guscar65

Riding for 10 Years
Local time
Today, 11:16
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018
Now kicking 71, have got about £5k to spend (little part time job) . I reckon I have maybe 10years of active life left so am going to go for it. I already have a Bonneville T120 which is ideal for time with my wife----and although quite rapid and reasonably dynamic I have decided that to get the best out of my time with the 'boys' and our ride-outs something slightly quicker and better handling is the thing , (they have honda CBF1000, Kawasaki sx1000) . I will need to have or fit a screen on whatever I get, possibly maybe soft luggage also. SO, have been looking around all makes /types and have come to the conclusion that a street triple could be the answer , other possibilities are tiger or tiger sport, maybe even speed triple--- Would be very interested in the views of our members--what do you think best suits the bill? I guess the fly in the ointment with the T120 is not so much its acceleration --but how long the motor takes to spin-up. (fractions of a second matter when looking for a quick overtake on a short straight).

Qship

Riding for 40 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 07:16
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
Speed or Street Triple won't disappoint. Love the triple on my Tiger. They are addictive.
For riding comfort, I would think the Street would be more comfortable with it's more upright riding position.
Only a test ride will tell you for sure. GL in your quest.

guscar65

Riding for 10 Years
Local time
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018
Speed or Street Triple won't disappoint. Love the triple on my Tiger. They are addictive.
For riding comfort, I would think the Street would be more comfortable with it's more upright riding position.
thanks for this----I know it may have been a stupid question in some ways ----but is the little gems like 'more upright' from someone who knows that really matter..

guscar65

Riding for 10 Years
Local time
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018
Did you see this video in our video section. New bikes but can get a general feel for the Street Triple.
I do follow the missenden flyer ------but missed this one, I thought that he had closed down for lockdown. Anyway thanks for this ----most helpful and ,in fact, made up my mind so its a street triple 2013 on. can't quite stretch to a 765 but a second gen with 106hp, ABS will do very nicely. Lockdown is making it tricky though as it limits choices to dealers that can give a video tour and arrange delivery. Should find one though .

ManInTheJar

Riding for 46 Years
Local time
First Name
David
My Ride
Tiger 800XRXand Street Triple R
Now kicking 71, have got about £5k to spend (little part time job) . I reckon I have maybe 10years of active life left so am going to go for it. I already have a Bonneville T120 which is ideal for time with my wife----and although quite rapid and reasonably dynamic I have decided that to get the best out of my time with the 'boys' and our ride-outs something slightly quicker and better handling is the thing , (they have honda CBF1000, Kawasaki sx1000) . I will need to have or fit a screen on whatever I get, possibly maybe soft luggage also. SO, have been looking around all makes /types and have come to the conclusion that a street triple could be the answer , other possibilities are tiger or tiger sport, maybe even speed triple--- Would be very interested in the views of our members--what do you think best suits the bill? I guess the fly in the ointment with the T120 is not so much its acceleration --but how long the motor takes to spin-up. (fractions of a second matter when looking for a quick overtake on a short straight).
I have a 2013 Street Triple and a 2017 Tiger 800. Both are fun but quite different bikes.

The Street Triple is pure fun, really addictive and has a great power to weight ratio so can hold its own with larger bikes (especially in the twisties). The lack of wind protection can be a nuisance at sustained high speeds. The riding position is more upright than a sports bike but is not totally upright.

The Tiger is a really practical bike which is still fun to ride. It has bags of torque, some wind protection, longer range and a more upright riding position. The ability to add hard luggage is a bonus, I throw my camera equipment in my luggage, then leave my helmet and bike gear securely in the luggage once I arrive at a location. The screen can cause some buffeting but this can be addressed to an extent. It has a highish CoG which requires a bit of care when pushing it but nowhere near as bad as most sports tourers.

BTW I also had a CBF100, a real torque monster but wind buffeting was really tiring and the dodgy charging system was a real nuisance. I reckon the Tiger would keep up with one.

guscar65

Riding for 10 Years
Local time
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018
I have a 2013 Street Triple and a 2017 Tiger 800. Both are fun but quite different bikes.

The Street Triple is pure fun, really addictive and has a great power to weight ratio so can hold its own with larger bikes (especially in the twisties). The lack of wind protection can be a nuisance at sustained high speeds. The riding position is more upright than a sports bike but is not totally upright.

The Tiger is a really practical bike which is still fun to ride. It has bags of torque, some wind protection, longer range and a more upright riding position. The ability to add hard luggage is a bonus, I throw my camera equipment in my luggage, then leave my helmet and bike gear securely in the luggage once I arrive at a location. The screen can cause some buffeting but this can be addressed to an extent. It has a highish CoG which requires a bit of care when pushing it but nowhere near as bad as most sports tourers.

BTW I also had a CBF100, a real torque monster but wind buffeting was really tiring and the dodgy charging system was a real nuisance. I reckon the Tiger would keep up with one.
good info------I had a CBF1000 also and its rather the benchmark for performance that I tend to judge others on ----I couldn't use all it had to offer

guscar65

Riding for 10 Years
Local time
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018

I also had a CBF1000, and really it is the benchmark bike that I judge others on. Your info is really good thanks. Back in the day in the year the tiger came out (2011?) I was in the market for my first NEW bike I really , really wanted one BUT they were selling like hotcakes at full price ----no offers or interest free, not even old demo's. So I just couldn't afford one and settled for a Kawasaki Versys instead -----ok not in the same league but it was OK. Experience now tells me though that a high C/G maybe good for handling but where i live (my drive is steep, onto a steep access road and a steep hill!!) i need to be able to wrestle bikes around, so stability is key. Also, I need at least as much go as the CBF to stay with the pack, preferably a tad more. The tiger screen doesn't seem all that good and would need a change anyway so maybe buying the street triple and buying a screen would work out OK----I intend to ask the forum if any striple owners have done just that!. But once again thanks for taking the time , much obliged.

ManInTheJar

Riding for 46 Years
Local time
First Name
David
My Ride
Tiger 800XRXand Street Triple R
I also had a CBF1000, and really it is the benchmark bike that I judge others on. Your info is really good thanks. Back in the day in the year the tiger came out (2011?) I was in the market for my first NEW bike I really , really wanted one BUT they were selling like hotcakes at full price ----no offers or interest free, not even old demo's. So I just couldn't afford one and settled for a Kawasaki Versys instead -----ok not in the same league but it was OK. Experience now tells me though that a high C/G maybe good for handling but where i live (my drive is steep, onto a steep access road and a steep hill!!) i need to be able to wrestle bikes around, so stability is key. Also, I need at least as much go as the CBF to stay with the pack, preferably a tad more. The tiger screen doesn't seem all that good and would need a change anyway so maybe buying the street triple and buying a screen would work out OK----I intend to ask the forum if any striple owners have done just that!. But once again thanks for taking the time , much obliged.
I have the Triumph visor with a Powerbronze screen on my 2013 Street Triple. This gives some wind protection, it moves the main airflow on to my upper chest without causing any buffeting around my helmet. At the time this was the best option available, things may have changed since.

Re performance the Street is very capable, drop a gear or two and overtaking is a breeze. Adding a quick shifter helps get through the gears quicker improving acceleration. A tad more power is available by changing to a less restrictive later air intake (approx £10), fitting a less restrictive exhaust and applying an Arrows map. I have an Arrows with no baffle which isn't that loud, whereas the same set-up on the Tiger is ear-splitting.

The only failure I have had is the charging system so worth checking this is working OK.

I have an expanding Triumph tailback which zips to the pillion seat, it holds a surprising amount of stuff but obviously not secure.

If you are considering a Street then I would recommend joining the Street Triple forum, the guys there are really friendly and helpful.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1595360481995.jpg
    FB_IMG_1595360481995.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 2

guscar65

Riding for 10 Years
Local time
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018
I have the Triumph visor with a Powerbronze screen on my 2013 Street Triple. This gives some wind protection, it moves the main airflow on to my upper chest without causing any buffeting around my helmet. At the time this was the best option available, things may have changed since.

Re performance the Street is very capable, drop a gear or two and overtaking is a breeze. Adding a quick shifter helps get through the gears quicker improving acceleration. A tad more power is available by changing to a less restrictive later air intake (approx £10), fitting a less restrictive exhaust and applying an Arrows map. I have an Arrows with no baffle which isn't that loud, whereas the same set-up on the Tiger is ear-splitting.

The only failure I have had is the charging system so worth checking this is working OK.

I have an expanding Triumph tailback which zips to the pillion seat, it holds a surprising amount of stuff but obviously not secure.

If you are considering a Street then I would recommend joining the Street Triple forum, the guys there are really friendly and helpful.

thanks for your reply , most helpful.

Vector

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
Today, 03:16
First Name
Gary
My Ride
2020 Vanderhall Venice Blackjack
I sold my bike because of arm and neck problems and now ride (drive) a Vanderhall. I have been missing two wheels so I am thinking of getting a Royal Enfiled INT 650 just to ride around town occasionally.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 29 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 07:16
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
I sold my bike because of arm and neck problems and now ride (drive) a Vanderhall. I have been missing two wheels so I am thinking of getting a Royal Enfiled INT 650 just to ride around town occasionally.
That would be a good choice. Everything I hear about them is positive - and they have that nice classic look.

Vector

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
First Name
Gary
My Ride
That would be a good choice. Everything I hear about them is positive - and they have that nice classic look.
And 2/3 the price of most bikes.

Vector

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
First Name
Gary
My Ride

guscar65

Riding for 10 Years
Local time
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018
I have been watching progress of the INT 650 in press etc. -----then one passed by as I was out walking---- it sounded really good , and looked a picture in orange. In the 'flesh' you notice how compact it is. I reckon it would suit your purpose. Good luck with the search.

keystiger

The Joker
Riding for 41 Years
Local time
Today, 05:16
First Name
Adrian
My Ride
2005 Triumph Tiger, British Racing Green--the fastest color
what he said owned over 30 bikes over the years... the minute I fired up a Triumph Triple (My first was a 2000 model Speed Triple) -- I was DONE with the rest.....ANYTINHG with the Triumph Triple motor has my vote
Sprint
THunderbird
Speed 3
Street Triple
Daytona 955i
Daytona 675
Tigers Galore.....

just DO IT

guscar65

Riding for 10 Years
Local time
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018
what he said owned over 30 bikes over the years... the minute I fired up a Triumph Triple (My first was a 2000 model Speed Triple) -- I was DONE with the rest.....ANYTINHG with the Triumph Triple motor has my vote
Sprint
THunderbird
Speed 3
Street Triple
Daytona 955i
Daytona 675
Tigers Galore.....

just DO IT
love the passion you have! -----its as infectious as humour. Yes i am looking , (don't know why italics have appeared!) lockdown is making it harder than it should be. e.g. you do really need to stand in front of a private sale ------but travel restrictions make this impossible. So kinda restricted to dealerships that can give a video 'tour' and arrange delivery. I had to buy my current car this way ---and it worked very well indeed. Oh yes and i am wary of distant private deals after being badly bitten on a ebay buy of my very first bike (honda cx650) it looked great on photos---- when it arrived it had non matching side panels which were not obvious on photo-----and it wouldn't start. The brakes were :shit: and rear tire was crazed through age. Stupidly, I kept it as returning was so much hassle and I knew I could fix it also loved it as a cruiser . --it came up goodish in the end but lesson learned .

Vector

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
First Name
Gary
My Ride
I am going to pass, they will not be reasonable on price. I think I'll keep my eye open for vintage Triumph.

keystiger

The Joker
Riding for 41 Years
Local time
Today, 05:16
First Name
Adrian
My Ride
2005 Triumph Tiger, British Racing Green--the fastest color
TRIUMPH TRIPLE MOTOR ...... its the BOMB -- (in a good way)

I opened one up (split the engine cases) the Sprint I owned had 98,000 (not a TYPO) miles and the starter clutch died (on that mdoel) you had to open the engine to repair the "sprag" clutch....... I prepared for a complete "rebuild" since I figured "WHY NOT IM IN THERE??" ------ didnt need it!!!!!!!!!!....... that internal area was CLEAN I mean CLEAN pistons looked NEW.... all was in tolerance----(insane but true)
Triumph Triple + synthetic oil + regular changes = happiness forever

My "HARLEY" friends give me grief saying my bike sounds like a DIESEL .............. (none of theirs are even CLOSE to 98,000 miles ) --- Ill take a "diesel" over a HD Twin ANY DAY!

Vector

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
First Name
Gary
My Ride
I'll take an HD over any brand any day, but yes those Triple motors are fun.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom