Rpm One Warranty?

turtleman

Local time
Yesterday, 20:39
First Name
Larry
My Ride
2014 1700 Thunderbird LT.
Well idling problems are back! Seems fix was not correct! as soon as outside temperature gets above 70, just before fan comes on idle drops, wants to stall, fan comes on idle ok for a time, then starts all over. called dealer, there full up, can't take bike back until sat. glad to have warrenty , but what good if no fix. I Iam on spring break from school, BIKES BROKE.
no fun. now I know why peaple don't want triumph's just like old ones, but new problems and not many dealerships around that know whats up with them. triumph should pay me to be ginnypig with my bike!

DRod

Local time
First Name
Dave
My Ride
2014 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
i feel your pain. Dumb question, have you loaded a custom map recently? if so, start there. Launch TuneECU and run diagnostics. You can also adjust fan settings if needed. Let me know what you find out.

I didn't have an issue with my custom map but I did have an idle problem with my 14 t-bird that I just couldn't figure out. Bike would stall just cruising into a gas station. also had a rough idle even after riding all day. Sometimes it was fine, other times it ran awful. i tried everything to smooth it out. Adjusted everything I could find. All of my tweaking resulted in temporary fixes. then I did some research on other forums and heard about others having similar issues. Many discovered it was caused by a faulty stepper motor, which manages throttle response. Others found loose map sensor connections. I checked the map sensors and found nothing wrong so I took it to my dealer to have them check out the stepper motor. At first they couldn't confirm anything and continued to make tweaks that didn't last more than a few hours.

Finally I pushed hard to have the stepper motor replaced. Once they did, the problem disappeared. I've been good ever since. I'm afraid to even touch the bike since it runs so good. The items you need to check all sit under you tank. The map sensors are nothing more than rubber boot type plugs. check to see if one of them is loose. it's hard to tell just by looking at them. You need feel them. If they're good, then focus on the stepper motor and have that replaced under warranty. You may need push for them to do it. after warranty you'll end up paying for it. good luck. Those are the only two areas that others have discovered as the cause for bad idling on the newer FI bikes. let us know how you make out.

turtleman

Local time
First Name
Larry
My Ride
2014 1700 Thunderbird LT.
took bike back today (sat) told them again about stepper motor. new service manager for triumph, indian, victory service department going to open. this man said going to get it right and push triumph corp. for any parts needed. I will call warranty corp. monday, there is such a thing as lemon law. triumph needs to step up. at this point wish i would have bought yamaha stratoliner, proven bike, plenty of power.

Iflybikes

Riding for 57 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 17:39
First Name
Mike
My Ride
2021 t120 Bonneville Red/Silver
I used to work for Circuit City and then for Comp USA and the pressure to sell "Cheese" was almost at the do it or loose your job level. Considering all the pros and cons my own personal choice came down to adding up all the money I would have spent on extended warrantees(that make a whole lot of money for the dealership, a bargain for them, not you) and compared it to even the catastrophic failures and saying no, absolutely no to extended warrantees. I have NEVER lost on that decision. They don't call it "cheese" for nothing. In many if not all cases the amount they make on the extended warrantees exceeds the profit margin on even a high end motorcycle.(or washing machine or computer, etc) They play on your fears and go to corporate sponsored seminars on the psychologies of convincing you to buy them. "Is that Bree?"

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom