Today, 09:53
First Name
AJ Turner
My Ride
1996 Triumph Trophy 1200
Name: Bob Carter

Telephone: 971-998-3530 (USA)

Email: aprivatepeace@yahoo.com

Excellent workmanship and restoration to like-new condition in every way plus he's way cheaper than anyone else.

Presently $200.00 for BOTH gauges plus shipping.

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 45 Years
Administrator
Local time
Today, 16:53
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
That is not a bad price at all as I can just think what type of work must go into doing this type of work

The Seeker

Thunderbird
Local time
First Name
AJ Turner
My Ride
1996 Triumph Trophy 1200
From what people have said, it's cheaper to have BOTH gauges done than it is to have one.......$129.00 for one / $200.00 for two

But I would check with him to get CURRENT price and shipping will vary of course.

The Seeker

Thunderbird
Local time
First Name
AJ Turner
My Ride
1996 Triumph Trophy 1200
Most every gauge re-builder wants $200 for each gauge though.

Here is a testimonial of his workmanship:

I recently had the speedometer (the odometer portion) on my 1968 Triumph start counting the 10,000 miles number randomly and decided to send it off to be rebuilt. I checked around and found a few places that did the work but all wanted over $200. So I started to look on eBay to see what a new instrument would go for and came across another guy named Bob Carter up in Oregon who was rebuilding them for $129 plus $10 shipping. I emailed him and followed up with a call once I got his number and decided to give him a try. I got the instrument back today and he did an outstanding job on it. The internal parts of these gauges were removed, completely renovated and calibrated to meet the specifications of newly re-manufactured ones. In addition the cans (cases) were professionally powder coated to Concours quality standards. Then the insides of the cans were painted with white epoxy paint followed by the blue, light enhancing paint that was sprayed on the one section of the inside the exact same way and in exactly the same shade as Smiths did it when they were built. This gives a softer shine to the light rather than just harsh white light. The center aluminum buttons were polished and the correct shade of fluorescent red was added to the needles. Then new bezels, glass, upper and lower rubber glass sealing seals, new stainless steel chassis screws (will never rust or tarnish), the internal and external shock absorbing rubber biscuit mounts and the stainless steel nuts and washers for the mounting bracket were added. He also added an original 'TRIP SHAFT' warning decal. This does not appear to be the cheap decal being currently sold on Ebay and elsewhere that are simply replacements with lettering that smears and rubs off the first time you wipe down your gauges with a cloth. I will probably remove it anyway.

grandpaul

Old Bike Lover
Riding for 50 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 08:53
My Ride
Legend 900 Triple
Sounds like a great resource. Definitely the best price i've seen.

I have always used Joel Levine in Atlanta.

kbalch

Local time
Here is a shop in NY that some riders I know have used.

http://nisonger.com/instrument-rebuilding.htm
I had Nisonger restore the gauges for my '69 Bonnie. They came back absolutely as-new, calibrated on original Smith's equipment, and boasting a one year warranty. Price was $190 each. For me, the peace of mind in having the work done by a known, high-quality shop vs. a one-man operation more than makes up for the additional cost. That ~$200 is utterly insignificant compared to the cost of the project and the value of the finished machine.

Ken

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 45 Years
Administrator
Local time
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Wow Ken looks like you got new ones back, outstanding work done on them

kashif

Local time
Today, 18:53
First Name
kashif raza
My Ride
T21 bathtub
i m rebuilding speedo and ammeter here in pakistan guy is taking 4000 rupees for it 1 us dollar=100 Rs. ll share before after once i get them

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 10:53
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
When I bought my 1970 T100 the speedo didn't work. Walridge Motors in Ontario, Canada, is one of my favourite parts suppliers and the owner had a connection with a former Smiths technician (now living in Ontario) and who was still doing repair work. Walridge contracted him to do repairs for them and that's where I sent my speedo in 1995.
When I got it back the only original parts were the glass (which still has the factory decal) and the cup that holds the parts. The mileage was set to what was shown when it stopped working. The price then was $120.00.

otherwise

Local time
Tomorrow, 01:53
My Ride
Triumph
Once involved in the classic bike scene it isn't too hard to find good people to remake instruments. In my part of the world most of us used a certain bloke, he retired, sure enough another was recommended and I've also used him and he's very good. I'd never send an instrument overseas because we have good local people but if we didn't, airfreight to another part of the world isn't a big deal these days.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
Once involved in the classic bike scene it isn't too hard to find good people to remake instruments. In my part of the world most of us used a certain bloke, he retired, sure enough another was recommended and I've also used him and he's very good. I'd never send an instrument overseas because we have good local people but if we didn't, airfreight to another part of the world isn't a big deal these days.
As a matter of fact, the former owner of my BSA VR sent the speedo to a repairman in Australia sometime around the late 90's and he did a good job on it. The instrument looks like new and works great.
I don't know why he chose that particular person, but I'm happy he did as it was something I didn't have to get repaired.

grandpaul

Old Bike Lover
Riding for 50 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 08:53
My Ride
Legend 900 Triple
I personally visited Joel's shop in Atlanta, and his setup is amazing. He has a lathe where he can make new parts, the lathe is no bigger than a small sewing machine. He can reproduce in exact detail each and every part of any number of brands of meters. If you can tell the difference between a brand new original and one of Joel's rebuilds, you need to be a concourse bike show judge.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
I personally visited Joel's shop in Atlanta, and his setup is amazing. He has a lathe where he can make new parts, the lathe is no bigger than a small sewing machine. He can reproduce in exact detail each and every part of any number of brands of meters. If you can tell the difference between a brand new original and one of Joel's rebuilds, you need to be a concourse bike show judge.
I admire people with skills like that TUP

kbalch

Local time
Wow Ken looks like you got new ones back, outstanding work done on them
Yeah, I was pretty tickled at how well they came out. Can't wait to get them on the bike and working! Shouldn't be long now... :)

Ken

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 45 Years
Administrator
Local time
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Well let's us know how that goes then would you

T120R

Local time
Today, 14:53
My Ride
Triumph
Glad that someone has had a positive experience but here is mine

Sent two original Smiths gauges and 212 $ to Bob Carter of Portland Oregon (aprivatepeace@yahoo.com) over a year ago. My gauges are gone along with my cash. He claims they were restored/returned but refuses to provide proof of shipping. I estimate my total loss at over 700 dollars but more importantly, they were the originals off my Uncles’ 1965 Bonneville.

The Seeker

Thunderbird
Local time
First Name
AJ Turner
My Ride
1996 Triumph Trophy 1200
Glad that someone has had a positive experience but here is mine

Sent two original Smiths gauges and 212 $ to Bob Carter of Portland Oregon (aprivatepeace@yahoo.com) over a year ago. My gauges are gone along with my cash. He claims they were restored/returned but refuses to provide proof of shipping. I estimate my total loss at over 700 dollars but more importantly, they were the originals off my Uncles’ 1965 Bonneville.
He's probably restored them and is selling them on eBay!

There are none lower than thieves!!

Posted with TapaTalk

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 45 Years
Administrator
Local time
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Well that sucks seeing that the bike had such personal value to you

T120R

Local time
Today, 14:53
My Ride
Triumph
prehaps and certainly a possibility

His resistance and failure to providing proof of shipping is the most compelling reason for others to consider before using the his service. For guys that have ultra rare bikes and parts......this type of incompotence or criminal activity can indefinatley stall a project.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Top Bottom