Starting Problem

LarryGouer

Local time
Today, 05:03
First Name
Larry
My Ride
2001 Triumph Thunderbird
I bought new in 2001 a Triumph Thunderbird. It only has 7,000 miles since new. Bike starts easy but sometimes when you shut it off it won't start....it seems like the electrical system is dead...horn won't blow starter won't turn...just dead...If you put the bike in 4-5th gear and rock the bike it usually will start right up again...it seems like it is a starter issue but why is the entire electrical system dead if there is a starter problem. This has happened for two years now the dealer can't seem to find the problem. My dealer is 2.5 hours from me and I have hauled it up there in a trailer when it would not turn over get it out of the trailer and magically it starts right up...so again maybe the shaking in the trailer is enought to make it start...getting very irritated I don't get to ride much (7000 miles in 18 years) and I would really appreciate some insight on this problem.....

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Start with your battery terminals and make sure they are tight. One by one you will need to check every connection in the ignition/starting circuit. Disconnect each one, one at a time. Clean them and apply dielectric grease to each and reconnect. Don't forget the safety switches' connections.

It is time consuming; but may solve your problem.

I agree with CarlS. Check every connection you can get at.
It sounds like a poor connection or possibly a corroded connection(s).
18 years is a long time and "things" happen just sitting around.
I live right on the Atlantic Ocean and salt air corrosion can be a problem if connections aren't clean and solid.
Dielectric grease in clean connections works wonders.

I live right on the Atlantic Ocean and salt air corrosion can be a problem if connections aren't clean and solid.
Thank you

Thank you

I bought new in 2001 a Triumph Thunderbird. It only has 7,000 miles since new. Bike starts easy but sometimes when you shut it off it won't start....it seems like the electrical system is dead...horn won't blow starter won't turn...just dead...If you put the bike in 4-5th gear and rock the bike it usually will start right up again...it seems like it is a starter issue but why is the entire electrical system dead if there is a starter problem. This has happened for two years now the dealer can't seem to find the problem. My dealer is 2.5 hours from me and I have hauled it up there in a trailer when it would not turn over get it out of the trailer and magically it starts right up...so again maybe the shaking in the trailer is enought to make it start...getting very irritated I don't get to ride much (7000 miles in 18 years) and I would really appreciate some insight on this problem.....

Had similar problem with my 2009 America. My battery and everything else checked out good at dealer even though it wouldn't start for them. Dealer couldn't figure it out, but I finally did and how to easily fix. Electrical design flaw. Long story short: The headlight is automatically on and stays on during start process which draws ALOT of juice from battery and the CPU then shuts down starting process because voltage drops below the programed threshold. There is no adjustment. Fix is to install toggle switch on headlight so when you start bike you can have headlight off. My bike is now 100% dependable and starts every time. This includes cold weather as I'm in Ohio and my bike is in an un-heated garage with no electricity to hook up a battery tender.

Last edited:
That is a great fix. TUP

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom