Straight Pipes

Kamero

Local time
Yesterday, 18:03
First Name
Kris
My Ride
2013 Thurxton
anyone take there mufflers off and just run there pipes straight .... any problems with it I used to do it all the time with my old triumphs .

Yep, I used to run slash-cuts on my Thruxton-R. Once I removed the cat I went with shorties, otherwise they are way too loud, but with the cat still fitted they were (in my opinion) a vast improvement over the stock huge mufflers, and they looked great too.

I've had the Scorpion and now the Arrow headers that do away with the cat. The Scorpions with stock cans sounded better than stock, but not great. (I crashed and ruined these before adding aftermarket mufflers)
I have SC Project cans now on the Arrow headers and the sound is glorious, deep and moving. I cannot imagine how loud it would be without mufflers!
Removing the cat makes these bikes so much louder. My friend has done this with great results and no regrets. He runs the GP exhaust cans, can't call them mufflers as they don't muffle anything.

anyone take there mufflers off and just run there pipes straight .... any problems with it I used to do it all the time with my old triumphs .
Ok so I put some I'll call them tips cause basically that's all they were it was loud but it ran like :shit: and mapping it was hard cause there's no setting for just straight pipes I took them off and put some mufflers on it that look like shorty slash pipes it has good sound I just have to get it mapped now

I am also just using the short slash pipes and the would very well, low end the quite but when you open up you get that nice deep sound out of them.

Those were different times. I used to run straight pipes on my old CL77 Honda (extremely loud), but wouldn't even think of doing it today. Yes, we as motorcyclists have a huge noise problem. and let's face it, who needs more restrictive legislation? PLEASE tone down the straight pipe crap. It's not impressing anyone, makes less power, and contributes to our negative image.

Those were different times. I used to run straight pipes on my old CL77 Honda (extremely loud), but wouldn't even think of doing it today. Yes, we as motorcyclists have a huge noise problem. and let's face it, who needs more restrictive legislation? PLEASE tone down the straight pipe crap. It's not impressing anyone, makes less power, and contributes to our negative image.
I agree with that.
I like a nice rumble, but straight pipes only attract unwanted attention from the boys in blue and annoys everyone.
That said, the Harley types around here seem to enjoy making as much noise as possible and seen to get away with it - much to nearly everyone's disgust.

I agree with that.
I like a nice rumble, but straight pipes only attract unwanted attention from the boys in blue and annoys everyone.
That said, the Harley types around here seem to enjoy making as much noise as possible and seen to get away with it - much to nearly everyone's disgust.
I, too, have ofter
I agree with that.
I, too, have often wondered why the cops don't do anything. If they used half the zeal with which they enforce speed laws, we'd be much better off. I've found that it's much easier to speed and get away with it on a quiet motorcycle.

There is a guy down the road that i wish would put his back on his 2 stroke mufflers!

There is a guy down the road that i wish would put his back on his 2 stroke mufflers!
What is he, some kind of moron? On a 2-stroke!? That thing must make enough noise to wake the dead.

Its louder than my old school chain saw! I told him the other day "your bike reminds me of Saturday, he said why and i told him NO CLASS.

Reminds me of my neighbor with a Dodge Charger. He put some kind of dipshit exhaust on it (t's a base model with either a 4 or 6 cylinder) . The car sounds like :shit:. But he thinks it's really cool.

Reminds me of my neighbor with a Dodge Charger. He put some kind of dipshit exhaust on it (t's a base model with either a 4 or 6 cylinder) . The car sounds like ::shit::. But he thinks it's really cool.
BGRIN that sometimes happens here. The vehicle doesn't have any kind of performance engine, but the moron puts a pipe of some sort on it to make some noise that sounds like :shit:
We just roll our eyes when we see these types.

The only bike I ever had that I rode and raced on the street with straight pipes was my 1966 Bonneville TT special which came that way from Triumph. It was pretty much a pure race engine that required Sunoco 260 gas. I was a younger lad then and times were different.

Yea, they always retort with "loud pipes save lives" and i say to them, "loud pipes annoy lives!"

I, too, have ofter

I, too, have often wondered why the cops don't do anything. If they used half the zeal with which they enforce speed laws, we'd be much better off. I've found that it's much easier to speed and get away with it on a quiet motorcycle.
In Britain, they are talking about cameras activated by noise meter, so if you've got loud pipes you get fine / points. Seems a bit thought police to me and OTT. I like a fruity exhaust, but keep it reasonable and don't rag it late at night or in residential areas. My pet hate is twats on quads, who belt round the neighbourhood with open pipes

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom