Local time
Today, 09:00
Jan 5, 2006
Port Elizabeth
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
For the price and what I want it for it does look neat.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 04:00
Jan 28, 2006
Halifax
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
I've toyed with the idea of such a camera, but have never made the move.

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 45 Years
Administrator
Local time
Jan 5, 2006
Port Elizabeth
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Well I just ordered it now. The only issue was I could not also order the extra batteries from Amazon. So I had to order them from another site and their shipping time is 37 to 57 days :eek:

However I will still have the battery that comes with the camera so I will be able to play around with that for now. The main purpose will be to use it as a dash cam in the car. We have a huge issue with our taxi drivers this side and they just disregard most of the road laws. So unless you have video of an them you basically have no way of resolving it with the traffic cops.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZmyuI9CbRo

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Jan 28, 2006
Halifax
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
Dash cams are very popular over here.
I'm retired and don't need to go out into heavy commuter traffic so I haven't bothered with one.
Traffic here is fairly civil during non rush hour traffic.

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 60 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 03:00
Jan 5, 2006
Altamonte Springs, Florida
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I have a dash cam built in to my GPS in my truck. They are very handy in case of an inciddnt. I have a GoPro on my Tiger.

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 45 Years
Administrator
Local time
Jan 5, 2006
Port Elizabeth
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Well my cam arrived and coming from the USA I was really surprised at how fast it got here. I also never had to pay any Taxes on it and that made it so much cheaper than what I could have got the same one this side for. It also had an extra battery and charging bay something they were not offering this side in a the purchase.

So anyway I just took it for a test drive now so here is the unedited short video of my drive around my area.

Well I did try uploading a video but with t5hings as they are my side a !.5MB video has now been uploading to YouTube for the last 30 minutes and it is only on 10% :eek:

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Jan 28, 2006
Halifax
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
Very decent quality I would say. Looks like a good one TUP
Those walled properties are interesting BGRIN

And, oh yes, you're driving on the wrong side of the road ROTFL

Reactions: hemibee

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 60 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 03:00
Jan 5, 2006
Altamonte Springs, Florida
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
The video is sharp and clear. Looks like a really good camera. And, yes, you are driving on the wrong side of the road. BGRIN

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 2 Years
Local time
Today, 00:00
May 4, 2016
Northern California
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
So, you have "traffic calming" bumps, too. What is that buzzing? Looks like a mirror-image of a central California town. Then you hear the voices on the radio... I'm reminded of a lovely young SA lady that gave me a couple of glider lessons in Nevada one summer. Her father was a serious, competing glider pilot in SA, and she was working towards her Commercial Pilot's license.

Oh, I see a star for the Texaco Oil company, but it had a different name on the signage, CalTex! That makes sense, since it is a merged company between Standard Oil and Texaco.

Last edited:

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 2 Years
Local time
May 4, 2016
Northern California
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
How seriously does South Africa enforce vehicle emission standards? That one white pickup with a camper shell looked like the tailgate was pretty dirty around the exhaust pipe.

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 45 Years
Administrator
Local time
Jan 5, 2006
Port Elizabeth
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Very decent quality I would say. Looks like a good one TUP
Those walled properties are interesting BGRIN

And, oh yes, you're driving on the wrong side of the road ROTFL
Rocky most of our homes are like this to add a bit of security but it does not really do much but makes us feel better. In some area you also have these high walls and electric fencing. You might notice towards the end of this video as I stop at the last stop sign the facebrick walled house on the corner has the electric fencing installed. I rather went for CCTV and outside security beams.

So, you have "traffic calming" bumps, too. What is that buzzing? Looks like a mirror-image of a central California town. Then you hear the voices on the radio... I'm reminded of a lovely young SA lady that gave me a couple of glider lessons in Nevada one summer. Her father was a serious, competing glider pilot in SA, and she was working towards her Commercial Pilot's license.

Oh, I see a star for the Texaco Oil company, but it had a different name on the signage, CalTex! That makes sense, since it is a merged company between Standard Oil and Texaco.
Those speed bumps are not clearly marked so if your driving at night and don't know they there even at the speed limit you can do serious damage to the car.

I remember as a child we still had the Texaco oil company with outlets here, then as you say it merged and became Caltex.

How seriously does South Africa enforce vehicle emission standards? That one white pickup with a camper shell looked like the tailgate was pretty dirty around the exhaust pipe.
The vehicle law enforcement is basically nonexistent this side and you see very few traffic cops and loads of people breaking the laws of the road. This was the main reason I wanted a dashcam so if anything does happen I have hard evidence of the event. You see vehicles riding around and you wonde how they actually managed to get it going and how it manages to not just fall apart right there. I saw a large excavator riding around with it one from wheel missing the one time.

LOL I thought one of the first things that would be noticed is that you all riding on the wrong side of the road and we right or is that left BGRIN

The one thing that struck me when I watched the video was the concept of speed. When I watch bike videos online it always seem that the rider is riding at a high rate of speed. This is what I also thought when I watched my video but I know I was doing the allocated speed limits at all times.

Last edited:

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 2 Years
Local time
May 4, 2016
Northern California
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
In some area you also have these high walls and electric fencing. You might notice towards the end of this video as I stop at the last stop sign the facebrick walled house on the corner has the electric fencing installed.
That's what the buzzing was! At the beginning and end of the video there was radio interference from the electrical fences. Judging from the speed of the pulses I guessed your electricity is provided at a frequency of 50 Hz. Googled SA's electricity, and learned it is 230 Volts at 50 Hz.

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 45 Years
Administrator
Local time
Jan 5, 2006
Port Elizabeth
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
That's what the buzzing was! At the beginning and end of the video there was radio interference from the electrical fences. Judging from the speed of the pulses I guessed your electricity is provided at a frequency of 50 Hz. Googled SA's electricity, and learned it is 230 Volts at 50 Hz.
I think that must have been my phone as it has an apps that you control the cam from. So at the start and end of a video I have the phone very close to the camera.

I did a test with the Gyro setting off in this video. What do you guys think in comparison to the other video?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElIvc80C07w&feature=youtu.be

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Jan 28, 2006
Halifax
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
Video unavailable it says.

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 45 Years
Administrator
Local time
Jan 5, 2006
Port Elizabeth
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
@CarlS and @Rocky :eek: Try now :D

YouTube has changed so since I last really used it for anything else but just watching videos.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Jan 28, 2006
Halifax
First Name
Rocky
My Ride