Staff
Local time
Today, 04:02
First Name
Carl
My Ride
2020 Bonneville T120 Black
Riding Since
Today the temperature was 79F / 26C when I snapped this pic. This is the typical bike gear for cruisers, sport bikes, scooters, and touring bikes. I sure the temp was quite warm for this rider. He was from Quebec, Canada.

20240126_121418.jpg

20240126_121500.jpg

He turned and too the I 95 on ramp toward Miami.

That would be a fairly hot day here, but I couldn't ride in a tee shirt and no helmet. I have a mesh jacket with all the usual armor.
But if it's even too hot for that (not that often here), I don't bother to ride.
Good luck to that fellow. I hope he made it home OK.
The thought of all that skin being grated on the pavement makes me shudder.

The majority of the riders here ride like that when riding locally. That definitely does not include me.

I never wear shorts or go without a helmet but I do ride in a T shirt and vest when it’s warm.

I did an Iron Butt qualifier ride in June 2012 with temps peaking at 117 degrees. I wore a helmet, mesh jacket, jeans and boots. Almost had heat stroke (got very dizzy) near Limon Colorado so had to get off and get hydrated and cool off. Finished the ride still wearing all that gear (it helped a lot soaking a terry towel at stops and wearing it like a dripping wet bib under my jacket, kept me cool for hours).

During our summer month it is not unusual to have averages of 35 degree Celsius = 95 degree Fahrenheit. You will still find me riding with all my gear, gloves, leather jacket, jeans, boots and full face helmet but it is time to start looking at those new mess jackets that I have heard so much about.

I am just a baby and don't like road rash one bit :LOL:

Well he can't do that in Quebec so guess he has to get it out of his system. Health care payments must be steep for him.

Well he can't do that in Quebec so guess he has to get it out of his system. Health care payments must be steep for him.
The locals ride like that; but not usually on the Interstate freeways. The mobile home community in which I live is about 40% Quebec folks. The lots in this community are owned which means these folks own their lots and mobile homes. This whole area sees a big influx of Canadians every winter.

When you said "healthcare payments must be steep for him" how so? Are healthcare payments based on protective gear in Quebec?

He would have to carry a independent health insurance care plan(Blue Cross, etc) for when he's residing in your area, unless he's filthy rich.
As he's not wearing much to protect himself, they should base his payments on his GAF factor, is kind of what I was referring to.
His healthcare payments in his home are not based on the amount of protective gear he has on, although he would be required to have a helmet on at least.

BTW, love the very first pic. The sign in the background may be of use to him and others that are less proactive in their own safety.

He would have to carry a independent health insurance care plan(Blue Cross, etc) for when he's residing in your area, unless he's filthy rich.
As he's not wearing much to protect himself, they should base his payments on his GAF factor, is kind of what I was referring to.
His healthcare payments in his home are not based on the amount of protective gear he has on, although he would be required to have a helmet on at least.
Thanks for the reply.An independent plan here in Florida would be based on the county he is in, his age and other health factors based on what the application asked. He may or may not have to take a physical. The questions don't include motorcycle riding and/or protective gear. His lack of using protective gear would not affect the cost of his coverage.

BTW, love the very first pic. The sign in the background may be of use to him and others that are less proactive in their own safety.
ROTFL TUP

Helmets are not required in Maine, either. Have visited that beautiful state quite a few times as it's only about an hour away from me. I still wear my gear there. Lots of others choose not to.
Was camping with the family down there once, so driving my truck and trailer, and had a guy on a sport bike behind me doing wheelies, dressed in full leathers, sans helmet. Makes sense to me. NOT!

The much wiser choice is ATGATT. I do not go that route. It's a bit hard to wear a cut ( club vest) over gear. It gets over 100 here often during the summer, I'd rather take a chance then burn up. To me it comes down to choosing ones level of risk. Low risk is sitting on your couch and never venturing out, higher risk is riding a motorcycle. 54 years of riding and touched the pavement once back in 1974. I'll play the odds.

I did an Iron Butt qualifier ride in June 2012 with temps peaking at 117 degrees. I wore a helmet, mesh jacket, jeans and boots. Almost had heat stroke (got very dizzy) near Limon Colorado so had to get off and get hydrated and cool off. Finished the ride still wearing all that gear (it helped a lot soaking a terry towel at stops and wearing it like a dripping wet bib under my jacket, kept me cool for hours).
Been there done that. I live in Texas. 117 is the hottest I have done an IBA ride in. The coldest was 17.

I wear all the gear all the time. When it is hot and dry I manage sweat with opening or closing vents. When it is hot and humid like Florida (sweat goes nowhere) even with all the vents open I am still very uncomfortable. Ice inside the jacket helps some and frequent stops.

Hydration, I have used a Camel Pak filled with ice and water. I have also used a 1 gallon Wal Mart therm with a "suck hose" attached filled with ice and water. Once it is full of ice I fill the remaining space with ice water. I blow the water back into the container after each gulp so no hot water in the tube. Depending on the conditions I'll take 3 gulps every 20 minutes to every 10 minutes

BTW, Not long ago my modular helmet saved my face and brain. The rest of my gear enabled me to walk away with only bruises and soreness. Totaled the motorcycle. My pride is another issue. LOL

Been there done that. I live in Texas. 117 is the hottest I have done an IBA ride in. The coldest was 17.

I wear all the gear all the time. When it is hot and dry I manage sweat with opening or closing vents. When it is hot and humid like Florida (sweat goes nowhere) even with all the vents open I am still very uncomfortable. Ice inside the jacket helps some and frequent stops.

Hydration, I have used a Camel Pak filled with ice and water. I have also used a 1 gallon Wal Mart therm with a "suck hose" attached filled with ice and water. Once it is full of ice I fill the remaining space with ice water. I blow the water back into the container after each gulp so no hot water in the tube. Depending on the conditions I'll take 3 gulps every 20 minutes to every 10 minutes

BTW, Not long ago my modular helmet saved my face and brain. The rest of my gear enabled me to walk away with only bruises and soreness. Totaled the motorcycle. My pride is another issue. LOL
I ride on Florida in the summer and I relate completely! I can also relate to your crash. I didn't walk away from mine; but looking at my helmet, I can say it saved me from serious if not fatal injury. The rest of the gear probably helped too. I never saw my jacket. The EMT's cut it off of me.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom