Side stand bypass?

Hi,

There is a very easy way to bypass the side stand switch. Remove the two wires from the switch and and install a paper clip into both wires this will tell the system that the stand is up. This will also tell you that if the unit runs that the switch itself is bad at that point take electrical tape and rap the wires and order a new switch. If the unit does not run you will have to use an ohm meter to trace back the wiring and see if there is a loose connection somewhere. I have used this procedure on clutch switches as well.

Good help to the OP. Thanks. Rep given.

Hi everyone, I raised this issue when I first joined this group and introduced myself. In my book, whoever designed this side stand cut out is going to be first against the wall when the revolution comes. I'm going crazy with it! Please, is it possible that, with the wisdom of your collective minds, I can get my poor old 96 T-
Bird going again? Here's the story so far: (Sorry if this is long winded - this is really 'Triumph Talk!')

I bought the bike as a non-runner project. The previous owner said he stopped riding the bike as the oil pressure light had started to occasionally flicker, that the helicoil for number 1 plug had stripped; the speedo was broken and the hooter didn't work. He'd parked the bike off with a guy who worked on Harleys, mostly, and who frightened him to death by quoting telephone type numbers to rebuild the motor.

When I got the bike home I quickly found the helicoil was just fine. The 'Harley' guy had attempted to remove the plug with the wrong sized plug socket. The speedo was obviously buggered, and the hooter just needed an earth lead. That just left the matter of the flickering oil warning lamp, and I was guessing that the oil pump was the culprit and I quickly found a good s/h one on E-bay. The motor came out easily and it was apparent that there was no real wear anywhere and no damage from oil starvation. Turned out that the pump had been apart in the past and its screws had not been tightened properly, hence it had no proper oil pressure. We checked the gearbox and clutch, fitted all new gaskets, installed the newly sourced oil pump just to be safe, and reassembled the whole thing in the frame. We rebuilt the carbs and installed new carb to port rubber tubes as well. The Harley guy had robbed the throttle cable while it was in his care so we waited while a new one came from the UK with the carb tubes. When we started it, the old thing fired up beautifully with full oil pressure and a really lovely sound - I see the silencers state "Not legal for road use': As we live in Africa not too many people are bothered by such niceties!

So anyhoo, with all the work done it was now found that as soon as the clutch was in and a gear selected she just cut out. Side stand up or down, the same disappointing situation. We traced the wires and found the side stand switch had actually been removed and the two wires from it had been twisted together - which made sense, but still didn't make it work! The anti theft alarm had also been removed too, and a bridge had been added, presumably to fool that one too. No result despite lots of prodding and fiddling to see if it was a bad connection there somewhere. Nothing, nix, nada, zip, aicona (that's Zulu fyi)

So we looked over this thread and followed the link about the relay and promptly secured one and added it as shown. Nothing.

I've started to give up the will to live. Mechanically the machine is 100%, we've even started polishing its bits and pieces and stripping the lacquer off the forks to make her look really bright. So right now it is the world's most elegant and expensive paper weight/door stop.

HELP! How can it be so complicated?

Pics show the relay in place and the other shows the redundant mpc for the alarm with the lower bridge wire - black - at bottom.

Hopefully the solution will be glaringly obvious to the initiated, otherwise I'll just call Dignitas in Switzerland!

Arrgghhh.

Thanks in advance.

20190723_124524.jpg20190711_154223.jpg20190711_154223.jpg

I'm posting a reply mainly to let you know that your post has been seen, but I regret that I can't help at all.
Interesting story how you got it this far. I've never had an issue with sidestand electrics so have no knowledge about them.
Good luck. I hope you get it sorted.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom