Rocket III Heat Issues

Ksquared

Speed Triple
Local time
Today, 00:37
My Ride
2009 Red/Black R3T
Hello.

I'm new to this site. I've currently got a deposit down on a new Thunderbird 1600, a bike I like very much. However, before making the deposit I was considering Rocket III, but was convinced not to pull the trigger on it because of what I read on the Web regarding heat issues, especially on the Touring. I live in South Florida and 1/2 the year ride in temps which exceed 90 degrees F, sometimes for months at a time. If the bike is really the "heat pump" many people say it is, that would be intolerable.

What is the experience here with the Rocket and heat issues?

I can't speak for the Rocket, although, I have also heard about the heat issues. My experience is that any bike with a faring is hot here in Florida. No colder than it gets, I can tough the winter out without a fairing; although I must admit there our times when I would like to have a fairing. Just having the side car on Mae Lyne's Bonnie makes it warmer than mine on the legs.

We in S.A. have summer temps in the high 20's / low 30's deg c (85 to 95 deg f.) during summer. The only heat I get from my R3 is on my right foot / calf sometimes, but only at lower speeds. There is no residual heat which affects the ride unless you are messing around in traffic.

i'm not speciffically anti T'bird, but there is lot to be said for the R3 considering the price and mass of the T'bird in comparison.

85 hp v/s 150 hp.......

300kg v/s 330kg (dry).........

I think for me the actual bulk of the bike would be the big issue here. I was a bit hesitant when getting the Speedmaster because of its size but it worked out great in the end

I would venture to guess that any large displacement bike in South Florida would have some heat issues if you are stuck in traffic but would be fine when you are moving.

Even here in Pennsylvania on a extremely hot day (we would call 90 F extremely hot here), my 1200 Trophy (faired) gets hot around the crotch area in traffic. When the cooling fan kicks on....you can really feel it.

You are right, AJ, except it is not just South Florida; it is all of the Southeastern States 9and Southwestern, too). An extremely hot day here would be 100 +. A normal summer day is the mid 90's.

Ksquared ,

I live in Tampa , have a standard 2005 Rocket III .
Once you get rid of the cat box & get a PC III
( power commander )
so you can dyno & get the AIR / FUEL RATIO right
about 12.5 to 13 and not running lean anymore
the heat issues are gone totally ! :ya2:
Of course with any bike , setting @ a long red light
with No breeze to blow heat away, in 90 + temps
your going to get hot .
The big problem is the cat box choking exhaust
and backing it up , once it's removed 75% of heats gone . other 25 % after PC III installed & dyno tuned
a/ f ratio done

https://www.triumphtalk.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1013

Hope this helps

Wayne

Ksquared ,

I live in Tampa , have a standard 2005 Rocket III .
Once you get rid of the cat box & get a PC III
( power commander )
so you can dyno & get the AIR / FUEL RATIO right
about 12.5 to 13 and not running lean anymore
the heat issues are gone totally ! :ya2:
Of course with any bike , setting @ a long red light
with No breeze to blow heat away, in 90 + temps
your going to get hot .
The big problem is the cat box choking exhaust
and backing it up , once it's removed 75% of heats gone . other 25 % after PC III installed & dyno tuned
a/ f ratio done

Triumph Motorcycle Forum - TriumphTalk

Hope this helps

Wayne

I am wanting to know more. I have a 2011 R3T that's bone stock. Last ride I got 33.4 mpg and I am wondering if the performance mods you speak of wil make the fuel mileage worse. What do you get after the mods?

Probably won't get an answer from dragline, jetjky. He was last seen 2013.
Not familiar with the R3 myself, so can't be much help.

Thanks for chiming in. I learned on my Uncle's 69 Bonnie back around 1970 when I was 13. Had always ridden dirt bikes and was making my way into motocross until I,started breaking frames, just too big of a kid to be doing those type of things. My Uncle secretly introduced me to his Triumph and the rest was history. After college in 1980, I wanted one but they were just too expensive here in the states (tariffs) so I started with the Yamaha 650 twin. I have always wanted a Triumph and now I have one, the R3T. Largest small bike I have ever ridden! I am 6'5"/280 and need the floorboards moved so this winter, there will be a complete refab in the works to go,lower and farther forward.

If the R3 does not suit me, I will sell it and get a Project Bonnie to make a bobber fun bike. I do not do a lot of long distance riding anymore anyway. Hopefully the R3T will change that.

Triumph makes a modern Bonneville Bobber.

If the R3 doesn't suit you, an adventure bike like the Tiger 1200 may work better. Lots of people find them comfortable for long distance and the extra leg room doesn't hurt.

Triumph makes a modern Bonneville Bobber.
I've seen it. I like it. If a fun barhopper is in my future, I will just build it. There are a few very good old school shops around here and I will get a frame and get started.

If the R3 doesn't suit you, an adventure bike like the Tiger 1200 may work better. Lots of people find them comfortable for long distance and the extra leg room doesn't hurt.
I had thought about that too. I have friends in AZ who go out adventuring and weekend camping on them visiting old ghost towns in the middle of nowhere. If I lived in AZ I would have one for sure. I wish you could rent them out there.

For an an adventure tourer, I would pick a Triumph any day over a BMW.

For an an adventure tourer, I would pick a Triumph any day over a BMW.
I agree 100%. I chose the Tiger 800XC over the BMW 800GS for that very reason.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom