Suspension sag

Kenxe

Local time
Today, 04:42
First Name
Ken
My Ride
Scrambler 1200XE
I just set my front preload on my XE and was at 95mm standard (preload fully out) and have gone to 13 turns in which gives me 85mm So that should be about right with 250mm travel

The rear measuring (by measuring the shock shaft) I get 45mm with me sat on the bike +20mm static sag with wheel off the deck

Doesn’t seem right at the rear reels extremely soft so expected more and it’s already at its softest setting on preload from the factory

Does the XE rear shock shaft definitely have 250mm travel or is the 250mm actually the amount of wheel travel ?

Further to this I measured the sag from the mudguard and the shock travel doesn’t equate to wheel travel which is what confused me

I am 90kg plus kit and have added 13 turns front preload and now have 88mm sag at the front and added 2 turns of rear preload and also have 88mm sag

as standard i had over 100mm sag at the rear

Took it for 100 mile ride today and it felt better and less crashy over bumps and definitely noticed the extra ride height which is something to be aware of if you are shorter

Rear sag at my weight of 225 lbs. is hard to set with this OEM #170 lb. spring. I've been on the phone with OHLINS ( 828 692 4525) Hendersonville, NC. Trying to get it sorted out. Because Triumph chose to use a compound spring. Meaning there are two springs per side. It is a little bit different than a single shock. Almost all YouTube videos are showing single springs. Because my XC is new , nothing showing on the clock as of yet. I was told to put some miles on it and let the suspension settle in. I'm waiting to hear back about a possible stiffer spring rate to upgrade to fit my weight class better. I sent them my spring numbers that are printed on each of the two springs ( Top # 66388 02/27 ) & the bigger one # 66390 02 )to clarify the weight range. I await springtime to call them back. Stay tuned!

I just set my front preload on my XE and was at 95mm standard (preload fully out) and have gone to 13 turns in which gives me 85mm So that should be about right with 250mm travel

The rear measuring (by measuring the shock shaft) I get 45mm with me sat on the bike +20mm static sag with wheel off the deck

Doesn’t seem right at the rear reels extremely soft so expected more and it’s already at its softest setting on preload from the factory

Does the XE rear shock shaft definitely have 250mm travel or is the 250mm actually the amount of wheel travel ?

where’s the preload adjuster on the front suspension kenxe? In the manual it only shows compression damping and rebound damping.

It’s the gold 19mm hex on th top of the fork

from the factory it is set to fully soft but there are 15 turns of adjustment clockwise

if you are much over 80kg I would think the preload would be too soft front and rear

Agreed on the dual spring thoughts . Fiddled with the stock springs on Thruxton R for awhile before realizing the static sag should be little or perhaps zero (lightest setting although I weigh 200 ). Rare bottoming is eliminated with some extra compression dampening .

It’s the gold 19mm hex on th top of the fork

from the factory it is set to fully soft but there are 15 turns of adjustment clockwise

if you are much over 80kg I would think the preload would be too soft front and rear
I am 80 kg without riding gear, I think the rear suspension is very good for me it rides the bumps nicely but the front doesn’t feel quite as good.regards front suspension adjustment your saying the preload is wound fuller out as standard? .theres a video on YouTube if you search triumph scrambler 1200xe suspension adjustment it shows an ohlins lad setting the rear suspension. Also if you can’t get your suspension how you want try reactive suspension in York he’s very good.

the bike is better having set the preload it was quite crashy before and felt like it was blowing through the stroke too fast

The front preload is set fully wound off from the factory but there’s 15 turns of adjustment

I had 100mm sag on the front and 13 turns got me somewhere near where it should be (around 1/3 of the travel)

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom