Starting and idle troubles

edjd0

Local time
Today, 03:26
First Name
Esteban
My Ride
2014 Triumph Tiger 800xc
I'm having a bit of trouble on my 2014 Tiger 800xc. It starts without any problems when it's cold. However, if I turn it off once the engine is hot, it has a bit of trouble starting again. I have to twist the accelerator a bit and hit the starting button for a few seconds before it fires up. Once it starts, I have to rev it a couple of times in order for it to idle; otherwise it shuts down. The bike will also idle at 1000 rmp although I believe it should idle at 1200 rpm.

We scanned the ECU at the dealership and it threw no codes or errors at all. I had the inyectors cleaned by ultra sound, I changed spark plugs, cleaned air filter and cleaned and calibrated the throttle body. I have to get fuel a couple of times a week, so I'm sure it's not old or bad fuel. Battery also seems to be good as it maintains charge and the bike is generating about 14.3 volts.

Any ideas on what I should look at next? Thanks

I'm having a bit of trouble on my 2014 Tiger 800xc. It starts without any problems when it's cold. However, if I turn it off once the engine is hot, it has a bit of trouble starting again. I have to twist the accelerator a bit and hit the starting button for a few seconds before it fires up. Once it starts, I have to rev it a couple of times in order for it to idle; otherwise it shuts down. The bike will also idle at 1000 rmp although I believe it should idle at 1200 rpm.

We scanned the ECU at the dealership and it threw no codes or errors at all. I had the inyectors cleaned by ultra sound, I changed spark plugs, cleaned air filter and cleaned and calibrated the throttle body. I have to get fuel a couple of times a week, so I'm sure it's not old or bad fuel. Battery also seems to be good as it maintains charge and the bike is generating about 14.3 volts.

Any ideas on what I should look at next? Thanks
You have covered the numbers well.
More than likely its one of two things.q
(1) if your bike has a pressure regulator return valve , then it maybe leaking down all the time, cause it may have a bit of dirt trapped.
(2) the fuel pump , maybe on its way out,
But others may say its an air leak in manifold.

Simple check is use a fuel pressure gauge at a convenient point in the system.
My bikes a Early t955 so I don't know anything specific about your 800 triple. But that was my problem, except pump had hit the end of the line.
Chris

(1) if your bike has a pressure regulator return valve , then it maybe leaking down all the time, cause it may have a bit of dirt trapped.

My bikes a Early t955 so I don't know anything specific about your 800 triple. But that was my problem, except pump had hit the end of the line.
Chris
I also took the opportunity to replace the internal fuel lines and filter.
In my case they came from a Toyota Parts listing. And a 1/5 the price of O.E.M.

Chris
Thanks Chris, I will check the fuel pressure. I hope the fuel pump is OK because I just looked it up and it is definitely not cheap. I will look into the return valve (assuming there is one) and give it a nice clean just in case.

As soon as I figure this out I will post it here for anyone having similar issues.

Thanks Chris, I will check the fuel pressure. I hope the fuel pump is OK because I just looked it up and it is definitely not cheap. I will look into the return valve (assuming there is one) and give it a nice clean just in case.

As soon as I figure this out I will post it here for anyone having similar issues.
Thats the point !
A after market pump in Australian Dollars is $45.OK, from my local Auto Shop, which I frequent and buy everything from.
You need to know the hydraulic circuit of the fuel and the pump pressure.
I was surprised to learn a while back that info on Triumphs is bleak. I checked their web site, its not helpful , I wanted a workshop manual. I refuse to buy a Software PDF, cause I like to look at it in real life and go back and Fourth, to be sure.!
Th3y dônt seem to supply older model parts.
I Consider th3 New Triumph Company, nothing like th3 60's Triumph company , where everything was àvailable.
Now world wide there is a Bean Counter and Max the Profit Mentality. Loyalty iß in My Head.
Luckily, Triumph has Loyalty in its Design and Manufacturing Staff, otherwise there would not be suçh wonderful products, with a good following.
Said enough.
For the same

My 2012 Tiger 800XC was exhibiting those symptoms and a new battery solved the problem. My charging system was fine; but the battery was not not enough of a charge.

My 2011 , and others from what I understand acted similarly. It was thought to be a stepper motor issue and was quite common . As time passed it cured itself . Maybe some one more knowledgeable than I. Outdoor elaborate

My 2011 , and others from what I understand acted similarly. It was thought to be a stepper motor issue and was quite common . As time passed it cured itself . Maybe some one more knowledgeable than I. Outdoor elaborate
Must have been Marching out of Step!!!!

