Scared To Buy. Convince Me It's Ok!

Lovely agile bike I test rode one before I decided on the bigger explorer.

if ya want to ahead of the pack buy Triumph, beats all the rest bone stock

Hello Fellow Riders! Just signed up here, almost ready to purchase a New 2014 Tiger 800-XC ABS SE Pretty sweet looking bike! It's brand new 8 miles on it. I have a few questions I hope some will be able to help with.
Here's my Motorcycle Experience: 130,000 Miles, over 5 BMW's, 3 being 1200 GS's. I'm 6'2" and 205lbs. Not very strong, 70-YO. So, I just got back from a trip to Barcelona, Spain, at the last moment I decided to rent a bike there and experience riding in a different country. I rented a 2015 BMW 800GS, Now it has been a while since I road BMW's, I went crazy in 2014 and purchased a Indian Chief Vintage. One hell of a lawn chair down the road! Lol.

I only put 3,800 miles on it in 2-1/2 years. Much better than a Harley in my opinion, But I just got bored with it, not my cup-of-tea. So I just sold it a few days ago. The motivation to sell came from renting the BMW 800GS. I got to take it on a lot of coastal roads, many that were pretty challenging, twisty wise. It was so much fun, that motivated me to sell my Indian and pursue a smaller lighter bike. I was surprised to see how much Triumph was into the adventure models. I thought that the BMW 800 GS had plenty of power for me, and handled very well, It gave me confidence. So I think I have settled on the right style of bike. The price is far less on the Tiger 800XC as compared to the BMW 800GS.

What do you all think of how the Tiger 800XC rides compared to the BMW800GS, (I have watched and read reports) Just wanted to get a true riders perspective. I know the BMW's gas tank is lower and center to the frame for better balance, as compared to the Tiger's conventional gas tank. Is there much of difference in handling, (Especially at low speeds) of the Tiger. Also, I have read some grumbling about the Fly-by-Wire throttle. How bad could it be on a 2014 800XC? The weight of both bikes is about the same, Also, Triumph has a pretty cool Promo going on right now, $1,000.00 in vouchers to spend on any Triumph accessories, for me, that means a center-stand, heated grips, 12volt socket, engine protection bars, and fog-lights. Plus Freedom Road financing has 0-down, No payments until April, 2017, then a 3.99% Interest rate. They are making it hard to say No, But, in the end I have to live with the bike and the payment.
The out the door price is $11,345.00 for a New 2014 Tiger 800XC ABS SE model, plus free accesories.

So, chime in and make me aware of any concerns I should have in the commitment to a 2014 Tiger 800XC. Thanks and looking forward to hopefully meeting some new riders!

SDude

:y151:andWELCOMEto the forum from across the pond. I can only say that my mate bought a Tiger 800 and absolutely loves it to bits. This year we've been to Germany, Holland, France, and Belgium, and the North of England, and Scotland, with no trouble at all. He also has a Thruxton and loves that too. I have the 95 Thunderbird and the feeling I get from riding that is second to none. I did have a BMW R1150 GS and watched it corrode in front of my eyes, and it did nothing in the satisfaction department, so I got shot of it.
Triumphs for me are in another league when it comes to riding pleasure, they've just got it so right, just take a look at the latest bikes they've added to their range. There are other riders here on the forum that will give you more information about the Tiger than I can, but it's all positive that's for sure.
Oh yes, I hope that you'll enjoy the forum too.

SDdude, welcome to TT from Southeast Texas.

I've only ridden a 650GS so can't really compare the 800GS with the 800 Tiger. I traded my 955i Girlie for the 800 and was concerned about the lower cc's when I made the purchase. Now a little over two years later I wonder why I was concerned. The 800XC is the best bike I've owned. The '13 wasn't one of the fly by wire bikes so I have no experience with them.

If I was to do it all over again I would change nothing.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom