T-Bird Sport Alternator buzzing wierdness

TucsonTriump

Local time
Yesterday, 23:49
First Name
Kyle
My Ride
1998 Triumph T-Bird Sport
This is a head scratcher. I recently acquired a 98 TB Sport with 48K miles on it. Intermittently, after warming up and riding a while, I will get a buzzing sound at idle that I hear on the left side of the engine. The strange thing about it is the sound goes away as soon as I press the brakes. What I'm thinking is the volt draw of the brake light must be doing something to the alternator that causes the buzz to go away. Not sure why. Any ideas? It sort of reminds me of an air conditioning compressor clutch that rattles around until the AC kicks on, but I don't know how that would apply to an alternator. Thoughts?

So no response.. After doing some interweb searching I did find that a common problem with these alternators is the bolt that holds the drive 'gear' on (not sure what that part is called) will shear off. Seems like an easy enough fix and these NP alternators are really common. What I'm wondering is can this alternator work for a while in this 'broken' condition? Seems like the bolt holds the drive in place, but so do (does) the rubber grommets on the engine side. Sure, its going to rattle around and that's not good, but is this an emergency? What's the worst that can happen?

Thank you for the update.

I wouldn't be comfortable riding the bike knowing what you know now.
Do as you wish, but I would get it fixed ASAP and then ride with confidence.

I agree with Rocky.

I agree too. The original post I made referred to a buzzing noise I'm hearing that I think is coming from the alt. I think it may be related to a common problem. Should I pull the alt off to see if it's the bolt? I just don't like removing parts if I don't have to.

Based on your first post, I would pull it and check the bolt. It will be some work; but if the bolt is OK, you can ride with more confidence. If it is the bolt, you have found your problem.

Well, at least it will be good experience working on the bike.

Please let us know what you find. Do you have a manual? Or a You Tube video?

I have a manual and I've watched a video... I'm not afraid of wrenching, but I hate the inevitable learning curve mistakes along the way. Then again, that's the price of experience.

You are off to a good start with the manual and the video. . There is a definite learning curve; but you feel so good when the mission is accomplished.

Good stuff. You shouldn't have any problem.
As Carl said, you really have to know one way or the other what's going on in there.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom