couple hundred miles. Looking at an LED replacement, the one with 8 LEDs on each side, and I see reviews stating that they can't dim the high-beam. Both are the same. One guy installed a diode inline and that fixed it. A Norton guy had to remove the indicator lamp to make the LED operate with 2 distinct patterns.
I need to make a purchase yesterday as I don't much fancy riding around this insane city with no light! Any thoughts or long-time reviews? Thanks -Brian

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom