guscar65

Riding for 10 Years
Local time
Today, 05:15
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018
I have the Triumph visor with a Powerbronze screen on my 2013 Street Triple. This gives some wind protection, it moves the main airflow on to my upper chest without causing any buffeting around my helmet. At the time this was the best option available, things may have changed since.

Re performance the Street is very capable, drop a gear or two and overtaking is a breeze. Adding a quick shifter helps get through the gears quicker improving acceleration. A tad more power is available by changing to a less restrictive later air intake (approx £10), fitting a less restrictive exhaust and applying an Arrows map. I have an Arrows with no baffle which isn't that loud, whereas the same set-up on the Tiger is ear-splitting.

The only failure I have had is the charging system so worth checking this is working OK.

I have an expanding Triumph tailback which zips to the pillion seat, it holds a surprising amount of stuff but obviously not secure.

If you are considering a Street then I would recommend joining the Street Triple forum, the guys there are really friendly and helpful.

Well the search is OVER, I went into the local dealer (cuoar motorcycles) they have a branch just a few hundred yards away. They had a Tiger 800, SV650 and a 650 ninja.------so i thought brill-----i can sit on them all and maybe try a couple. The sales team are really good and were more than happy for me to look through their stock throwing a leg over----they moved bikes around to give me best access and offered me test rides on any and all that I fancied. My first call was the tiger----it was fully loaded box's, engine bars , spots . HOWEVER the price was nearly 6K for a 2011----without ABS, I sat on it and just knew it wasn't for me ---I just didn't feel right .This was a dissy since I have wanted one since they came out. I don't know why----maybe the balance it did feel top heavy----maybe the 'sit' although I was flat footed the width of the seat made contact with ground uncomfortable. Anyway I was put off by no ABS. SO with some lead in my heart I took a test ride on the Ninja ---might as well have a ride since I was here. It was an absolute blast ---light, agile , just good fun. But of course no good for my purpose ---the knee bend would give cramp after about an hour. Whilst handing it back I noticed a couple of sales/mechs having a look around a bike which had just that very minute come in. The sales guy shouted to his mate at his desk 'yes its got ABS'. I looked over -----it was a BMW F800GT, a bike that i had some interest in back when I bought my Versys. SO one test ride later ---that's the very bike for me! its a mini tourer 208Kg, compact , 90hp belt drive and it handles but is fully loaded and comfortable.
I will never sell my T120 its just so full of sensations ----it looks a million dollars but I now have a (left field choice) bike that I can use hard without worrying about mileage, use etc. The T120 , a nice day, wife on the back ----doesn't get better than that.
I'll take an HD over any brand any day, but yes those Triple motors are fun.

ManInTheJar

Riding for 46 Years
Local time
First Name
David
My Ride
Tiger 800XRXand Street Triple R
Well the search is OVER, I went into the local dealer (cuoar motorcycles) they have a branch just a few hundred yards away. They had a Tiger 800, SV650 and a 650 ninja.------so i thought brill-----i can sit on them all and maybe try a couple. The sales team are really good and were more than happy for me to look through their stock throwing a leg over----they moved bikes around to give me best access and offered me test rides on any and all that I fancied. My first call was the tiger----it was fully loaded box's, engine bars , spots . HOWEVER the price was nearly 6K for a 2011----without ABS, I sat on it and just knew it wasn't for me ---I just didn't feel right .This was a dissy since I have wanted one since they came out. I don't know why----maybe the balance it did feel top heavy----maybe the 'sit' although I was flat footed the width of the seat made contact with ground uncomfortable. Anyway I was put off by no ABS. SO with some lead in my heart I took a test ride on the Ninja ---might as well have a ride since I was here. It was an absolute blast ---light, agile , just good fun. But of course no good for my purpose ---the knee bend would give cramp after about an hour. Whilst handing it back I noticed a couple of sales/mechs having a look around a bike which had just that very minute come in. The sales guy shouted to his mate at his desk 'yes its got ABS'. I looked over -----it was a BMW F800GT, a bike that i had some interest in back when I bought my Versys. SO one test ride later ---that's the very bike for me! its a mini tourer 208Kg, compact , 90hp belt drive and it handles but is fully loaded and comfortable.
I will never sell my T120 its just so full of sensations ----it looks a million dollars but I now have a (left field choice) bike that I can use hard without worrying about mileage, use etc. The T120 , a nice day, wife on the back ----doesn't get better than that.
Congratulations on finding the right bike for you. My neighbour has an F800GT and it is a nice bike which should fit the bill. I agree with your assessment of the Tiger it's off road orientated stance makes it feel a bit top heavy at rest when compared to bikes like the street triple although it feels light and nimble on the move.

Blue02

Riding for 55 Years
Local time
First Name
Baz
My Ride
2019 street twin 900
Now kicking 71, have got about £5k to spend (little part time job) . I reckon I have maybe 10years of active life left so am going to go for it. I already have a Bonneville T120 which is ideal for time with my wife----and although quite rapid and reasonably dynamic I have decided that to get the best out of my time with the 'boys' and our ride-outs something slightly quicker and better handling is the thing , (they have honda CBF1000, Kawasaki sx1000) . I will need to have or fit a screen on whatever I get, possibly maybe soft luggage also. SO, have been looking around all makes /types and have come to the conclusion that a street triple could be the answer , other possibilities are tiger or tiger sport, maybe even speed triple--- Would be very interested in the views of our members--what do you think best suits the bill? I guess the fly in the ointment with the T120 is not so much its acceleration --but how long the motor takes to spin-up. (fractions of a second matter when looking for a quick overtake on a short straight).
We are the same age and my previous bike was a street triple, I now ride a street twin.
I loved the triple, it is very quick, light and easy to handle. Now the downside. Due to the slight forward lean my wrists were aching something terrible during rides, the seat is too firm but that can be remedied and also the ride is very hard even on the softest setting.
If you are able to put up with those issues it is a great bike.

guscar65

Riding for 10 Years
Local time
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018
We are the same age and my previous bike was a street triple, I now ride a street twin.
I loved the triple, it is very quick, light and easy to handle. Now the downside. Due to the slight forward lean my wrists were aching something terrible during rides, the seat is too firm but that can be remedied and also the ride is very hard even on the softest setting.
If you are able to put up with those issues it is a great bike.
thanks for this, yes, I eventually came to that conclusion after having a chat with a couple of guys at the local burger stop---- and I got to throw a leg over his (gen 1 street-triple) pity. Anyway , saw a BMW F800GT at local dealer-----had a test ride ---and bought it ---2014 seems to fit the bill . Of course when you look at the forum ----there are all the usual issues -----screens , seats etc. etc. hopefully nothing I can't sort. ----One thing though , when I read all the old docs that came with it, the last garage to service it noted that the drive belt was damaged AAAARGH they are damned expensive , the dealer said they will take it in for an inspection (funny how their '300' point PDI missed such an important 'detail). Not happy but hoping they will do the right thing and replace it!.

Vector

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 21:15
First Name
Gary
My Ride
2020 Vanderhall Venice Blackjack
I had an BMW800GS, good bike but parts are extremely expensive.

guscar65

Riding for 10 Years
Local time
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018
I had an BMW800GS, good bike but parts are extremely expensive.
yes already sussing this----drive belt -£204 parts only, and usually fitted with cush drive rubbers another £50------oh yes and if the drive wheels need done ---another £200 odd!. ouch!. not sure that I will be keeping it long, it seemed like a good idea at the time , its a bit out of fashion but its stance is exactly what I wanted (adventure style tooo high) there are a good many 'issues' though that make ownership more problematic than it should be. fingers burned !

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom