Rogerr

Riding for 40 Years
Local time
Today, 22:48
First Name
Roger
My Ride
Speedmaster - 05
Have anyone here stiffening the front fork on a Speedmaster by adding a longer spacers above the springs?
I have done it on another bike years ago and it's at least not expensive. Another way would be to increase the oil level.
If anyone has fiddle with those maybe you have some measures I could start with?
It would be very nice if someone had the dimensions of the standard spacers, length and diameter.

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 46 Years
Administrator
Local time
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
I cannot recall seeing anything like this before, why do you need to do this?

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 3 Years
Local time
Today, 13:48
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
Might another alternative be a heavier weight oil?

sikatri

Local time
Today, 15:48
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
I saw something about fork stabilizers recently. Sounds like the same thing. It looked pretty simple conceptually. I was wondering if there was any benefit.

Rogerr

Riding for 40 Years
Local time
First Name
Roger
My Ride
Speedmaster - 05
Might another alternative be a heavier weight oil?
I have thought about oil with higher viscosity too as I find the fork to be a bit soft. But it does not seem to be al that easy to get fork oil with higher viscosity than 10W (std. for Speedmaster and I assume that what's in there now).

Rogerr

Riding for 40 Years
Local time
First Name
Roger
My Ride
Speedmaster - 05
I saw something about fork stabilizers recently. Sounds like the same thing. It looked pretty simple conceptually. I was wondering if there was any benefit.
Isn't that
I cannot recall seeing anything like this before, why do you need to do this?

It's a kind of old tricks, I find it to be a bit soft and would like to try to see how it feels with a less soft setup.

What I'm most interested in right now is the dimensions of the distance piece/pipe. Maybe someone here have installed progressive springs and have the original distance piece laying and can measure it?
I would have liked to find or make a new pair probably solid before I start the "project".

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 3 Years
Local time
Today, 13:48
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
I have thought about oil with higher viscosity too as I find the fork to be a bit soft. But it does not seem to be al that easy to get fork oil with higher viscosity than 10W (std. for Speedmaster and I assume that what's in there now).
Amazon, and probably other sources, has motorcycle fork oil in weights ranging from 5 to 20 (5,7.5,10,15,20).

Gogreen

Riding for 47 Years
Local time
Today, 21:48
First Name
Phil
My Ride
Thunderbird Sport; T140D
Adding spacers is a good way to set your static sag if your forks are not adjustable for pre-load. look up how to set and measure static sag, there's lots of video and stuff out there. I don't recommend adding more oil than specified as it can cause leaks and add a risk lock ups, but changing the viscosity is fine and will increase both compression and rebound damping (if your forks aren't adjustable) and will take a bit of trial and error to get what you need. Thicker is stiffer..

Rogerr

Riding for 40 Years
Local time
First Name
Roger
My Ride
Speedmaster - 05
Adding spacers is a good way to set your static sag if your forks are not adjustable for pre-load. look up how to set and measure static sag, there's lots of video and stuff out there. I don't recommend adding more oil than specified as it can cause leaks and add a risk lock ups, but changing the viscosity is fine and will increase both compression and rebound damping (if your forks aren't adjustable) and will take a bit of trial and error to get what you need. Thicker is stiffer..
I'm aware of this.
If I could get the dimensions of the std. spacers I would try with solid spacers to start with. I count on that the reduced volume will increase the progressiv damping a bit too.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom