Riding for 25 Years
Local time
Today, 00:23
First Name
Courtney
My Ride
2007 T100
2011 Road Glide
I’ve always been an opportunistic shopper and have a revolving parking spot in my shop with a different bike every year.

I’ve had a Bonneville for a year and love it so much I want to upgrade. Looking to sell my T100 and get a 1200r to keep long-term.

so he are my questions:

Fairings: I love the look but can’t imagine they do much with the riding position. Sound like a lot of people add them. Anyone take em off?

Colors: I’m not a fan of the matt look of the newer ones. I only see fairings on mat-black, red and silver which might not matter since I’m not sold on it. seems pretty limited on colors especially competition green. Did the only do that for a short period of time?

Anyone chose the standard Thruxton 1200 over the R? Especially used seems silly for the amount you would save.

Budget is $9000-12000. Thanks in advance for any other advice on a used Thruxton purchase.

I ride a lot and have read and searched others posts, just need to reach my post minimum to list the T100!

brooke

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
Today, 01:23
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
16 thruxton r. 2011 tiger 800
Few chose the standard model over the R , actually I think standards would be hard to find used . R models used and for sale are quite common I believe . Red and silver are most loved . R models are considered a bargain vs the standard because of the value of the upgraded brakes and suspension. If you can find one with an upgraded seat and a decat that would be good.

Coolhands

Riding for 25 Years
Local time
First Name
Courtney
My Ride
2007 T100
2011 Road Glide
Few chose the standard model over the R , actually I think standards would be hard to find used . R models used and for sale are quite common I believe . Red and silver are most loved . R models are considered a bargain vs the standard because of the value of the upgraded brakes and suspension. If you can find one with an upgraded seat and a decat that would be good.
yes very few standards, usually I’m looking at them wondering why they’re not about a grand more, then notice the standard forks and brakes. Also looking for upgrades done on someone else’s dime. Seems smart as most have work done to them already. Thanks!

SDNoon

Riding for 38 Years
Local time
Today, 05:23
First Name
Simon
My Ride
Thruxton R, Speed Triple
Hi, I bought a used 1200r, the fairing is more aesthetic, I reckon. It kind of finishes the bike, standard tank looks a bit odd without it IMHO. I love mine, handling is sublime, brakes amazing, sound with the cat fucked off and some end cans - amazing. It does need a bit more power in my opinion, but the exhaust changes goes some of the way to sorting that - lovely bike, had mine less than a year and put 5,000 miles on it. I bought it 2 years old with 1500 miles on the dial! Test ride one, you won't regret it, but beware once you've tried, you will have to have one!

Coolhands

Riding for 25 Years
Local time
First Name
Courtney
My Ride
2007 T100
2011 Road Glide
Hi, I bought a used 1200r, the fairing is more aesthetic, I reckon. It kind of finishes the bike, standard tank looks a bit odd without it IMHO. I love mine, handling is sublime, brakes amazing, sound with the cat fucked off and some end cans - amazing. It does need a bit more power in my opinion, but the exhaust changes goes some of the way to sorting that - lovely bike, had mine less than a year and put 5,000 miles on it. I bought it 2 years old with 1500 miles on the dial! Test ride one, you won't regret it, but beware once you've tried, you will have to have one!
Thanks! I have a 900 T100 that this will replace so sure it will have more power than that!

Nortony

Riding for 45 Years
Local time
First Name
Anthony
My Ride
Thruxton TFC
Been through a couple of Triumph’s before buying my first Thruxton R in 2016. Immediately went in search of a fairing, set of Vance and Hines silencers, Power Commander and one or two other mods. Coming off a S1000RR certainly a different animal completely but I found that I actually preferred the more relaxed seating position. Sold the S1000RR basically because I just wasn’t riding it anymore and bought a TFC as a second bike, it’s actually nothing that different then the standard R I have tarted up.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom