Starting issue

Travislv

Local time
Yesterday, 22:57
First Name
Travis
My Ride
2009 triumph scrambler
I just got my 2009 triumph scrambler a couple of weeks ago. It has 17000 miles and it’s pretty great except a little quirk it has. The bike has a starting issue. I turn on the ignition switch, light turn on, switch on the run switch, Fuel pump engines,(at least that’s what I assume that noise is) then I go to it the start button and I get a click and then nothing. I then go to click it again and nothing. I could do this from anywhere from 1-20 times before my bike actually turns over and when it does it wakes up like nothing was wrong. So I check the battery and and it was 4 years old and it didn’t pass when I got it check so I replaced it. Hoping that would fix my problem I tried again and no change. Then I disassembled my starter switch and found a few webs. I cleaned this out put it back on and same issue. Anyone else run into this problem or know of what I should test next? I do have a multi meter.

Also forgot to mention the when I hit the starter button the light will not dim/turn off until I hit until it randomly starts.

I would check your cables are tight and not loose or dirty on the starter motor and check the main fuses for corrosion , also do not use the run switch to turn bike on and off use the egnition key ..... as the run switch is for emergancies only and will damage the coils and ecu if used constantly !

I would check your cables are tight and not loose or dirty on the starter motor and check the main fuses for corrosion , also do not use the run switch to turn bike on and off use the egnition key ..... as the run switch is for emergancies only and will damage the coils and ecu if used constantly !
Did not know that about the run switch. That’s in some useful information! I’m going to be working on it tomorrow and I’ll keep you posted.

In 9-10 years, several things could have happened. Shanered has given you the most common and easiest to check issues. Down the list could be the rectifier/regulator, because you'd likely notice other issues as well.

yep ! .... keep us posted and let us know how you go TUP

I haven’t had issues since replacing the battery until this morning. That’s why I haven’t updated. I took some time to diagnose the issue and think I have found the problem. After sitting on a trickle charger overnight it read 13.07 V. I removed the positive battery cable add hooked up my voltmeter to amps, completed the circuit and it read zero amps. No parasitic drain. Reconnected the positive wire and tried starting the bike. No response. With The ignition on I jumped the solenoid from positive to negative terminals. Bike started instantly. So I believe it is the starter solenoid and that it needs to replaced.
After the bike was started I checkedy the voltage and the battery red 13.28 V, I’m assuming that good. Is it a possibility that it is the starter relay? If it’s just the starter solenoid any suggestions for a replacement solenoid?

Thanks for the update.

Actually I think it might be the starter relay boy the solenoid.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom