Swap To 6 Speed From 5 On '96 Thunderbird? Easy As It Looks?

dearborn

Local time
Yesterday, 21:35
First Name
Doug
My Ride
1996 Thunderbird, 1975(ish) Norton Commando
In current UK magazine Classic Bike Guide, there are 2 mentions of swapping to the six speed transmission gearset. I have constantly found myself reaching for another gear on my '96 Thunderbird with the 5 speed transmission. Looking intently at a factory Triumph dealer repair manual, it says, "On models equipped with a five speed gearbox, 6th gear and the splined bush are replaced by a sleeve". The diagrams seem to show the same shift drum, same forks, etc, the only difference appears to be the added gear and the splined bush.
So, since I have to replace a worn shift fork anyway, and I will have it apart, do I only have to add the extra gear and splined bush in place of the blanking sleeve to have a functioning 6th gear?
Used complete gear sets are pretty cheap on Ebay; $50-$100. Wear/damage is usually on 1st/2nd gear, not on 5th/6th "high" gear.
Looks like there is a LOT of interchange on the gearboxes of this '95 thru '99 or so era.
Anybody have any experience with this?

hemibee

Texas Tiger
Riding for 50 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 20:35
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
I have no experience with this swap but I'll be interested in watching the topic.

Baldeagle

Riding for 54 Years
Local time
Today, 02:35
First Name
Brian
My Ride
Bonneville America 2007
Doug sadly I have no experience of the swap.
When I first got my America I found I was always looking for another cog so concur with your feelings.
I did some research and found a cheap and easy solution for me was to change from an 18 to 19 front sprocket,cost was about €25 so cheap and an hours work.
The swap sounds like a great idea but a lot of work,good luck with finding the info you need and look forward to hearing of your progress.

dearborn

Local time
First Name
Doug
My Ride
I got this bike cheap to fix&flip to make a few dollars for other bike/car projects. Had led a hard life, been dropped on L/H side, mild damage, filthy and serviced poorly. Speedo was smashed reading 28k miles. Funny thing is; once damage was fixed with used Ebay parts, a complete servicing and running well, the more I rode it, the more I liked it! Now has lower "superbike bend" 'bars, carb rejet, Speed Triple intake boots, valve adjustment, braided stainless brake hoses, '95 Kaw ZX9 rear shock, wheels trued, new tires, etc, etc with more planned as funds permit, (fork springs, Gold valves, etc). Bike has a gearbox issue on 1st-2nd gearchange, likely a bent or worn shift fork, so at some point it's going to have to come apart, though being gentle changing gears will delay things for a while.
There appears to be quite a bit of interchangeability on these bikes, particularly internal engine/gearbox parts; shift drums, shift forks, etc., all appear to be very similar, but it's hard to be sure. Studying parts diagrams online, on both the 5 speed and 6 speed, looks like the "output" gear set HAS the 6th gear in place, on both, but the "input" gear set on the 5 speed, per the factory Triumph dealer service manual, (don't ask how I got one!), "On models equipped with a 5 speed gearbox, 6th gear and the splined bush are replaced by a sleeve" (on the input gearset). There are a couple of 5 speed gearsets for sale on Ebay and the blanking sleeve can be clearly seen.
Online parts diagrams are a pain, nearest Triumph dealer is hour and a half slog across town and wants to sell you a new bike, a made in Thailand twin, loaded up with accessories, not help you fix old one that's 20 years old but still running. I need to do a lot of research on this. SOMEBODY somewhere has done this, UK?, Oz?, Germany?. Will post updates/info as found.

Baldeagle

Riding for 54 Years
Local time
First Name
Brian
My Ride
Bonneville America 2007
Thanks for the further info,will do a bit of digging this side of the pond see if I can find anything helpful.
I just posted about the proliferation of new bikes in another thread and totally agree with you.
The world is tied up with the latest,biggest,fastest,throwaway etc.which has led to no such thing as aftercare service.
Don't want to hijack but just one example: last year we bought a high end Bose Bluetooth speaker system,it worked for a weekthen failed,on return to the retailer,no replacement sent away for repair which took a month,very unhappy but that's French consumer law and nothing further I could do.

Mad On Triumphs

1995 Thunderbird
Riding for 43 Years
Local time
First Name
Garry
My Ride
1995 Thunderbird 900
I have also thought that my Thunderbird could have done with a 6th gear, but I think that I've just accepted it for what it is. But as you'll be having yours in bits in the near future, then why not upgrade it with another cog. I don't know of anybody that has done this mod, but as you said, someone somewhere has done it. Good luck with it, and if you can take a few pics of your progress along the way.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 22:35
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
I agree that changing the front sprocket can make a noticeable difference and may give you what you want for much less cost and fettling.
But if you're successful in changing the transmission, please keep us up to date.

dearborn

Local time
First Name
Doug
My Ride
Looking through factory dealer service manual, it seems nearly all Triumph bikes, (as of 1997 date), have exact same gearing! Does this mean gearsets, etc, are interchangeable?

dearborn

Local time
First Name
Doug
My Ride
After spending a LOT of time with Triumph FACTORY/dealer workshop manual, gearing on triples (up to 1997 date of manual), is IDENTICAL save for addition of blanking sleeve, etc, for 6th gear delete! So, swap to 6th gear parts should be a drop-in. Bought a super clean Sprint/Tiger complete gearbox, showing nearly zero wear on shift forks, gear teeth, etc, off EBay for $30!!!! Now making a list of seals, gaskets, new clutch etc, to order before tear down. I like to have all things on hand, if possible, before starting a job as things grow legs and run off to hide when left apart. Owned this bike about 4/5 years, 1-2 gearchange has always been weak, (thanks to previous owner!), wanted to fix this since day one. Winter project!!

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 2 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 18:35
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
Great! Continue keeping us updated, please.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 22:35
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville

triumph david

Riding for 60 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
david
My Ride
1976 t140 Triumph, 2006 Road King, 1982 Honda CB 900 C, 1973 Yamaha 360 Enduro, 1972 Corbin
I am interested in this too, keep that info. coming!

dearborn

Local time
First Name
Doug
My Ride
Working on making garage better weather-tight. Insulation, electrical, lighting, etc. COLD out there!

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
You are definitely having some cold weather.

Wire-Wheels

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
My Ride
2002 America, 2000 Legend, 1995 Sprint
Working on making garage better weather-tight. Insulation, electrical, lighting, etc. COLD out there!
This has been a priority with me this year as well. Got some heat in last spring. I am currently moving my mechanical tools over to the heated space. Not getting much work done on the bikes until I'm finished moving my tools. ...J.D.

Attachments

triumph david

Riding for 60 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
david
My Ride
1976 t140 Triumph, 2006 Road King, 1982 Honda CB 900 C, 1973 Yamaha 360 Enduro, 1972 Corbin
JD, know what you mean, that cold weather just kills my finger tips, even 40 degree + cold wrenches keeps me moving slow!

=

Wire-Wheels

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
My Ride
2002 America, 2000 Legend, 1995 Sprint
JD, know what you mean, that cold weather just kills my finger tips, even 40 degree + cold wrenches keeps me moving slow!

With a bad knee and a bad hip moving everything from one building to another is taking me a while. Had to stop and fix a defective curcuit breaker as well. The bikes are on hold right now. At least the heat is up and running in there ! What a blessing :) ...J.D.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Top Bottom