Rusted Tank

Allen_Duck

Local time
Today, 15:17
First Name
Allen
My Ride
Speed Triple 1050
Hi All - I had to leave my bike while overseas working for about 12 months. I left it with gas and fuel saver, came back and tried to get things kicked off yesterday. Come to find out the inside of the tanks is super corroded, The gas is orange with rust, I have disassembled the pump and the filler so I have complete access and its a mess. The inside of the tank looks like it is coated with some black skin. Question, anyone else see this and is it recoverable, lastly any of this junk in the injectors likely to blow through or create more issues?? Many thanks. Allen

Hi, Allen! That's a bummer. Someone with more experience will be along shortly with more info for you.

Allen, that really sucks. There are some folks here that can help you. @triumph david At the very least dump old gas completely.

My 78 bonnevile had a rusty tank form sitting for 3-4 years. I used 1 gallon gas, sea foam additive and pea gravel and strapped it in the trunk of my car for a couple weeks, then pressure washed the interior of the tank. Came out pretty clean and I do keep an inline fuel filter in place. No problems yet.

I had the same problem recently and solved it using Soda Crystals, which are very cheap from the supermarket. I have used this method in the past, but this time it took 4 weeks!
Remove the tap/filters/sender and make a plastic or metal blanking plate to cover the hole.
Rinse the tank out with a small amount of petrol to remove any loose big bits.
Mix 1 tablespoon (17.8ml) per litre of water and fill it to the brim (15 litres on a 900 Adventurer).
Make some way of suspending an electrode in the water without it touching the sides.
Attach the +ve side of a battery charger (or charged battery) to the electrode and the -ve side to the tank.
Switch off and clean the rust off the electrode every day until there is no more rust.
Allow the tank to fully dry (in the sun or somewhere warm).
Rinse out with a small amount of petrol to check that it is clean inside.
Replace the tap/filter/sender. I also fitted an extra, in-line filter too.
Full instructions here:-

Attachments

• Tank Cleaning2.jpeg
    Tank Cleaning2.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Tank Cleaning1.jpeg
    Tank Cleaning1.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 2
Sorry, only just remembered. After the soda crystal electrolysis, I soaked the tank for about 2 hours with normal washing-up liquid, followed by about 10 rinses with water.

Sorry, only just remembered. After the soda crystal electrolysis, I soaked the tank for about 2 hours with normal washing-up liquid, followed by about 10 rinses with water.
Seems like a minor thing, but, yes, you do have to eliminate the electrolysis solution before putting fuel back in the tank.

Allen, i have worked on many MC fuel tanks at my radiator shop, sounds like your tank just needs a good cleaning try using 7% or 9% vinegar just slosh it around every ounce in a while and wash it out with water. That will clean it and will remove surface rust this is a good place to start and is cheap and simple. If i can be of any help just PM me.

Allen, I knew that Triumph David had a lot experience with rusted MC tanks.. Follow his advice and feel free to send him a private message.

Allen, i have worked on many MC fuel tanks at my radiator shop, sounds like your tank just needs a good cleaning try using 7% or 9% vinegar just slosh it around every ounce in a while and wash it out with water. That will clean it and will remove surface rust this is a good place to start and is cheap and simple. If i can be of any help just PM me.
Did you treat the inside with anything after?

sikatri, sorry i haven't got back to you, if you get all of the rust out and the tank is in good shape just use as is,don't use ethanol gas as it has alcohol in it and will attract water witch will settle at the bottom of the tank and cause rust. I use a tank sealer that is the only one allowed to be used in the aviation industry, but only if the tank is in bad shape and has had leaks welded up on it. Another tip that is important is keep your tank full of gas especially when sitting up, this keeps the air (humidity) out of it.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom