=-ring

The WestCoast

Riding for 41 Years
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:53
Norway, Jaeren - at the west coast, near the sea.
First Name
WestCoastViking
My Ride
Triumph Thunderbird 900, 2000 mod.
I also must ask her cause, I have received so many weird opinions and possible solutions about this problem I ran into. I will also attach some pictures that illustrate the problem, picture 1 is the well as it was before i cleaned it, and the O-ring sat this way when i first time discovered it. Pic 2 is the state of the O-ring after I had it pulled out.20210722_134216.jpg20210722_134840.jpg

Ok - I changed oil and filter on my Thunderbird 900 2000 model for the first time after let someone else do it the last 3 years. When I was cleaning up in the well where the actual filter insert is located, I discovered a gasket, or an O-ring, which looked completely broken. It was partially attached to a groove in the well. I pulled it out and put it away. The O-ring is the same size as the largest of the two O-rings that follow the filter insert on the new set.

Some say that I must take down the sump and put on a new O-ring, as this is an O-ring that will prevent the main flat gasket that covers the entire bottom pan from being “overloaded” in a way that it can be blown a hole in due to the pressure in the filter? Others say that this is not true, and that there will not be that kind of pressure in the well itself.

I personally think that this is an O-ring that those who have recently changed the filter have inserted by mistake of some sort. Also have read about two others that has ran into the same problem, but no mentions about what’s the right answer/solutions etc.

I'm a little nervous yet, a doubt has arisen. What if I could lose oil pressure due to the possibility that there should in fact be an extra O-ring here?

At the same time, I find no logic that there will be an extra O-ring that’s support the main gasket of the sump, that could be “blown” in to the well at this way? And – I have also been driven the whole last interwall with this problem – a non-functioning O-ring, and there has been no signs of pressure loss etc. I have also assembled it all now, with no O-ring – all works fine, but my eyes constantly monitoring the red dot in the middle of the clocks to see if it suddenly screams NO PRESSURE to me… :eek::eek::eek:

Are there someone who has an opinion about this?

Last edited:

sikatri

Local time
Today, 17:53
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
That would worry me as well. Hopefully someone here can help.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
My gut reaction is you need a new o-ring in that groove. But, I don’t know anything about your model so I’m no authority.

The WestCoast

Riding for 41 Years
Local time
First Name
WestCoastViking
My Ride
My gut reaction is you need a new o-ring in that groove. But, I don’t know anything about your model so I’m no authority.
Thanks, and I'm of same opinion. I ride now with all attention on this matter. Some says it's totally ok, other the opposite. I'm also now writing a email to Triumph dealers. I have called the local dealer, they could not see otherwise that this was the residue of a "o-ring go wild". Even the charts of sump gaskets do not bring clarity.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
Thanks, and I'm of same opinion. I ride now with all attention on this matter. Some says it's totally ok, other the opposite. I'm also now writing a email to Triumph dealers. I have called the local dealer, they could not see otherwise that this was the residue of a "o-ring go wild". Even the charts of sump gaskets do not bring clarity.
Contacting Triumph is a good idea. Let us know what they say.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
It looks like this ring in the pic. What does the rest of the housing look like? Very confusing diagram on what goes in there.
56F6B5B1-C203-48E0-8A53-184041F14C18.png

Last edited:

The WestCoast

Riding for 41 Years
Local time
First Name
WestCoastViking
My Ride
It looks like this ring in the pic. What does the rest of the housing look like? Very confusing diagram on what goes in there.
View attachment 50205
By rest of the housing, I understand it that you mean the inside of the "well" that the filter sits in? Well, I am absolutely just a average man when skills here, i have now passed my 50s, and are mainly floating of skills from when the world started, eh - from when I almost drank motor oil together with all mye beloved "motor-thing" back in the days.

But that's really surprising me here, is that this "spot" of a challenge, is so less talked about? Two other guys has described the problem, but no clear answers?

I will try to illustrate what maybe the confusing thing about this MAYBE can be, just maybe. In a manual - I have drawn an arrow to illustrate - IF there is a o-ring that will enforce the flat sump gasket, I think that this ring is assembled either over/under the main sump gasket. Anyway, how on earth will this gasket could be "blown" in or out of the grove when torqued and tightened? Also, I have been driving around whit the flimsy ring without nothing happen. And - if there's is such an important to this ring, it MUST had been pointed out in one way or the other, that one would check to see if all is ok?

I tend to believe that this is a homeless ring, wrongful placed there by a mistake...oring tb.jpg

Wire-Wheels

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
Today, 15:53
My Ride
2002 America.
I would not get too worried. I have had 2 of these T-3s for years. I find some of the filter suppliers include an o-ring that is too large. I started stocking o-rings from the Triumph dealers only. I think someone in the past used the wrong o-ring. Just make sure the new one fits correctly.
...J.D.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom