Scrambler Not Starting

ahanbeck

Local time
Yesterday, 23:59
My Ride
2006 Scrambler
Hey all,
I store my Scrambler in my garage over the winter, never had any issues starting up in the spring.
This year, I put the battery back in, once I pressed the start button, all I get is a few intermittent clicks, then a solid noise.
The battery is at full charge, the lights all come on...
Ive been reading up on the net but any help would be great.

Thanks

Are you sure that your battery is not bad as this really sounds like you don't have enough power coming from it to turn the bike over.

Are you sure that your battery is not bad as this really sounds like you don't have enough power coming from it to turn the bike over.
I'm thinking the same thing.
The lights may come on but there's not enough juice to start the bike.

I'm thinking the same thing.
The lights may come on but there's not enough juice to start the bike.

Thanks for the replies!
Yeah that's the firs thing I thought of too. The battery was on a trickle charger through the winter and when I threw a meter on it, it read over 12v. That rules out the battery doesn't it?

a.

Thanks for the replies!
Yeah that's the firs thing I thought of too. The battery was on a trickle charger through the winter and when I threw a meter on it, it read over 12v. That rules out the battery doesn't it?

a.
That sounds about right, but electrical problems can be a bear to diagnose and next to impossible long distance.
If the bike started and ran well last year right up until the time you stored it for the winter, then it should start now.
Electrical parts on the bike don't simply fail while they're sitting - which brings us back to the battery.
If the battery is good and is holding a full charge, then this may be a job for a trained hands-on mechanic who should know what to look for.

Perhaps some others may weigh in on this and be more help.

I would do some more checks on your battery. Check the voltage across the battery with nothing turned on, it should be around 12.8v for a fully charged battery. Then turn the ignition on and press the starter button, if the voltage drops below 11v I think your battery needs replacing.

I would do some more checks on your battery. Check the voltage across the battery with nothing turned on, it should be around 12.8v for a fully charged battery. Then turn the ignition on and press the starter button, if the voltage drops below 11v I think your battery needs replacing.

I Agree with you Rocky and gumpt1oo, something is fishy with the battery.... the more I think about it and read your replies, the stronger that feeling gets. It feels unlikely for it to be anything more serious.
I will try the test you suggested gumpt1oo once I get off work. Would it be bad if I got "sick" all the sudden and had to go home to try it out ;)

a.

I'd try jump starting off another car or bike, that will tell you if its the battery.

Ok, I tried the load test you suggested gumpt1oo and once I hit the start button, the voltage dropped to under 7.
DAMN BaaaaaaaaaaaaaTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!
OK, I guess this is good news, relatively easy fix and back on the road within a day :)

Thanks everyone for the help.

I thought it sounded like a battery issue, glad it is an easy fix.

I thought it sounded like a battery issue, glad it is an easy fix.
Yeah, I was pretty certain it was the battery too.

When my battery died on my Scrambler I changed it from the Yuasa YTX12-BS to a Motobatt MBTX12U.
The reason I changed is that the Motobatt has a 200 CCA rating, (cold cranking amps) compared to the Yuasa that is only rated at 180 CCA. I have been very pleased with it, it has been on 2 yrs now with no problem. I keep it on a battery tender through the winter.

I just bought a 2017 STREET SCRAMBLER and I have had persistent problems starting it. I have taken it to the dealer and they only erased code error and reset the ECU. With only 400 miles it has been sitting in the garage more than I can ride it...very very disappointed in the reliability...compared to my kids Japanese bikes, they get a good laugh and ride while I wait for Triumph to resolve this lemon.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom