Scrambler 1200 Xe Broke Down

You guys are making me glad I went with a no-tech 2008 air cooled carbureted non-ABS 900 Scrambler. It just works. The only modern feature I wish it had was tubeless spoke wheels.

I’ve had the scrambler out for the first time since it was repaired,all was going well until the screen started to flash that the key wasn’t close enough to the bike which got worse until it was on nearly all the time, I wish I’d never bought this pile of shite.

My bike is still at the dealer with a whole host of issues. But the primary one that may be interrelated with the others is the key fob. Seems to be a common problem and the dealer even admitted that the keyless ignition is more trouble than its worth. For what its worth, maybe try your normal keys? Your owners manual will show you where the antenna are that register the key. Although there is obviously some difference between the standard key and the wireless fob, the standard key still has a chip in it that allows the antenna to read it and allow the bike to be started.

Ive read a lot of trouble with Triumph's keyless ignition as well as the TFT screen recently , it looks as though thev'e not been tested hard enough before production .... either that or poor quality control ?

I’ve had the bike to triumph this morning and it looks like it’s been the key fob battery, fingers crossed I’ll have no more trouble with it. Cheers.

Ive read a lot of trouble with Triumph's keyless ignition as well as the TFT screen recently , it looks as though thev'e not been tested hard enough before production .... either that or poor quality control ?
That was another problem I had early on. After just one ride upon taking receipt of my Bond bike from the dealership, the TFT screen went out completely. It took 6 weeks to get a new one from the UK (due to it being the special Bond version).

Defective chips from China are effecting many brands not just Triumph.

Victor is spot on. I have seen failures on three other brands of bikes.

Victor is spot on. I have seen failures on three other brands of bikes.
What other brands was it? I am guessing bmw, Ducati, ktm.

Update: After a week of diagnostic testing to ensure there weren't other electronic failures going on, my dealer has concluded that the fob is shorting out. There is a chip that fails at a fairly high rate, they are going to order me a new one. In the meantime, I haven't had a single problem with it failing to start by placing the standard key in the cell phone charging pocket under the seat. There is an antenna in there that can read the chip that is in the standard key. So if you plan to be on the bike all day and aren't worried about theft, you can eliminate problems with the fob by starting out your ride with placing one of your standard keys under the seat.

Update: After a week of diagnostic testing to ensure there weren't other electronic failures going on, my dealer has concluded that the fob is shorting out. There is a chip that fails at a fairly high rate, they are going to order me a new one. In the meantime, I haven't had a single problem with it failing to start by placing the standard key in the cell phone charging pocket under the seat. There is an antenna in there that can read the chip that is in the standard key. So if you plan to be on the bike all day and aren't worried about theft, you can eliminate problems with the fob by starting out your ride with placing one of your standard keys under the seat.
Glad your bike is being sorted, regards taking both keys with you as a back up , I asked about doing this at my dealer last week and they advised against it because it confuses the bike as it doesn’t no which key to take the signals from, I can see there being a recall on the fob as it’s so much trouble.

That very well could be. I should clarify that I am entirely fobless right now until my new one comes in (which may take 3-6 weeks). So there is no signal confusion.

Glad your bike is being sorted, regards taking both keys with you as a back up , I asked about doing this at my dealer last week and they advised against it because it confuses the bike as it doesn’t no which key to take the signals from, I can see there being a recall on the fob as it’s so much trouble.
That seems like nonsense to me. The non fob keys have very limited range and only work very close to the sensor. The bike getting confused would only happen when there's a non-fob key next to the sensor and the fob key is turned on and even that seems unlikely. Certainly having a non fob key in your jacket pocket for example would be okay in my view.

For me I solved the issue by moving the under seat sensor to inside the l/h panel and placing a pouch for the non fob key there. I do carry the fob key but it's never turned on. I did the pouch option so I can easily remove the key if I leave the bike unattended.

DSCN6119.JPG

DSCN6121.JPG

That seems like nonsense to me. The non fob keys have very limited range and only work very close to the sensor. The bike getting confused would only happen when there's a non-fob key next to the sensor and the fob key is turned on and even that seems unlikely. Certainly having a non fob key in your jacket pocket for example would be okay in my view.

For me I solved the issue by moving the under seat sensor to inside the l/h panel and placing a pouch for the non fob key there. I do carry the fob key but it's never turned on. I did the pouch option so I can easily remove the key if I leave the bike unattended.

View attachment 49465

View attachment 49466
Touch wood my key fob has worked well since I changed the new triumph battery’s twice and now fit Duracell battery’s,which were recommended by someone on another forum,I rang triumph head quarter in the Uk to tell them about Duracell battery’s ,they said they’re aware that Duracell battery’s work better 9 out of ten times and have advised dealers to use them.

Touch wood my key fob has worked well since I changed the new triumph battery’s twice and now fit Duracell battery’s,which were recommended by someone on another forum,I rang triumph head quarter in the Uk to tell them about Duracell battery’s ,they said they’re aware that Duracell battery’s work better 9 out of ten times and have advised dealers to use them.

That's good to know. Maybe I'll give it a try.

I've also read about putting some packing in the battery compartment so the battery makes better contact.

Dang moden electronics, I think I'll look for a vintage bike next time.

Victor, i agree with you.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom