N0cash

Local time
Today, 03:45
First Name
David
My Ride
2019 Triumph Speed Twin
Hey Folks,
My newish 2019 Speed Twin just got served notice that it needs to get its tailpipe to the dealer to get the correct threadlock applied to its ball joints before the linkage falls off and all hell breaks loose.
My issue is I live 240 miles away from a dealer. That works out to $150.00 for a longazz day trip or $250.00 if overnight stay for what Triumph described as a 30 min fix. I'm hoping the brain trust here might have insight on the problem and could post a diagram of the parts needing attention and the name and strength of the correct threadlock. Any info on disassembly/assembly and torque settings would be immensely appreciated.
Thanks in advance
David from Northern California Coast

Hey Folks,
My newish 2019 Speed Twin just got served notice that it needs to get its tailpipe to the dealer to get the correct threadlock applied to its ball joints before the linkage falls off and all hell breaks loose.
My issue is I live 240 miles away from a dealer. That works out to $150.00 for a longazz day trip or $250.00 if overnight stay for what Triumph described as a 30 min fix. I'm hoping the brain trust here might have insight on the problem and could post a diagram of the parts needing attention and the name and strength of the correct threadlock. Any info on disassembly/assembly and torque settings would be immensely appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Nothing?!

I'm quite sure this has never come up before which is why there have been no offers of advice.
I know nothing about the problem, but I think I'm quite safe in saying that you would not be able to get factory threadlock.
If it's just a matter of applying some threadlock to nuts and bolts, and you can do it yourself, then I think you could find what you need at the auto parts store.
Good luck.

David, do you know which type of threadlock is supposed to be used? There are different types of threadlocks.

I'm quite sure this has never come up before which is why there have been no offers of advice.
I know nothing about the problem, but I think I'm quite safe in saying that you would not be able to get factory threadlock.
If it's just a matter of applying some threadlock to nuts and bolts, and you can do it yourself, then I think you could find what you need at the auto parts store.
Good luck.
Thanks Rocky. Doing it myself is my aim. I'm quite sure Loctite makes the correct threadlock for this job. I just want to apply the proper strength formula to the correct thread joints. I don't know for sure which joints are failing or if torque settings are a factor.

Loctite is what I had in mind and it works well. Which one is the question and how hard you want them locked in place.
I can't offer any advice as I have no vision of what the parts look like or how many parts are involved.
If push comes to shove, do all of them and tight is tight enough. Don't snap them off. If the torque isn't perfect the threadlock will do the job anyway.
Not ideal, but...……..

David, do you know which type of threadlock is supposed to be used? There are different types of threadlocks.
Thanks CarlS. Yes i'm aware of the different threadlocker strengths. Applying the correct formula seems critical to this operation. I could just go ahead and apply the high strength to the all the threaded joints that look suspect, which is most likely the factory fix anyway. I'm just unsure about which threaded joints and which formula strength. Torque settings and correct adjustment of the linkage are also somewhat of a concern, but I can wing it there if need be. Thanks again for your response.

Loctite is what I had in mind and it works well. Which one is the question and how hard you want them locked in place.
I can't offer any advice as I have no vision of what the parts look like or how many parts are involved.
If push comes to shove, do all of them and tight is tight enough. Don't snap them off. If the torque isn't perfect the threadlock will do the job anyway.
Not ideal, but...……..
Thanks Rock. I absolutely will do exactly that if I can't get a better idea. Very often I get mired in overthinking a problem. Thanks for that.

Hey Folks,
Thanks in advance

You could call the dealer and ask what thread lock they use and the torque settings, but in all likelihood they will not release that information because of the liability issues, that is unless you and the service manager are besty’s.
Alternative is just wait till it’s riding season for the other 80% of the country and someone has it done at a dealer, asks the right questions and posts the information.

You could call the dealer and ask what thread lock they use and the torque settings, but in all likelihood they will not release that information because of the liability issues, that is unless you and the service manager are besty’s.
Alternative is just wait till it’s riding season for the other 80% of the country and someone has it done at a dealer, asks the right questions and posts the information.
Thank you Nortony. I'm willing to wait for the cure. But I will be watching my linkage and shifting ever so gently.

Try the Facebook Triumph speed twin group .... loads of info about gear linkages falling apart ...... Ps mine is still ok .. and had the recall..... deciding wether to go or not

Now that I think of I think of it , I tightened mine up a year or two ago . Still haven’t got my remap done and something else , can’t remember what .

Thanks CarlS. Yes i'm aware of the different threadlocker strengths. Applying the correct formula seems critical to this operation. I could just go ahead and apply the high strength to the all the threaded joints that look suspect, which is most likely the factory fix anyway. I'm just unsure about which threaded joints and which formula strength. Torque settings and correct adjustment of the linkage are also somewhat of a concern, but I can wing it there if need be. Thanks again for your response.
Since I do not know what your linkages look like nor the locations, take my recommendation with a grain of salt. I would not start out with the high strength thread locker. This one requires heat to loosen it. I would tighten the linkages down as Rocky recommended above.

Try the Facebook Triumph speed twin group .... loads of info about gear linkages falling apart ...... Ps mine is still ok .. and had the recall..... deciding wether to go or not
Bingo! Thanks fenbe. I forgot all about the Facebook Triumph speed twin group. I typed in recall in the search window and there were a couple of useful photos and tips on tools to use and suggestion to use loctite 243 (medium). Not Official from the factory but still very useful interim advice for keeping it under control and on the road. I'll be keeping an eye on that site for further info.
Thank you again for the facebook tip.
--Dave

Last edited:
Hi
Just a thought have you had a word with the service guys where you take the bike and ask the question if it just the Gear Change linkages or Bracket mounting bolts which work loose or another issue such as faulty component?

2 year ressurrection but still useful. Mine is '19 currently in the shop for brakes so I'm going to mention this. I bought it new in late '20. Was leftover intentory and the dealer had recently lost their Triumph franchise rights, with prejudice. As I ultimately learned the place was a real shady outfit. They may or may not have addressed the issue on the bike while it sat there.

Since I do not know what your linkages look like nor the locations, take my recommendation with a grain of salt. I would not start out with the high strength thread locker. This one requires heat to loosen it. I would tighten the linkages down as Rocky recommended above.
Hi
Loctite Stud Lock should be OK Just a note if you Clean all the parts with a a de greaser then Loctite applied you will probably need to use heat to break the parts free but if you just apply without cleaning the adhesion will not be so hard to break apart if and when you need to.
I used to run Production Cam Auto and just a drop on a grub screw holding threading taps would save $$$$$$$ of scrap parts or broken tooling.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom