Stalls Hesitates

Ed_Cz

Local time
Today, 00:05
First Name
Ed_Cz
My Ride
Schwinn
2014 Bonneville, hesitates coming off idle (when opening throttle), sometimes stalls with clutch full in when the throttle is open (normal launch). I've had it to the dealer numerous times. They say they can't reproduce the problem. Second summer like this. Anyone else seeing this? I simply don't trust this bike in traffic anymore. It did this new and still does it after TOR exhaust and ECU update. Thanks

2014 Bonneville, hesitates coming off idle (when opening throttle), sometimes stalls with clutch full in when the throttle is open (normal launch). I've had it to the dealer numerous times. They say they can't reproduce the problem. Second summer like this. Anyone else seeing this? I simply don't trust this bike in traffic anymore. It did this new and still does it after TOR exhaust and ECU update. Thanks
*********************************************************************************
Hi, Ed --

Sorry you're having trouble with your Bonnie. I'm watching this thread closely because I have a 2013 myself. Just curious, how many miles do you have on yours? (So I can know when to expect mine to start acting up!)

Total shot in the dark here, but take a look at this write-up about the ignition control unit and see if it might apply to you as well.

Also, here's a thread from Triumph Rat that sounds a lot like your bike.

It's an interesting problem. Hmm, well, it's 'interesting' when it's someone else's bike, not so 'interesting' when you're the owner.

Both of these articles are above my newbie tech experience level, but maybe you can relate it to your bike.

However, I'm really good at offering moral support. :y45: Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Unfortunately a lot of these ohm test will lead you astray when the part test good at one time then fails later, by then you have already moved on to testing other parts that are good, remember to go back to the first and second ect. part to test again. I use to trace for shorts on automobiles, i would tell my customers it only took 5 min. to fix the problem but it may take all day to find it.

Hi Sarah - Thanks for the feedback. The links you reference are for carburated models but were interesting reading. Since there doesn't seem to be other owners having my problems I must have got a lemon. Probably an intermittent wire of sensor signal. As Dave said, these problems can be a bear to find and take seconds to fix. Thanks for the moral support!!

Shoot, Ed, I missed that about carb vs. non-carbed. Any luck yet with your bike?

Had (or could still be having) a problem very much as described on my 2015 Bonneville (which I bought as new old stock and is still on warranty). After going to two dealers with the complaint (stalling with the clutch pulled, some hesitation on starts) and getting all sorts of bad advice, I think I finally got an answer. As I was told, the bike would not reset idle because it was set too high. Since they had told me to set it higher on a previous visit I was skeptical (but kept my cool which was difficult). So once they had heard all of the low idle, bad gas "remedies" I have been offered the dealer got serious. Turns out they had to remap the bike, completely dump the old corrupted program and reprogram. Since this happened in December in the Chicago area, I have not had a chance to see if the results are as I expect. The mechanic has test ridden it but I won't know for a month of so if this actually worked. Like Ed, I could not trust the bike and that took the fun out of it and reduced my safety.

Sometimes my '12 T100 will pull the hesitation on take-off "parlor trick" and my cure is to give it more revs to get going. Sure, I do sort of sound like a raw beginner learning how to use the clutch, but having almost dropped it a couple of times due to the low speed "hiccup", I'll live with the shame. Besides, dropping the bike at low speed would REALLY make me look like a neophyte!!
Just the considered opinion of the "village idiot": Jim

I'll throw my uneducated 2 cents in again.

On a 40*F day last week (4*C), I pulled my 2017 Street Twin out of the garage to just fire it up and get some gas flowing through the carburetor.

Not only was it hard to start, it took about 6 different attempts before it wouldn't flame out on me.

Yesterday it was upper 60's (about 20*C), so I pulled the bike out again. It started right up with no hesitation or stalling, and no revving needed.

Let's see: cold weather = hard to start. Warm weather = easy to start. Damn, that sounds like a carbureted bike, not an EFI.

I'll take it to the dealer next winter if it happens again. And I'm sure it will. Makes me want to sell it and get a Honda. Even my carbureted 2006 Honda VTX 1300 starts up on an icy day with fewer problems than this 2017 Twin. :mad:

Oh dear :y19: you said Honda :y36: WINK WINK

I figured 'Honda' was less of a sin than saying Kawasaki or...gasp...HARLEY!!!!
BGRIN good move as that would have been coronary time for me to read such foul language ROTFL

I thought I read on the"other" forum about a ECU reflash to help/cure the cold start issues.
On night shift this week and too lazy to try and hunt it down.

Oh my! You said the other "H" word @SarahP .:shocking:BGRIN

Last edited:
Qship, yes, guys are having the ECU remapped but not finding it much help, I don't think. Very disappointing to hear.

Hi Ed! Nick here. I have a 2014 Bonny as well, and was TOTALLY experiencing the exact same thing. I added a fuel injector cleaner to one tank of gas, and then rode it empty, and then just for shits and giggles, added the fuel SYSTEM cleaner to the gas tank and did it again. A TINY bit of help... but what REALLY seemed to do the trick, for me at least, was simply tightening the throttle cables.

Might have been all of those things working together, but I definitely noticed a good difference when I tightened those cables. : )

All the pros that I talked to recommended cleaning the fuel injection system. : ) (just the store-bought additive.)

Hi. I had my knee replaced in 2016, and didn’t give myself time to heal. I wanted to ride. At the time I had a Kawasaki Voyager 1700, big bike. Frustrated with myself, I traded it in and got a new 2016 Triumph America 865; 1/2 the size, half the weight, all the insurance. I feel that this was a huge mistake, the thing stalled after it is warm at nearly every light. Went to the dealer and they upper the revs, so now it backfires and stalls.
Is there an true fix for this problem? I bought the extended warranty, so am good for a while, but if it is unfixable I’m going to junk it.
Anyone, please.

Hi, Pushstick -

Have been off the boards for a while with work, so I'm just now seeing your post about your Triumph America. I can't help you with any specifics, but I just wanted to tell you that I feel your Triumph pain.

I have a 2017 Street Twin - purchased new - that takes 8-10 separate starts on a 60*F/15 *C day before it will quit stalling out on me.

I believe there have been some lengthy discussions on the other major Triumph forum, Triumph Rat, about these cold-start/stalling issues. A quick search of their forum shows right off the top a recall for the Thruxton in 2018 for stalling issues, and a promised ECU reprogramming.

I'm with you, though -- I'm very frustrated with it and almost ready to ditch it if the stalling can't be resolved. Please let us know here if you get some relief/resolution on your issue. We're interested.

Thanks!

Will do.
I have seen things about removing sensors, tightening the trottle cable, a host of things; but no real solution.
It goes to GP Bikes in the spring and who knows.

If Triumph wants to save thereselves they need to step up on this problem soon, things like this will haunt them into big $ loss for a long time!!!!!!!!!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom