Scrambler 1200 Owners - What should I know?

Dr Joe

Local time
Yesterday, 23:58
First Name
Joe
My Ride
Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC
Just bought a Scrambler 1200 XC with Escape Kit. I test rode a 2017 BMW F800 GS, a Honda Africa Twin, an FTR 1200, a Scrambler 1200 XE, and sat on a Ducati Desert Sled (Dealer could not allow test ride). The Scrambler 1200 is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden, right out of the box. A big part is the bench seat. I can move back (and around) where I am comfortable without being pigeon holed into a spot (like the virtual saddle of the multistrada) which inevitably pushes me toward the tank.

I am still second guessing if I should have gone for the XE. I am 6'6". These are big bikes (not quite Africa Twin Big), and I felt even more comfortable on the XE, which is a bit larger bike and even has adjustable handlebar height. However, I didn't have the best experience on the XE as it seemed to wander a tiny bit here and there on the test ride. Sort of unnerving, like going over a bridge grate, but I was on asphalt . After the ride I even checked to see the bikes had the same tires (they did have Metzeler Tourance). The dealer thought the tire pressure may have been an issue, because he thought I was only coming for the XC and did not pre-check the pressure in the XE.

I do "0" off road riding, save a gravel/dirt road I may run into by accident out here in Iowa. It is simply the bench seat and bike height that drove me to the scrambler market. So, between the factory installed Escape Kit on the XC, along with the fact that it is designed for more on road the the XE, I got the XC and just ordered Rox Risers for the handlebars.

Looking for any words of wisdom, tips, or any chatter in regard to the Scrambler 1200. I am happy to try to answer any questions or give my opinions if anyone is curious.20190616_120754.jpg

Congratulations on your new Scrambler! Fine looking bike! And welcome to TT from the Sunshine State. Enjoy that Scrambler!

Thanks Carl S!!! Yes, I love the look of the bike. Had a car full of 20 somethings drive by, hanging out of the Jeep windows shouting "Wow... Nice Bike". I will be spending the winter in the beautiful state of FL next year. Of course, I'll bring this bike. I keep a Suzuki DL650 down there, but I will put that on the chopping block in favor of the Triumph.

Please let me know when you get to Florida. I would love to meet you in person.

Nice write up and welcome to TT from Eastern Canada.
First new Scrambler 1200 on here I believe. Congrats.

I am honored. I had no idea I would be the 1st. I figured there would be a dedicated thread.

Hello and welcome to TT from another "easterner" BBEER
Cool bike TUP TUP

Curtis the Triumph sales manager here showed me a vid of him lifting the front tire on a 1200. Those things are powerful!

Yes. I have lifted that front tire a few times (on the center stand in my garage - it's easy). J/K Yes. In 1st and 2nd gear I do feel with a twist and a yank I'd easily be riding a unicycle.

Hello and welcome to TT from another "easterner" BBEER
Cool bike TUP TUP

Thanks Rocky. I grew up on Long Island (from your perspective a "southerner"), but I do identify as a "easterer".

They have really come a long way with the scrambler since they first released it. This one sure is stunning and the more I see it the more I would like to own one. I would have a hard time now if I were purchasing a bike because between this and the Tiger it would be hard choice.

Since there are not a ton of Scrambler 1200 owners here, I thought I'd take a moment to give you some initial impressions. I am not an expert in any area of motorcycling, I just know what I like in a bike.

I have only ridden the bike about 400 miles. Let's see how I fell as it turns 5,000 miles. Today, I took the bike back to where I bought it (Baxter Cycles - Marne, Iowa). This is about a 75 mile (each way) trip for me. I decided not to take the Interstate, but instead use a road that takes you through about 5 or 6 very old proto-typical Iowa towns. So for about an hour and 45 minutes each way, in 75 degree weather, I really got to know this bike while riding on a two lane highway, through rolling green land, windmills, flat cornfields and old towns. Funny, bringing bikes in for local service is generally considered a chore. This was a great ride. I would recommend Old Hwy 6 and White Pole Road in central Iowa for anyone in the area looking for an amazing ride.

Short story. This bike is awesome.

The more you twist the throttle, the more you feel pull. Period. Torque through the whole range. It's like it only needs two gears, maybe one.

I love the exhaust sound. It is like both a high rev put-put and a deep throat growl, with occasional muffled deceleration pops.

Very well balanced bike. You can stop it, and then put your foot down. It has a sure footed feel on the road and it is light and easy to move around (even at slow speed).

Brakes (front and rear) are best ever. Nothing to add.

Did I mention the exhaust sound?

Gauges up high (no need to move head) and able to read in bright sunshine through tinted drop down visor and clear face shield.

Suspension is a bit stiff, but better then my Suzuki V-Strom 650. Not really stiff, just compared to touring bikes - so not really a criticism.

Upright, comfortable riding position (which is why I was attracted to scramblers). I have 2 inch Rox Risers on the bars. I am 6'6"- 260 lbs and all muscle (only in my dreams).

And then there is that exhaust sound.

There is a lot of heat from the right side. I don't notice it at all (I did ride one day in 90 degree weather) when I ride, but when you stop and idle, this bike is hot. Great in colder weather, but definitely not a bike to take into bumper to bumper traffic in the summer.

To be picky...

No flasher for the brights (but I love the trigger location), and when you turn on the brights it shuts off the fog lights. I understand why, but I flash my brights a lot when I ride and I ride with the fog lights on so I can be seen. It makes for a lot of pushing buttons, albeit simple to do.

Joystick seems a bit flimsy and not easy to work with gloves and is close to the directional signal.

No ambient temperature display and can't get all information on the display at one time.

They really have turned this bike into something great. All the points you covered here would be on my list when purchasing a bike.

It seems that this one would now tick all the boxes for me as well.

Thank you fro an excellent report. TUP TUP

PS I have done business with Baxter Cycles. Great guys there.

Nice report TUP
Even way over here on the Canadian east coast we know about Baxter Cycles.
You really did the right thing by riding the two-lane roads and getting to know the bike. That's where they really shine and the ride is a joy for you
Hills, valleys, curves, open farm land and small towns. That's where the fun is TUP TUP

Since there are not a ton of Scrambler 1200 owners here, I thought I'd take a moment to give you some initial impressions. I am not an expert in any area of motorcycling, I just know what I like in a bike.

I have only ridden the bike about 400 miles. Let's see how I fell as it turns 5,000 miles. Today, I took the bike back to where I bought it (Baxter Cycles - Marne, Iowa). This is about a 75 mile (each way) trip for me. I decided not to take the Interstate, but instead use a road that takes you through about 5 or 6 very old proto-typical Iowa towns. So for about an hour and 45 minutes each way, in 75 degree weather, I really got to know this bike while riding on a two lane highway, through rolling green land, windmills, flat cornfields and old towns. Funny, bringing bikes in for local service is generally considered a chore. This was a great ride. I would recommend Old Hwy 6 and White Pole Road in central Iowa for anyone in the area looking for an amazing ride.

Short story. This bike is awesome.

The more you twist the throttle, the more you feel pull. Period. Torque through the whole range. It's like it only needs two gears, maybe one.

I love the exhaust sound. It is like both a high rev put-put and a deep throat growl, with occasional muffled deceleration pops.

Very well balanced bike. You can stop it, and then put your foot down. It has a sure footed feel on the road and it is light and easy to move around (even at slow speed).

Brakes (front and rear) are best ever. Nothing to add.

Did I mention the exhaust sound?

Gauges up high (no need to move head) and able to read in bright sunshine through tinted drop down visor and clear face shield.

Suspension is a bit stiff, but better then my Suzuki V-Strom 650. Not really stiff, just compared to touring bikes - so not really a criticism.

Upright, comfortable riding position (which is why I was attracted to scramblers). I have 2 inch Rox Risers on the bars. I am 6'6"- 260 lbs and all muscle (only in my dreams).

And then there is that exhaust sound.

There is a lot of heat from the right side. I don't notice it at all (I did ride one day in 90 degree weather) when I ride, but when you stop and idle, this bike is hot. Great in colder weather, but definitely not a bike to take into bumper to bumper traffic in the summer.

To be picky...

No flasher for the brights (but I love the trigger location), and when you turn on the brights it shuts off the fog lights. I understand why, but I flash my brights a lot when I ride and I ride with the fog lights on so I can be seen. It makes for a lot of pushing buttons, albeit simple to do.

Joystick seems a bit flimsy and not easy to work with gloves and is close to the directional signal.

No ambient temperature display and can't get all information on the display at one time.

Hi Dr. Joe !
Congratulate with a grast bike.
My is exactly equal.
But with handguards, centerstand, grab rack, heated grips, knee pads, dresser bars, komplete rugged pannier and side stand extension.
I have ordered a genuin Triumph small screen.
For little longer trips it`s ok with some protection.
(For longer trips I go with my 2003 Aprilia Caponord EVT.)

I love this Scrambler. Feel exactly what you describe when I ride my Scrambler.
With suspension on comfort – the bike behave very well. Not too stiff – not too soft.
I have been waiting for the «right bike» for 30- 40 years.
Was on my way to buy a BMW nine-t Scrambler. But when I got aware of this scrambler – I was sold.

The touringscreen are not available for now. Shame.

I hope Bagster will make a cover for the tank – a Bagster bag will give more space for the luggage.
The final drive ratio do not fit how I use my bike. I very seldom drive highways with this bike – rather narrow curvy roads with speed between 70 and 90 km/h.
Hope I can obtain a sprocket in front or behind which will decrease final drive.
After 2000 km I am very satisfyed.
The XC is the right bike for me - not XE.
Time will show further upgrading.

Good report. TUP

Hi Dr. Joe !
Congratulate with a grast bike.

Hello Velocette,

Welcome from America! I have taught some classes in Stockholm years ago, a beautiful city. I had a few Norwegians in my class, but never made it to Norway. I'll bet your rides through narrow, curvy roads are awesome!

Just rolled 1,500 Miles on the bike. Suspension has softened a bit (to my liking). Still in love with this bike! Enjoy the bike and ride safe.

They have really done great work on this bike and it would be on my list if I were looking at getting a new bike. I did dome riding on the BMW 650 and I was very impressed with it so if you say this is even better then I am really interested.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom