Stuck Motor ???

Catchalot

Local time
Yesterday, 23:39
First Name
Tom
My Ride
Bmw r1100rt
I’m working on getting this 1995 900 thunderbird running again !! Only has 169 original miles. Sat for many years. Waat a PITA to work on!! Just to get the plugs out is an ordeal. Anyway I put fresh oil & removed the plugs, I wanted to turn it over with no compression at first! Just clicks? Lift rear wheel & put in gear & cannot rotate the motor by turning the rear wheel ? I should be able to , correct ! I know the older bikes you can. I don’t know anything about these newer ones. PLEASE HELP. Thanks in advance

Sounds like the pistons are 'stuck' in the cylinders. I use some WD-40 and Marvel Mystery Oil combo. Mix it up 50/50 and dump a bit in each spark plug hole. Let it set for a bit then repeat. To spin the rear wheel and get the engine to turn over, have the bike up on it's centerstand (IF SO EQUIPED...mine wasn't) and the stand blocked so it doesn't collapse. OR, no centerstand, I used 2 X 4's nailed together on one side and a car jack on the other. Put the transmission in 2nd gear and spin the rear tire. Still no turn over in the engine? I've rocked the rear tire back and forth a bit to try and loosen the pistons up. I've even had to resort to a push from my buds, tranny in 2nd gear, clutch pulled in (after the clutch plates are broken loose), get up to 5mph and let the clutch out quickly. Seems to take 3 or 4 tries to get it going. All this is. of course, with the spark plugs removed. Once the engine 'frees' up, plugs back in and try and start it. Be warned, quite a bit of smoke for a bit once the old lady decides to start.

Did just that!! Took off lift & rocked on ground & it broke loose !!!just left cylinder I think? Leaning on kickstand all those years. Crap seems to collect on that side !! Thanks for input

Makes sense that the left side was the 'collection point' of moisture and etc. Glad to hear that it broke loose!! As I'm sure you are aware, once you get the engine warmed up a bit and the oils circulated, an oil change in short order might be a good thing! Thanks for letting us know....

My version of a 'bike lift'.

Attachments

• block for right side.jpg
    block for right side.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 3
  • jack for left side.jpg
    jack for left side.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 3
I would change both the oil and the coolant before I tried to start it. I am thinking I would not want to circulate that nasty old stuff. Who knows what might be in it or it's lubrication abilities.. You also might consider putting some Marvel oil in the cylinders and letting it sit for a week or more before you turn it over. The chemical process to break down all that crud takes some time. Patience is in order here. It took a long time to get to this condition. The situation will not be reversed overnight. ...J.D.

Good advice from JD TUP

Thanks so much! I did all of the above. Put plugs back in , hooked up auxiliary fuel , fully charged battery & tried to start ! Turns over fine but won’t fire up ! Plugs are sparking. Why does the left plug wire java a #1 ring & a “R” ring on the wire ? Not sure what else to try to get started? Like I said I pulled plugs, wet with fuel & each was sparking? Thanks again

120 psi on cylinders 2&3. 70 psi on #1 cylinder

Put marvel mystery in #1 to soak. Hopefully loosens up those rings ? Bike only has 169 miles on it .

JD made a good point. Change coolant and engine oil. You'd said you'd changed the engine oil, and now that you've rotated the engine a bit, that 'new' oil should be thoroughly circulated. It would be interesting to drop some of that oil out and see what's in it! If you've got fuel to the cylinders, and the plugs are 'sparking', even with 70 psi in 1 cylinder, the others should light up. With the plugs being 'wet' I wonder if there's a restriction in the air flow (mice in the air cleaner??) getting to the cylinders? The old adage is air/spark/fuel...somethings gonna happen! Marvel in the number 1 cylinder is a good idea. I've seen that 'stuff' bring things back from the dead! It just takes time!! Keep us posted.

Poeple do not realize the damage sitting idle for years can do. I would be concerned about rust on the cylinder walls possibly breaking a ring or scouring a piston. Also of concern is sticking valves that have sat idle for so long. I would not FORCE it to turn. ...J.D.

Now that it turns and has spark, you may have to dig in to those carburetors. Plugged jets ? Stuck floats ? Leaking boots ? The low compression on one cylinder may or may not improve with some exercise.
Time will tell. ...J.D.

Now that it turns and has spark, you may have to dig in to those carburetors. Plugged jets ? Stuck floats ? Leaking boots ? The low compression on one cylinder may or may not improve with some exercise.
Time will tell. ...J.D.
Thanks, I’m used to the pre 70 triumphs & it’s always the carbs. I’m gonna pull the carbs ! I’ve been soaking them on & off for days in carb cleaner on the bike . It cleared up pretty good. Tried gas today but wouldn’t fire.

Thanks for all the help this forum provides !! I actually got the motor running has good compression on all cylinders. Took of carbs cleaned out jets , bowl , & blew carb cleaner through out. NOW the #2 cylinder doesn’t fire. It’s running on 1&3 ? Took carbs off again cleaned & still no # 2. ?? It has spark, compression, when I squirt carb cleaner in throat it fires . Any suggestions besides cleaning carbs again ?? I’m sure there very clean. Thanks again

I would suspect a leaky boot. If you cannot create a vacuum you cannot pull fuel out of the carburetor, no matter HOW clean it is. That center boot is a bi:;"ch to get to ! Just a thought.
...J.D.

Wire Wheels makes a good point about the intake "boots" They are old- replace them with the ones with the larger inside diameter
Sprint, etc.
Are you sure wire and coil are good? - prove it.
MMO is magic stuff! ATF works, too. You WILL have seepage past rings into your fresh oil change, so once it starts and runs, and the goo inside gets stirred up, change the oil again.
Carbs that sit for long periods of time get dirt/crud in jets, but what gets plugged from sitting is usually the AIR BLEEDS. As old gas evaporates, gunk builds up in air bleeds. Often overlooked in a "carburectomy"
Check/re-set float height!
40+ years of being a licensed mechanic has taught me=
Owners manual from my 1969 Kawasaki 500 had these words= "Before beginning maintenance on your "dynamic partner" one must first have a peaceful mind"
Good advice! meaning, clear your mind, be open to "see" your problem, re-think about your diagnosis. Your problem is likely small and you have "looked" but not "seen".
Zen proverb- "To "see", one must first learn to "look"

I like that ! Thank you

Any idea why my front brakes WILL NOT BLEED !! Pumping fluid just won’t move anything!! Spent hours trying. Thanks

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom