Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 03:38
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
There have been issues with steering head bearings being loose on a few 800's and 800 XC's. The symptoms are a metallic think on rough pavement and/or off road. Most of the folks were able to solve the problem by just tightening the steering head. However, for a few, this did not eliminate the problem.

Triumph issued and information bulletin on this back in February.

A new washer (part number T3551551) has been introduced to the above models from VIN 515213 and is retrofitable. It is fitted between the top yoke and the headstock top nut. At the same time, the method for adjusting the headstock bearing has also changed.

Headstock Bearing Adjustment

The adjustment of the headstock bearings is as described in the service manual noting the following:

1. For models without the new washer fitted only: Discard the headstock top nut after its removal.

2. For models with the new washer fitted only: Retain the headstock top nut. Discard the washer.

So basically if you don't have the washer they want you to replace the entire nut if you need to adjust it. If you have the washer then they want you to replace just the washer.

Whistler

Local time
Today, 08:38
Just had mine replaced under warranty. While in the shop I found out there had been about 7 others that after a year have had to have theres replaced. Seems to be a weak area of the bike but hey I guess there had to be one. After 20,000 miles I am still smiling :y2:

avion

Android Guru
Local time
Today, 10:38
First Name
Gareth / G
My Ride
Tiger 800 2011
I asked Duncan at TTC to look at mine during the 10k service. As I noticed a bit of play under braking.

Apparently they were very loose but only needed adjustment, no damage done.

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Glad you caught it. I am detecting a little looseness in mine at 10,000 miles.

Whistler

Local time
Today, 08:38
I dont understand why the head bearings should be so loose though as it is part of the servicing checks they should do to adjust and tighten these. Makes you wonder if they check all they claim to or am I being naive!! ?

Worse news since though for me, after having the head bearing work done the gear change went horribly clunky two weeks ago. They carried out another warranty job to have a spring and other bobs changed but it left it as bad. On picking the bike up after the gearbox work had been done I was told my clutch plates looked badly burnt. I haven't been pulling wheelies or riding with the clutch slipping, and I do a good deal of my 20k miles commuting to work on a motorway in 6th gear! Looks like others are experiencing early clutch failure though so maybe it is another issue to watch for. Hopefully they will pick it up on warranty. This i sheading for a third week now without a bike!

Having been spoiled by riding this machine for 15 months of pure joy 'despite the weather' I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms!!!!

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I have heard of some clutch failures. But the folks reporting them have generally been doing a lot of off road riding in first gear.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Top Bottom