Today, 19:33
Jan 7, 2019
London
First Name
John
My Ride
2016 Triumph Scrambler 865
Hi,

This is a question which has probably been asked and answered many times before - but I am a relative newbie and would like some assistance.

Unfortunately, because of work, family and travel commitments, I was unable to ride my 2016 Triumph Scrambler in December, meaning it was parked up, covered in its usual parking spot outside in London. When I came to try and start her up yesterday, the electrics came on and the lights looked as bright as normal, but the bike didn't start when I pressed the ignition. There is fuel in the tank, the kill switch is in the correct position and it has not been that cold in London (5-9 degrees). When the ignition is pressed, there is an audible click (of the spark plug?) but nothing else...

I've never had a problem with the bike before, and it was recently serviced.

What could this issue be and what is the solution.

My back-up option is to contact a local mechanic to come and take a look (as I can't go to them), so finding out what the problem is first may be wise!
Thanks

Regards,
John

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 1 Year
Local time
Today, 11:33
May 4, 2016
Northern California
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
The first guess is that your battery is weak. It is about 3 years old, and batteries do not really like cold, especially as they get old. I'm not saying immediately go out an buy a new battery, but I would recommend getting a battery tender, sometimes called a trickle charger, and use that on the bike while the bike is not being used for a while.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 26 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 15:33
Jan 28, 2006
Halifax
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
I agree, dead battery. Get it charged and then see what happens.
If you continue to have problems with it holding a charge, time for a new one.

Last edited:

triumph david

Riding for 59 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 13:33
Nov 25, 2013
brookhaven
First Name
david
My Ride
1976 t140 Triumph, 2006 Road King, 1982 Honda CB 900 C, 1973 Yamaha 360 Enduro, 1972 Corbin
I agree low battery, charge it up first to see if that is a fix.