Think it was AWOL .

What happens a lot of the. time is once the problem gets solved. People just go away, cause life is so busy.
So when you get time and problem solved, return to site and tell us how it was solved. Not just it was solved and point us in the right direction.
Plus if you have some useful knowledge to pass on it's all useful. Evenif its just a site which is useful.
As an example , I hear about software for BDB 2 software but àlways skeptical, so not trusting
Chris

Excellent point Chris , also important to thank those sending info in hopes of finding a solution even if not the exact cure . Lots of ideas dealing in the general area of the problem often lead to a light turned on that shines on the solution.

Excellent point Chris , also important to thank those sending info in hopes of finding a solution even if not the exact cure . Lots of ideas dealing in the general area of the problem often lead to a light turned on that shines on the solution.
I see Brooke you lead me on the Honours list...but its not a competition... So won't pass U.....ha....ha...!
I've just been filling in, while getting round to fixing my Daytona.
My only ambition is probable Route 66 in USA.
Once appon a time it was to compete at Daytona...
But all things get a Reality check..sometime.
Chris

What happens a lot of the. time is once the problem gets solved. People just go away, cause life is so busy.
So when you get time and problem solved, return to site and tell us how it was solved. Not just it was solved and point us in the right direction.
Plus if you have some useful knowledge to pass on it's all useful. Evenif its just a site which is useful.
As an example , I hear about software for BDB 2 software but àlways skeptical, so not trusting
Chris
Hi Chris, I will be sure to let you guys know how the whole thing goes, whether solved or not. Unfortunately I haven't had the time or money to take the bike to have fuel pressure, fuel pump, battery, etc checked. I did mention everything you guys suggested to a mechanic friend and he agrees with the fuel pressure theory. I live in a tropical country with some of the worst fuel quality in the area and we suspect water may have gotten into the fuel system, damaging the fuel pump. If that is the case, I hope I can find an aftermarket option.

I sincerely appreciate all the information. I didn't actually expect so many answers so quick. This is actually the only internet forum I've ever participated in and I wish I had discovered it before; I've been learning a lot.

Hi Chris, I will be sure to let you guys know how the whole thing goes, whether solved or not. Unfortunately I haven't had the time or money to take the bike to have fuel pressure, fuel pump, battery, etc checked. I did mention everything you guys suggested to a mechanic friend and he agrees with the fuel pressure theory. I live in a tropical country with some of the worst fuel quality in the area and we suspect water may have gotten into the fuel system, damaging the fuel pump. If that is the case, I hope I can find an aftermarket option.

I sincerely appreciate all the information. I didn't actually expect so many answers so quick. This is actually the only internet forum I've ever participated in and I wish I had discovered it before; I've been learning a lot.
On eBay for $64 there are kits available that include a Fuel Pump , a filter and a Plastic inlet filter, Rubber anti vibration Rubber and some connection hose.
If you remove the tank, take out the Pump.
You will be shocked at the Rust.
Clean and paint is the Answer.
However , the pumps are not repairable and cheap enough.
Just take your time and , I have written about this before w.r.t. my Daytona Problem.
So nothikngs new here.

#66..sometimes think there is still a chance for me , or the Lincoln Hiway ( they could intertwine somewhere ). Was on #6 in Pennsylvania once and a local told me it was the first to go coast to coast . A couple of days later traveling from Lincoln Maine to the New Brunswick border ,was on #6 again. Guess he was right. Here on Prince Edward Island ,latitude 46 N ,
locals fill a semi with bikes ,probably all HDs , and head for Daytona . Always wanted to ride all the way from here in March and it could be done , just need one good day to get to New Hampshire.

#66..sometimes think there is still a chance for me , or the Lincoln Hiway ( they could intertwine somewhere ). Was on #6 in Pennsylvania once and a local told me it was the first to go coast to coast . A couple of days later traveling from Lincoln Maine to the New Brunswick border ,was on #6 again. Guess he was right. Here on Prince Edward Island ,latitude 46 N ,
locals fill a semi with bikes ,probably all HDs , and head for Daytona . Always wanted to ride all the way from here in March and it could be done , just need one good day to get to New Hampshire.
I'll have to Map it out and think how you would do it.
In Younger days could ride 700 miles a day.
Now , spend so much time getting out the city....no time.

Thanks Chris . With today’s hiway and equipment 700 miles is very doable but boorrrring so we usually head for the back roads and 700 KM days . From here to Virginia is 2 hectic days of interstate or 3 relaxed days with a lot of mountain back woods scenery

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom