Scrambler 1200 Tyres

Shaun64

Local time
Today, 05:23
First Name
Shaun
My Ride
Street triple RS
What tyres are going buy to replace the metzerlers that come as standard?.

Im thinking probably michelin tkc70, shinko 705s, or maybe another set of the tourance tires. With 5500 miles on my set of tourance they seem like they are barely worn except a bit of squaring off on the rear, so I'll probably have these on for at least another year or two.

I’ll not be buying another set of the tourance as I find they track on poor roads and my front isn’t wearing well and I’ve only 3700 miles on the clock,I’ve stopped buying Pirelli or metzeler as I seem to wear the fronts out prematurely.

I have a Mitas E07 Dakar rear and a TKC80 front on standby to install when I've used the Tourances for a while. I expect the combination to work well on the many gravel roads where I live in Alberta. Certainly better than the Tourances that are fine on the asphalt and although not horribly bad on gravel - they are limited.

I have Dunlop Trailmax Missions on mine. Despite their appearance, they are truly 50% offroad; but the other half is more like an 80% street tire. Truly an amazing tire.Scrambler2.jpg

They look the business TUP

I had the same question, though for a 2014 Scrambler 900. Replacing Avon Trailriders, looking for more of an 80/20 and was actually considering Tourances. Good option? Those Trailmax Missions look bad-ass with great tech, but I'm a little concerned that the on-road will suffer more than I'd like. Sir Lancelot, how significant a change do you expect I'd notice from the Avon's I've got now?

Last edited:
they do look awesome. I to would like to know how they compare on the road.

These tires arent the best out there

I wanted to provide an update on the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires. I have no complaints at all on the pavement, they perform as well or better than a 20/80 tire. On the trails, they do very well. The only problem is when I go out to the Anza Borrego desert and encounter deep loamy sand (the loose kind). The rear has no problem getting traction in the deep stuff; but the front doesn't track well and it takes a lot of energy to wrestle it. I have been going to Anza Borrego and wrestling in the deep sand often enough that I'm considering replacing my front tire with a Motoz Tractionator Rallz which is a 90/10 tire even though my Trailmax have less than 1k miles.

I’ve fitted some continental trail attack 3s but not used them yet but once I’ve done a few miles on them I’ll report back.

I have the Motoz Rallz. Exceptionally grippy off road on SoCal mountain trails/fire roads. Haven't tried them in loamy sand, but they look like they'd be good for it and for mud. They are wearing fast-ish. I'll get about 2,500 - 3,000 miles out of the rear with about 70% time on the freeway getting to the dirt. The front is wearing unevenly due to heavy street acceleration/breaking burning up the aggressive, yet firm knobs. They are incredibly competent on tarmac / tight canyon curves. No idea about street rain performance. I'm not a skilled rider but these make feel extremely secure off-road and on streets...tons of grip. Will last longer than TKC80s which were my prior favorite big block tires on my tenere and ktm 690. The TKC80s are quieter on freeways, but I use noise cancelling Bose headset so it doesn't matter.

I have the Motoz Rallz. Exceptionally grippy off road on SoCal mountain trails/fire roads. Haven't tried them in loamy sand, but they look like they'd be good for it and for mud. They are wearing fast-ish. I'll get about 2,500 - 3,000 miles out of the rear with about 70% time on the freeway getting to the dirt. The front is wearing unevenly due to heavy street acceleration/breaking burning up the aggressive, yet firm knobs. They are incredibly competent on tarmac / tight canyon curves. No idea about street rain performance. I'm not a skilled rider but these make feel extremely secure off-road and on streets...tons of grip. Will last longer than TKC80s which were my prior favorite big block tires on my tenere and ktm 690. The TKC80s are quieter on freeways, but I use noise cancelling Bose headset so it doesn't matter.
Thanks for the info! I think I'll keep the trailmax missions on the rear since I've had no issues with it and they are supposed to be able to go 6-8k miles. I just need a more aggressive front tire.

I’ve done between 300-400 miles on the continental trail attack 3s so far , what’s impressed me the most over the tourance is the don’t track the groves and the imperfections in the road , they also take the bumps better and corner brilliantly, great tyre so far.

Approaching 8,000 miles on the stock rubber has both the front and rear worn to the point where they will not pass inspection that is due in August. Trailmax Missions are going on as replacements. I was going to stay more street oriented, because I use my drz400 or crf450x when getting into the dirt, but after running into deep snow and slush on a ride through mountain roads with my son this spring and having to turn around and struggle back through about 2 miles of snow to get out when I couldnt keep going; I decided I'll get a 50/50 tire for those times when I need them. Now that there is a 50/50 tire out that I can expect to get good road mileage and good road handling out of, it is a pretty easy decision.

My Missions are still holding down these bags of mulch , guess that means they take priority over the yard work ? I was lucky to get them as they were out of stock in eastern Canada . My neighbour inquired a couple of days after I got mine and they were sold out again . Have to be installed soon , inspection has been expired for a couple of months now . Will be interested to hear more reports as people get some miles on them ….

Attachments

• 00B66544-DF1A-4F23-A0B3-AA2FB46604EC.jpeg
    00B66544-DF1A-4F23-A0B3-AA2FB46604EC.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 6
Had my Missions on since early last summer and have about 6K kms on them showing very little wear. Been down some rough dirt roads a few times and like the road handling. Not a knee dragger but have been through some twisties a few times without complaint.

Thanks for the comments Q …
Hopefully things will be opening up soon so we get out for tour . A friend wants to head to St John’s but no plan yet . If the Trans Lab could be worked in I would more interested but that would require Quebec to get their act together ,even the Gaspe would be ok . Any idea on state side openings ? The Adirondacks and Poconos seem to be pulling at my heartstrings too . Have you ever done the Stud Mill Rd in Maine ?

Thanks for the comments Q …
Hopefully things will be opening up soon so we get out for tour . A friend wants to head to St John’s but no plan yet . If the Trans Lab could be worked in I would more interested but that would require Quebec to get their act together ,even the Gaspe would be ok . Any idea on state side openings ? The Adirondacks and Poconos seem to be pulling at my heartstrings too . Have you ever done the Stud Mill Rd in Maine ?
@brooke Never did the Stud Mill Rd. Did not hear of it before. Trans Lab could be done thru Newfoundland, just can't do the Quebec part. Would have to backtrack thru Da Rock again to get home. Gaspe is something I would like to do as well, but until the Covid gets under control, don't think you'll see the borders open for a while. Maybe next year.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom